Perfect 6" steel rule

Ronn W

I don't like any of the steel rules that I have seen.  I do not want a conversion chart on the back - I want another useful scale.  I really don't want a mix of American and metric scales.  I don't use 1/64th's ( mostly because I can't see them so good anymore and I don't use 1/32's because that's just halfway between 1/16".  I want a stop one one end to register the edge of a board and  a square end on the other to measure from an inside surface.  Here's a quick sketch of the one I wish I could find.

Capture.JPG.bef34335b4bc6c41658e376672e8c523.JPG

So here is the question:  Tell us the characteristics that you prefer in a pocket rule....I can't be the only one..........

These don’t really fit in a pocket but I’ve found them simply mind blowing when it comes to marking out.  My pocket rule is a Toledo metric rule. I don’t deal with imperial measurements without converting them. It’s  Simple, small and has really clear markings.  the incra is next level though. 

396F841D-BFF4-4DF8-B0CB-E2D83E5A1BB8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Art said:

I use my Veritas Precision Squares almost exclusively as rules:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=66573&cat=1,42936

They are small enough to easily fit inside my apron pocket and essentially have the features you're looking for.

I have one of those & use it all the time. Can't believe I haven't lost it yet cause it always falls out of my apron pocket.

2 hours ago, lewisc said:

These don’t really fit in a pocket but I’ve found them simply mind blowing when it comes to marking out.  My pocket rule is a Toledo metric rule. I don’t deal with imperial measurements without converting them. It’s  Simple, small and has really clear markings.  the incra is next level though. 

396F841D-BFF4-4DF8-B0CB-E2D83E5A1BB8.jpeg

This. 

They also make a flat ruler with 1/32 increments which I use constantly.

5 hours ago, Art said:

I use my Veritas Precision Squares almost exclusively as rules:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=66573&cat=1,42936

They are small enough to easily fit inside my apron pocket and essentially have the features you're looking for.

I like that.  I see 1/16" graduations.  Is the other side the same?

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Can't believe I haven't lost it yet cause it always falls out of my apron pocket.

Does that mean that is now an "almost" precision square?

12 hours ago, Ronn W said:

It's metric on the otherside. I find this reduces it's usability a lot because it makes it difficult to work on both ends of a board. I always mark square and measure in from the same edge to reduce potential errors. I like your idea at the top better. Wonder if we could find someone to make a small batch?

I find myself locking in mini squares to the dimension I need and leaving it set for the project. I rarely carry my rule. I use it to set the squares at times then disregard the measurement going forward. Admittedly I build very little and spend most of my time repairing. For this I often am setting the square from the stock I am replacing. 

@Ronn W the Utilitas rulers from veritas look much like what you're asking for:

20190102_1047051.thumb.jpg.6085c3c33987b2d973c3425c45b34508.jpg

Lays flat, but has ears to hook on the end of the board.  1/16 th marks (and I agree with you about 1/64th).  Flip side has the the numbers running the opposite direction:

20190102_1046181.thumb.jpg.a5da8cce4a730956576e7e736c744813.jpg

But to answer your question about what do I use most, absolutely it's the plastic ruler.  I love the way the markings are laid out and most the time I am looking for an approximate dimension.  If I am more serious about the dimension then I use the inexpensive combo square.  It's always laying about, so it's more handy then the Utilitas, which I never remember to put in my pocket.  For turning I often use the cheapo callipers (but never the vernier scale).  

5 minutes ago, Mark J said:

the Utilitas rulers from veritas look much like what you're asking for:

I saw that one after I started this post and like it except that you have to tilt it ot grab the edge of the board.  That one is getting closer.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

It's metric on the otherside. I find this reduces it's usability a lot because it makes it difficult to work on both ends of a board. I always mark square and measure in from the same edge to reduce potential errors. I like your idea at the top better. Wonder if we could find someone to make a small batch?

Hey,  Can you double check that the back side is metric.  Because they sell a separate metric version of these squares. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

That's odd.  My Veritas precision squares are 16ths on the long leg and 32nds on the short leg on both sides.  This goes for the large and small precision square.

Google '6" hook rule' for a lot of variations.  The iGaging looks a lot like what you're after; not quite, but, close.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:45 PM, Ronn W said:

Does that mean that is now an "almost" precision square?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier.  They are identical on both sides.  It is 1/16ths on the long sides and 1/32nds on the short sides.  I have both the imperial and metric ones.