Breadbox

Mick S

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

Great job and some stunning stock you found to build with.

So the two subtle changes to the project I see are no metal inset on door and flush through tenons on sides. Any other changes?

I also hinged the top door on the bottom - made more sense to me since it goes under cabinets. Also, where Marc’s lower door is it’s a drawer on mine. 

• Like 2

I like the front wood on your's, really some nice looking stuff.

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

Also, where Marc’s lower door is it’s a drawer on mine.

Interesting, When I saw Marc's in the early stages I thought the bottom was going to be a drawer but but I was wrong.  But you fixed it.;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

made more sense to me since it goes under cabinets

As beautiful as that is, is there any room on the counter?  I like everything about it.  The nicely finished walnut makes me want to stare. Air dried, maybe you knew the tree? Is it claro walnut? It sure is mesmerizing. Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Prominent is where it belongs.   Mick, you must have a big space to store that much wood. Sounds like a real score.

Not really. I store a lot of it in the garage next to my shop in vertical racks and the rest in a storage room off the breezeway. In addition to the ~ 1000 bf of walnut I wound up with, I had ~ 500 feet of cherry plus misc other stuff, quarter sawn white oak, sasparilla, maple, etc. When it was all said and done, I paid roughly 60 cents a foot for the lot.

38 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

That’s a great place for spalted wood, well done. Whatcha doing splitting walnut? ;)

What would I do with 4000 bf of walnut? Even after splitting it I usually trade it with Carl for the cherry. I used most of the cherry on the kitchen cabinets.

• Like 1