Hammer5573

What’s Your Favorite Dovetail Saw

I’m looking to purchase a new dovetail saw soon and was looking for some input regarding the brand that people prefer. My son gave me a Rob Cosman crosscut saw for Christmas and I have to say that it is an awesome handsaw; however, it’s pricey. I do like the fit of the handgrip on the Cosman saw. I have a Veritas dovetail saw but I’m just not sold on the design. 
Any input would be appreciated.

My favorite is my Rob Cosman DT saw. I have a couple other handsaws, both Bad Axe ,which are awesome as well but for DT's its always the Cosman. I have no personal experience but I have heard good thongs about the Veritas DT saw is well.

I have been really happy with my Bad Axe. Like a lot of things, so much of it is how the saw feels in your hand. 

I've never had one of the boutique saws in my hand.  My dovetail saw is an old Stanley that I'll put up against any, in my hands. The important part is in the sharpening, which I do myself.  I see that LN is getting 40 bucks for sharpening one.  Maybe I should go in the saw sharpening business, when I retire.

The LN dovetail saws look pretty hard to beat, for the price though.  If I was needing to buy a new one, that's probably where I would start.

Ha! My "dovetail saw" is a cheap, hardware store backsaw, salvaged from a miter box kit and re-filed for rip cuts. If I was going for a 'boutique' saw, it would have to be a BearCat.

4 hours ago, Llama said:

Bad Axe, you can customize the handle size, wood/spine choices.

Hey Mel! Where the hell you been and how are you and the family? Miss ya bud! 

• Like 2

I have the Veritas and it’s the fine tooth version. It’s ok, but nothing to write home about.

I use my LN carcasse saw for larger dovetails and it works fine for that. I don’t have a boutique saw for dovetails; my skill level doesn’t match some of the tools I already have! 

I’ve even used a hacksaw and that works well too :) 

Yeah, one or two. No matter how I try to avoid it, I can never really get the wood exactly the way I want it with machines alone.  I can't think of one project, that I would consider "furniture" that doesn't wind up with  a hand plane of some sort being part of the construction.

• Like 1

The Lie-Nielsen has become an excellent value saw. If it fits your budget, I fail to see how you'll go wrong.

If you're on a tight budget a gents saw is very effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G S Haydon said:

The Lie-Nielsen has become an excellent value saw. If it fits your budget, I fail to see how you'll go wrong.

Wha whaaaaaaaaa???????? How are you Graham??

4 hours ago, G S Haydon said:

To add to that - I've never bought a LN tool I didn't immediately fall in love with. The price can be a shocker but you never regret it once it's in your hands against wood.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Wha whaaaaaaaaa???????? How are you Graham??

+1

I use my LN dovetail saw. I like Japanese saws too, they were my first choice when I started cutting dovetails, but I found out I make more accurate cuts with my LN. 

I have the Veritas but it’s too light; I like a heavier saw. I’m thinking that it’s either the Gramercy or the Cosman 

9 minutes ago, Hammer5573 said:

I have the Veritas but it’s too light; I like a heavier saw. I’m thinking that it’s either the Gramercy or the Cosman 

The Gramercy is the lightest saw of them all. It is the complete opposite of the Rob Cosman saw. The RC saw looks nice, but it is designed for a beginner. Dovetail sawing requires a light touch for control. The heavy weight of the RC saw is like taking a sledge hammer to swap a fly.

Review of the Gramercy:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/GramercyDovetailSaw.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hammer5573

You're in danger of getting to much advice. Fine Woodworking have done reviews on dovetail saws and the Cosman range of saws and said they are great.

If you can get to a show, tool meet or club to try some out, that would be helpful.

Any of the saws you are thinking about using will have good resale value if you don't like them

Yes....as much as I appreciate Derek’s advice, I prefer a heavier saw in my hand. As I mentioned in my initial post, I have a Cosman crosscut saw and do like it. I guess it’s just user preference. I do appreciate all of the great information that all of you experts have given me.