Three-sided stools

derekcohen

54 minutes ago, derekcohen said:

I did manage to get contrasting wedges for the tenons passed her image.gif.dff43f7ad514d71b2c79e9775ba2ccef.gif

Because of your good behavior and going the yes dear route on the previous decisions, the wedges should not require permission...

As all your work, well done! Clever stretcher idea. They do look comfortable.

Derek as always thanks for the explanations and pics!! One question what was turned on the lathe exactly I'm guessing just a shallow carve out the top of the seat correct? If that's correct how deep would you say your went at your deepest point?

On another note how do you like your Nova DP?

16 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Derek as always thanks for the explanations and pics!! One question what was turned on the lathe exactly I'm guessing just a shallow carve out the top of the seat correct? If that's correct how deep would you say your went at your deepest point?

On another note how do you like your Nova DP?

The completed hollow is about 6mm (1/4") deep at the centre.

The Nova is an excellent lathe. Powerful and stable. I love the variable speed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

15 hours ago, Coop said:

Derek, the tapering  of the leg stopped at the bottom of the seat and did not continue thru the seat, correct?

Coop, that is correct. The mortice runs about half the depth.

EDIT: Sorry, I am referring here to the stretchers, not the legs/seat. The leg tenons continue through the seat. In other words, there is a mortice all the way through - how else could they be wedged? The tenons, however, are not tapered, but parallel and have a shoulder. The seat rests on the shoulder and is not held by a taper. That is one reason that the wedge in line with the seat grain will not affect the seat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Derek, how much weight do you suppose the stretchers would take? I am going to need to make some stools, but have grand kids that are into their teens & you know how a teenaged brain works. Your design really appeals to me & I may borrow some elements for my stools.

1 hour ago, derekcohen said:

Frank, you and I could together stand on a stool, jumpy up and down, and it would remain solid. That is a combination of the triangulation design and hardwood.

Regards from Perth

Derek

What about the stretchers? I'm visualizing an 18 year old with lots of enthusiasm, but little awareness of structural limitations putting all his weight on a stretcher.

1 hour ago, derekcohen said:

In this case, I suggest a book on parenting skills  :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's probably a good point. It's actually not the 18 YO I would be concerned with. He's autistic & one of his dominant characteristics is that he takes proper procedure & safety practices VERY seriously. Explain it once to him & never have to worry about it again. If any of us get carried away with whatever, we can expect a polite, but stern lecture from James.

• Like 2

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e