New shop and beginner woodworker

Hello all. As the title suggests I am a beginner woodworker but I am eager to learn and advance in the craft. My fiancé and I are closing on our first house in a couple weeks and the house has a 30x30 detached garage that I will use as a dedicated shop. My father was a bit of a woodworker however he passed away a couple years ago and I inherited his tools. They included basically everything I could need to get started, table saw, Bosch routers with table, Bosch sliding miter saw, 6” craftsman jointer, 12” planer, jigsaw, worm drive skil saw, Milwaukee circular saw, plunge router, lots of pipe clamps

My fiancé has requested me to attempt to build a dining room table. She likes the farmhouse trestle table look with benches. I have shown her the video by Third Coast Craftsman, https://www.thirdcoastcraftsman.com/product-page/trestle-table-plans on YouTube and she really likes it. needless to say it is a large undertaking as it is mortise and tenon, breadboard top and draw boarding, no mechanical fasteners. I want to tackle it but would this be a mistake? Especially since the lumber isn’t a small cost. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest joining the Guild (if you haven't already) there's a couple of those tables in there with some very detailed instruction to guide you along.  Reality is that anything you get for free on YT isn't going to really give you enough detail if you haven't done it before.

Cool part about the Guild is that you get the plans, cut lists, and the guided instruction.

Now, for the record, even tho I'm an admin here, that advise comes from me, not the admin.

Just now, JayhawkCRNA said:

I actually joined it when someone bought me the chest of drawers plan, but I haven’t gotten to start that and we would want the table first. I do enjoy the quality of instruction though.

So, you'd just need to go purchase that project and go for it.

Congrats on the new house and shop BTW!

Marc did a trestle table on his free site that has good details. It's not the same style as the one you posed but it doesn't say anywhere you have to make it to his style.

I love making tables they are somewhat simple and very rewarding. The Roubo build would probably be the best project to buy that is as close to what you want. Big timber big M&T joints draw bore. You'll have to come up with your own table design but that is easy. Through tenons are covered in Marc's free video on the knockdown trestle table.

The Morris chair build covers big M&G joints regular M&T joints as well as through tenons. It also has a lot of techniques in it that can apply to a wide variety of projects.

If you use the search feature on this website i'm sure you can find some journals for tables that are done by people that include lots of pictures and good details.

I agree w "curly " . Start with some small projects first. You could build a coffee( bedside or end)  table in that style as a practice run. However you proceed I recommend buying some poplar or other inexpensive hardwood & practice the breadboard & mortice & tenon joinery long before you even think about tackling any table with those details.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I agree w "curly " . Start with some small projects first. You could build a coffee( bedside or end)  table in that style as a practice run. However you proceed I recommend buying some poplar or other inexpensive hardwood & practice the breadboard & mortice & tenon joinery long before you even think about tackling any table with those details.

Thanks for the tips. I understand pricing can vary widely. What should I expect poplar to cost per bf?

I watched that build from the Third Coast Craftsman not too long ago and really liked it.  That dude does well, especially for a hand tool heavy neanderthal.  I doubt the $10 plan will give you a ton of detail, but for $10 I'd think it worth a shot...and, well, it's a table.  They're not difficult.  We can always walk you through parts you are unclear about.

Is there a project that you all would suggest to start with for mortise and tenon work? I would rather make something if I am practicing the joint rather than just cutting joints that are not used.

i was thinking maybe. Couple sturdy saw horses out of some big box construction lumber.

IMG_0690.thumb.JPG.5d99d09c4fe8ef86d50cfa010bae3cca.JPGIMG_0691.thumb.JPG.5cdd345e6adea15948f1cec21f55d30a.JPGTo me the best starter project in furniture is the shaker end table it has m&t’s,dovetails and edge joining a top. All great joints to learn on a smaller scale an is a awesome looking piece. An only about 10-15 board feet of lumber so not a lot of expense either

This small table was based on the shaker table. I made it as an entry table for keys and whatnot. It was fairly simple without putting a drawer in. 

I've made a few tables over the last couple of years and it was fairly easy to translate that into a dining table. The theory/practice is all the same just on a bigger scale.

Final.thumb.jpg.3f79036c424142de4386b7e9e36fd85f.jpg

• Like 1

5b16271665754_iphone3gpics197.thumb.JPG.4927b2a120cd9633b9fc515cb58ec9ab.JPG

Go to a shop that does woodwork. Ask for scraps for a breadboard. It would be little or no money.  Make something that requires dressing lumber. and glue joints. Sanding and finishing. Something easy and build confidence. 

The first six months of my informal apprenticeship was how long I was made to wait before I was aloud to touch anything that could hurt me. I was kept busy and was happy after 5 months I was on a tiny trimming router. My teacher lost a finger 2 months in as a kid. When I was finally turned loose I knew what the steps were with confidence.

Mostly remember you are dealing with dangerous tools. Do not proceed without certainty of safe procedures. Build your knowledge at a reasonable rate. Then you will become fully addicted like many here...

Speed is not important early on. Be willing to undo or scrap your work if it is substandard. Be demanding of what you will accept of your work.

A woodworker is a shop keeper. Meaning we are constantly putting our tools back and cleaning. And cleaning. It never stops. Another early project before even a cutting board is shop fixtures. Like benches and storage racks for material and shelves for sand paper and glue and varnish etc. I would not start anything until I had a decent bench...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Red oak probably isn't much more than that either. 

And then we run into Maple a few pennies more..

See, learning already. This is called project creep. You start set on poplar and end up at Cocobolo. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

If you decide to make a small table, such as a shaker, or whatever, Id recommend making it with a drawer. You dont have to dovetail it, but theres so many parts to drawer making that are valuable to know. My first real project was two shaker tables. They are a crash course in joinery and techniques, but nothing complex, M & T's, breadboard ends, dovetails, and tapered legs. I didnt find the project overwhelming as a first project, and I didnt have all that much for tools when I made them. So Im with the others that said a small side table would be a great starter project. But I think making it with a drawer is the way to go.

Heya! Welcome to the craft. I started in a similar situation as you are in. My approach, for what it’s worth, was to pick a tool or two and become really, really familiar with it. I started with the bandsaw. I learned how to set it up, change blades, square a fence, adjust for drift, change tires, and basically strip the thing down and build it back up.

I didn’t touch a table saw until I had taken an intro to tablesaw safety class, which I cannot emphasize enough. Even then, I would watch many hours of table saw safety on YouTube and the magazines/books....you know, reading . Until you can explain why kickback happens, and can describe how to do your basic cuts properly, don’t even plug the thing in. Learn how to tune it properly before you plug it in. I’m a bit of a safety freak, but it’s a serious and potentially life and limb altering hobby. 

Give yourself permission to enjoy the journey. If you rush into it, you will be frustrated, and miss the beautiful scenery that comes with learning the skills you will one day use to build that table.