Grrriper Question

Mark J

So I was thinking about getting the Grrriper for my new table saw, but I wanted to hear from folks here.   Looking at the pictures I realized that to use the Grrriper the saw's blade guard has to be removed.  It seems counterintuitive to me to defeat one safety system so you can use another one.  

25 minutes ago, Barron said:

Some cuts require the removal of the guard, thin rips, for example. The Gripper is great for these cuts. 

Yes, this is when the gripper can really shine.  But I use mine almost all the time, and to be honest I don't have the blade guard on my saw. 

I carefully considered getting one, but realized that I would only very rarely get to use it. I only remove the guard when absolutely necessary & if the Grripper will fit between the fence & guard, then the Grripper isn't even needed. When I emailed the company about my conundrum, the reply basically said that with a Grripper, you don't need the guard.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Yes, this is when the gripper can really shine.  But I use mine almost all the time, and to be honest I don't have the blade guard on my saw. 

I’m glad you were the first to confessional as I don’t either! B). My saw was meant to cut wood and I understand and respect that. I love my GRR-RIPPER! 

I use mine a lot. They can be a little time consuming to set up and tweak, but they work great. Table saw, router table and jointer - I get my money's worth out of them.

The one thing I've noticed is that I get more precise cuts using them since they do grip so well. Constant pressure against the fence.

I find I really only use it on thin rips, bit I only bought one. Maybe it'd be different if I had a pair. My guard is only on maybe half the time, mostly because it's a pain to adjust the height of my riving knife and I need it low to use my sled.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 1:59 PM, Mark J said:

So I was thinking about getting the Grrriper for my new table saw, but I wanted to hear from folks here.   Looking at the pictures I realized that to use the Grrriper the saw's blade guard has to be removed.  It seems counterintuitive to me to defeat one safety system so you can use another one.  

I sold mine, didn't like it at all, just felt unsafe to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one with all the attachments and it is ok - not brilliant but ok. A push stick like the one Marc Spagnulo sells is cheaper, keeps your hand/fingers much higher out of the path of the blade and you don't mind if it (the push stick! ) gets hacked to pieces - you can make another very easily.