Anyone know this plant?

Tpt life

Kind of looks like Japanese knotweed.  Grows here on the western side of Washington, kind of looks like bamboo.  Stuff is classified as a noxious weed by the state, damn near took over my property.  It grows near a water source, and since all three of the water sources on my property are salmon runs, I can't use a herbicide to kill the stuff.  If you cut it or pull it, it just grows faster.  The county contacted me an politely asked if they could come on my property and spray.  They promised that they were not looking for any code violations, and would not do anything to piss me off.  They sent about ten college kids with an adult supervisor, to my house, used a spray that is safe for the wildlife and killed most it.  The process takes several years to eliminate it, especially if there is any growing on close by properties.  They have sprayed twice and it is slowly going away.

I'm in western wa, growing up I had to weed the family garden there was a weed my dad called horsetail that was my first thought because of the segmented stalk but after further research (googled horsetail) here is an image

Equisetopsida.jpg

different leaves.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Kind of looks like Japanese knotweed.  

This looks close enough in a photo search that I will call you winner. On the info you provided, I recommended she contact her county extension office. They are super accessible in farmland here. 

Thats good, apparently there is a class available through our state That certifies people to be able to spray the stuff.  I thought about it, but these kids had a good time, and were able to go places on my property my legs won't take me any more.  They did ask me not to cut, pull, smash, or mutilate the weed, apparently thats how it is spread.

A friend takes photos of plants and forwards them to two universities for ID.  He is always finding new plants up in the mountains and is a walking encyclopedia on many of them. He usually hears back within 24-48 hours.  I could get the website of the schools, if you wish.

1 minute ago, Bankstick said:

A friend takes photos of plants and forwards them to two universities for ID.  He is always finding new plants up in the mountains and is a walking encyclopedia on many of them. He usually hears back within 24-48 hours.  I could get the website of the schools, if you wish.

Please. I am a tenting/hammocking hiker and would love the resource. On your tip I may just call Purdue. They do enough ag training here that the extension office is likely to be staffed partially by someone from there invested in protection of natives. I never considered the DNR until you posted this. They have a strong social media presence and quick response time. Off to try that now. 

In college I took a lot of botany classes. We were constantly going out collecting plants, leaves & weeds and then looking up the identity. Sometimes the size or quantity of tiny hairs on the underside of leaves was important. How the leaves are arranged on the plant is another factor. Good sharp pictures of details like those will help because wilted & dry leaves may not be as useful for some key details. 

Growing Location , temperature and conditions  are also important details to record.