Shop Tour - Post Move

..Kev

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

Looks good Kev.  I wonder, did you give any thought to switching he location of the router table and drum sander so that things like the dado stack and tenon jig are closer to the saw.

I did actually and, still could.  I wanted the DS as close to the DC as possible, although the location of the RT is a very viable option as well.  Also, my sanding supplies live in that cabinet and that stuff gets used at my bench much more than my stack gets put into my saw. Eventually, there will be a couple additions around my TS and the stack will get moved closer and, I need some options for my various TS sleds.  I just haven't designed those items yet.  Future shop builds I'm sure!

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Great video and layout Kev. What is the size of your shop? Not that it really matters as I could have a 50’ x 50’ shop and be as organized;)

Thanks Coop!  That shop is about 25 x 25.  It's just a little too small for what I want to do long term but, it gets the job done for now.

Just now, K Cooper said:

Didn’t you have a wood storage area in you old shop? Do you have plans for one here?

Wood storage in the old shop was in the shop as well.  One of the big differences in this shop is that the DC lives in this shop.  Was out in the garage in the old shop.   The old shop wasn't a lot bigger but, it also didn't have a couple of roll up doors chewing up space.  

As this space is now, I don't have the belt/disc sander which I've missed a couple times.  I also don't have my lathe in there and I'd like to add a shaper.  So, it's functional but, sacrifices had to be made ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bushwacked said:

great tour .. it gives me ideas as well since this summer should be my shop update too.

Are you still thinking/wanting to build a standalone shop in the future to get out of the garage?

Yes. Currently taking bids so, we’ll see how those come back. With my work schedule, I just don’t have the time to build this one like I did the last one. 

8 hours ago, bushwacked said:

very cool!! 

How big of a shop are you thinking of building?

The building will be 30x50 I believe but, the wife will get some space for a quilting area and there will be some storage in there as well.

6 hours ago, legenddc said:

Thanks for sharing. I need to re-watch your worktable build. Why is your 14" bandsaw facing the garage door and not the interior of the shop?

It's actually not facing the door, it's parallel to the door to give me more infeed and outfeed room.

There's a few videos on the worktable but, I absolutely love that table!  Not too sure there's much I'd change on it!

Hi Kev, great video and your organization is outstanding.  I have a 30x40 shop and all that space makes me lazy on getting better organized.  Are you thinking a pole barn style or traditional stick framing for your new shop?  I have the pole barn style but would prefer the stick framed style, especially for utilizing wall space.  The horizontal purlins at 4’ spacing are a pain to work with, pretty much have to attach vertical studs everywhere I want to attach something to the walls.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Hi Kev, great video and your organization is outstanding.  I have a 30x40 shop and all that space makes me lazy on getting better organized.  Are you thinking a pole barn style or traditional stick framing for your new shop?  I have the pole barn style but would prefer the stick framed style, especially for utilizing wall space.  The horizontal purlins at 4’ spacing are a pain to work with, pretty much have to attach vertical studs everywhere I want to attach something to the walls.

My last one was pole and all I did was 2x4 frame the inner walls and then drywall.  You couldn't tell from the inside that it wasn't stick framed.

My new one will probably be stick framed because we have so much rock in the soil.  Pole construction is much more difficult.  We're taking bids both ways.

As for Organization, I like to have a large chunk of open floor space for larger projects.  I still count steps from my primary work area and those tools used most often live the fewest steps from that location.  That would not change in a larger shop!  Everything gets a "home" as that helps me get things put away and keep the shop cleaner.  It's not uncommon for me to stop mid project and take an hour to clean up the shop which is about all it takes.

6 hours ago, Art said:

Thanks for the tour.  Your organization is inspiring.  Tell me you at least cleaned it up for the video, or is it always that clean?

Thanks, It was between projects but, my shop is usually clean.  I will leave out some tools at night if I'm coming right back to them in the morning but, otherwise, I tend to put them away and sweep the floor.  When everything has a home, it's just easy to put them away.