Powermatic jointer score!!!

Minnesota Steve

Finally!   I found a jointer on craigslist after 2+ years for a reasonable price...   Powermatic PM54A.   No rust, great shape, hardly used.   He bought it a few years ago, but then bought a big lathe and  does nothing but turning any more so it was just taking up space.

I was all ready for that sale at Woodcraft this weekend too..

Now I just have to figure out how to get it out of my car... 

IMG_0181.jpg.a58d5a1948e2e48e88014d2470d1c5e4.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Nice. Was it difficult to remove from the base and get in the car?

Not to bad.   There's three bolts you have to remove from the underneath, but they nicely made them with 2" long heads so you can get to them and put a wrench on it.   The one bolt is the hardest to loosen as you have to reach up through the dust port.  We also took off the fence, and the blade guard so I could set the cast iron upside down flat.

Bloody thing is heavy.   Manual says the jointer bed weighs 250lbs.   Fortunately it's going into my garage, so I think we just need to turn it over and slide it straight out back onto the base as it's around the same height as the back of the car.   I'm going to ask my neighbor for some help.   

My buddy got into a car accident yesterday so he's out for a bit.   Some lady on her phone ran a red light and smashed into the front end of his Nissan Rogue.   Everybody is ok, but the car is totaled.   He said luckily he saw her and slammed the brakes, or she would have hit his door.   He's going to be pretty sore for a few days.

They just passed a hands free law here. $50 first ticket, escalates quickly with multiple violations. No hand held phone calls, texting , GPS or anything. One touch is allowed to use mounted devices. Suprisingly factory dash mounted GPS etc is allowed. It kicks in July 1st I think. It's going to be an adjustment but might save lives and improve traffic.

So got it together last night... Neighbor helped me move the bed back on the base, and I bolted it all back together.   I do have about 5 lbs of sawdust sitting in my car, even after we'd cleaned it out before moving it.  :-)

Changed wiring back to 115v from 220v, and started it back up.   The motor started right up and seemed to run smoothly so I'm hoping I wired it right.

This weekend I'll have to go through adjustments on it.   He said the knives needed sharpening, so I need to take them out and get a good look at them. 

• 2 months later...