narrow shop paper towels

treesner

anyone have a source for the blue shop paper towels but not in the full size, in the narrower half size that other normal paper towels are starting to come in?

I havent been able to find any, my current solution is to just cut the roll in half on the bandsaw but I dont like the fuz that comes off on the cut side 

8 hours ago, JohnG said:

OP is looking for the blue shop towels, not regular paper towels. 

Following in case there’s a good deal on this. I currently just rip off half a sheet of the shop towels, but it also leaves fuzzy edges and is not ideal.

precisely my problem 

6 hours ago, drzaius said:

I find the good quality white paper towels to be just about as good as the blue ones. They're less expensive and available in the narrow select-a-size.

can you recommend a brand that is on par for thickness and lint free in that narrow width

8 hours ago, treesner said:

can you recommend a brand that is on par for thickness and lint free in that narrow width

I use Kirkland "select a size" from Costco.  Even at the "select a size" I cut a roll into four sections for small finishing tasks. I cut them on the bandsaw with a fine tooth blade and use compressed air to blow away any fuzzies.  I don't have problems with lint left over from the cutting process.  The standard "select a size" is maybe a half or a third of a regular towel(?).  This works for even large finishing tasks.

Try this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kimberly-Clark-Wypall-L40-Wipers-Blue-Wypall-Plus-Wiperall-Purpose-Med-Duty/1300849448?iid=391848739729&chn=ps

The company I work for used to sell them but they were slow movers so we discontinued the item.  I bought a case.  I looked up what I bought and Googled it.  The above option popped up and it looks like the same thing I have.

This is what I Googled if you want to cut and paste to look for other options:

#05740 WYPALL PLUS  POP-UP BOX BLUE  9.8 X 16.4  9/100'S

Good luck.

8 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I use Kirkland "select a size" from Costco.  Even at the "select a size" I cut a roll into four sections for small finishing tasks. I cut them on the bandsaw with a fine tooth blade and use compressed air to blow away any fuzzies.  I don't have problems with lint left over from the cutting process.  The standard "select a size" is maybe a half or a third of a regular towel(?).  This works for even large finishing tasks.

I usually keep both a roll of the Kirkland and a roll of the blue shop towels in the shop. The Kirkland ones are pretty good, but I still prefer the blue towels for certain things. Both purchased from Costco. 

I hadn’t thought about cutting the rolls, is that reason enough to buy a bigger bandsaw? :P

I find this to be i guess an issue as well. I just have a scissors by the box. I pull out a section roll it up and cut it in half. I set one section aside for future use, it usually doesn't last long. Cutting individually takes longer than a pre-made roll but it saves the fuzzy edge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 7:17 AM, Minnesota Steve said:

I wonder if Kimwipes would work for you?  They're lint free, pretty strong and they come in a range of sizes.   I've mostly seen them used to clean grease and oil off stuff, so I can't remember how soft they are.

are they thick like the bluenose though?

On 2/13/2019 at 8:13 AM, Byrdie said:

Try this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kimberly-Clark-Wypall-L40-Wipers-Blue-Wypall-Plus-Wiperall-Purpose-Med-Duty/1300849448?iid=391848739729&chn=ps

The company I work for used to sell them but they were slow movers so we discontinued the item.  I bought a case.  I looked up what I bought and Googled it.  The above option popped up and it looks like the same thing I have.

This is what I Googled if you want to cut and paste to look for other options:

#05740 WYPALL PLUS  POP-UP BOX BLUE  9.8 X 16.4  9/100'S

Good luck.

that seems kind of huge. was looking for the half size that are like 4" wide

2 hours ago, treesner said:

that seems kind of huge. was looking for the half size that are like 4" wide

Funny because they seem kinda small to me.  They're about half the size of the shop towels I used to buy.  Have a box right here - they're 9.8x16.4 inches or 24.8x41.6 cm.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:59 PM, treesner said:

are they thick like the bluenose though?

I don't know... haven't used them since I was in college some 25 years back... 

They were heavy duty and absorbent.  I would try to locate a small box.   These are what's used in industry, science labs, etc.   If they work, you can buy them in bulk cheap.