Entertainment Center

Coop

On 6/22/2022 at 11:33 PM, BonPacific said:

That ambrosia is going to look stunning. The whole piece is looking excellent Coop!

Thanks. I sure hope so. Again, I wish the heartwood here was a little lighter to accent the ambrosia streaks. I have a stunning piece of sap wood curly maple that is very white that I would like to use but I’m afraid it would be too light in color and be distractive. It would almost be the same shade as the drawer boxes shown now.  The wild side of me says band the outside edges of the ambrosia maple drawer fronts with walnut?

Are you going to use an oil based finish or water based? Given the color of the wood and how things look now, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I would say that the walnut would look a lot better with an oil borne finish though.

I think the color and tone of the abrosia ties in really well with the color and tone of the heart wood maple. Maybe your comment on it being lighter will be more obvious later but I think it looks great right now. Also the heart wood color and tone ties in really well with the walnut that you have on top.

• Like 1

I made a sample board from the inside of one of the drawer fronts and applied ARS, GF HP, and  Zinsser Seal Coat (dewaxed shellac). So far, I like the shellac the best. I mixed up some WellerMart blonde shellac flakes yesterday and will try it today. The top will definitely be ARS. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I'm a little behind here, but I do love me some finger joints. They are my go to for drawers. Easy, fast, and strong as a bull. And they look darn good too.

What's your go to method for making them? I have a router jig to make drawers but it isn't my favorite. I've often thought about the iBox jig but never have been motivated enough. It'd also be tempting to make a dedicated fence for a miter gauge but i haven't gone down that avenue yet.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

What's your go to method for making them? I have a router jig to make drawers but it isn't my favorite. I've often thought about the iBox jig but never have been motivated enough. It'd also be tempting to make a dedicated fence for a miter gauge but i haven't gone down that avenue yet.

I use William Ng 's method, using a table saw. It's simple and almost foolproof. I love the guy, he's brilliant and has a goofy sense of humor that amuses me. I wish he could produce more videos though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I’ve made 3 or 4 for the TS and saved the good test pieces for setting it up works like a dream also I’ve made them on my Leigh jig and that works even better once it’s set up

On 6/23/2022 at 12:12 AM, Coop said:

The wild side of me says band the outside edges of the ambrosia maple drawer fronts with walnut?

I don't know if you still have this idea rattling around.  But something else that might look good would be to make horizontal walnut drawer pulls that run the full width of the top of each drawer front.  These horizontal elements would echo the horizontal top.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...