Good starter set of chisels.

Sparky1951

The Narex are a great value for the money... I've got a full set of their bench chisels, a set of paring chisels and a couple mortising chisels, A quick honing and you're good to go... The sharpen up quickly and hold up well. If you want to spend more cash, you can, but for value, Narex is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who's been through the whole "gear up" phase for the last four years, I'd recommend against a set. I do have a set of new Stanley sockets, but I use common sizes the most. Look at H.O. Studley.... even his 1/2" chisel was worn down the most out of all his chisels.

My favorite chisels are the ones I picked up at M-WTCA meets. Old Buck Bros and Stanleys. I have a 2 1/2" Weatherby firmer chisel that is awesome. I think I paid 20 bucks for it.

Most used vs what is necessary is an interesting debate.  Is one high end chisel better than a set of less expensive ones?

Most used vs what is necessary is an interesting debate. Is one high end chisel better than a set of less expensive ones?

I'd say it is, if you buy a set of say 4, and only use 1. I have multiple sets, ranging from 1/4" to 2". I use the 1/4" and 1/2" almost exclusively.

Of course, that is just my personal experience, and may not apply to anyone else.

Most used vs what is necessary is an interesting debate.  Is one high end chisel better than a set of less expensive ones?

I think it depends what you mean by a set. I'd recommend a small set over one really nice chisel. A small set of 3 to 5 chisels will cover most of the tasks you will run in into. something like 1/4", 1/2" and 1" will go a long way. add in a 3/8" & 3/4" and you might not ever need more. 

What you actually need always comes down to the diversity of your work.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a set and put them to use on a small project. They definitely were not very sharp, which I actually liked because it forced me to work on my sharpening. Got a pretty decent edge on the one I was using and it was a joy to use. Much better than my "tool bag chisels". Great feel, weight, and length.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought a set of narex chisels through amazon and the come pretty sharp.

The handles feel good and I like the weight of them too.

I know my dad one day bought some chisels and they where feather like, he asked my grandfather to sharpen them and he told my dad they would get blunt just laying around.

I got the set of 4 and I believe the current Lee Valley pricing is cheaper then amazon

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the narex chisels and so far I love them. Granted they were my first real set, replacing Harbor freight set. Very little work to get them flat and have stayed sharp. I would recommend the mk 2 honing guide though. I used a 15 dollars guide for about 20 minutes then ordered on online. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2015 at 9:12 AM, Dan S said:

I think it depends what you mean by a set. I'd recommend a small set over one really nice chisel. A small set of 3 to 5 chisels will cover most of the tasks you will run in into. something like 1/4", 1/2" and 1" will go a long way. add in a 3/8" & 3/4" and you might not ever need more. 

What you actually need always comes down to the diversity of your work.

This is true.  I have many chisels that only come out to play for special events.  If I did not have them I could make do with others.  What I mean to say is that if I started over I would buy the chisels I needed as I needed them.  I would still have a dozen or more but, I wouldn't have to store all the rest ;-)

Plane Till (55).jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm looking at buying some decent chisels soon. I'm currently using my dad's chisels, an older Marples set. They seem decent enough, but they aren't mine. I don't do a lot of in-shop fine woodworking, but I've start to do some and plan to learn and do more (vocationally I do framing, building, renovating). 

The discussion in this thread about sizes resonates with me. I find that I mainly use a few sizes, mainly 1/2". 

I'm considering buying either a set or a selection of Narex chisels from LV, AND one very good chisel, a Veritas PM-V11 1/2" bench chisel. The Narex will cover by basis on size variety, and the Veritas will give me one excellent tool in a size I already know I'll use often. Over time I can add more higher end chisels as I can/need. 

Anyone have thoughts on my plans?

18 minutes ago, BeardedCarpenter said:

I'm looking at buying some decent chisels soon. I'm currently using my dad's chisels, an older Marples set. They seem decent enough, but they aren't mine. I don't do a lot of in-shop fine woodworking, but I've start to do some and plan to learn and do more (vocationally I do framing, building, renovating). 

The discussion in this thread about sizes resonates with me. I find that I mainly use a few sizes, mainly 1/2". 

I'm considering buying either a set or a selection of Narex chisels from LV, AND one very good chisel, a Veritas PM-V11 1/2" bench chisel. The Narex will cover by basis on size variety, and the Veritas will give me one excellent tool in a size I already know I'll use often. Over time I can add more higher end chisels as I can/need. 

If your OCD can tolerate incomplete sets, sounds like a great plan.  My head would explode.

• Like 1

My SIL has a set of cheap Irwin chisels, yellow plastic handles. Anyway, we beat them to death doing his kitchen demo & reno, so I offered to sharpen them. It took about an hour to flatten the backs & get a shaving edge on them. The next week I used them to pare some red oak baseboard we had to reinstall. I was quite impressed, considering they are such cheap chisels.

15 hours ago, Eric. said:

If your OCD can tolerate incomplete sets, sounds like a great plan.  My head would explode.

I took the advice of the Schwarz and decided to try one premium chisel in 1/2" size.  I liked it enough that I added almost all the chisels in the set over time as needed.  In my case, I bought a LN 1/2" and a LV 1/4" PMV-11. The LN one because I like the balance of the socket chisel but the LV's are nice and the steel is definitely more resilient and stay sharper longer. My most used chisels correspond to my most used joinery tasks, mortise and tenon. So I use the 1/4", 3/8", and 3/4" the most.  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 8:00 PM, BeardedCarpenter said:

I find the Veritas PMV11 bench chisel handles to be entirely too small. They are also oblong, which isn't overly comfortable to hold if you're rotating your chisel at all when using it. I personally prefer socket chisels like the Lie Nielsen Bevel edge socket chisels. They also give you the flexibility to turn your own handles. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guess I'm pretty lucky I've got 3 sets of chisels. My first set, that I still have and use are the British made Marples (not the ones with the Marples name made by Irwin).  Next I bought a very complete set of Narex - the only Narex ones I'd keep are the paring chisels.  The one problem Narex has is they are too soft  - I think they're Rockwell 58-59, pretty soft.  Now my best chisels are by far, the Lie Nielsen.  I also have large set of two cherries; they are good but a little clunky.  Either way you go, you'll get just what you pay for.

fordy9r

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been buying my chisels at auctions and estate sales etc. for over 40 years and wouldn't know what to do with a matched set. My "Go To" chisels are all 70+ years old. My all time favorite is a 5/8 Buck Bros. Takes and holds a hell of an edge. Would like to try some of the newer high end chisels like Lee Nielsen (sp). Hard to justify when I have 2-4 of each size already. Just start using whatever you can get and you will develop a feel for quality. "Just Do It"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • ..Kev unpinned this topic