Cherry Table

Coop

7 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

be careful when it rains coop, if you grab the gun instead of the umbrella you'll shoot your eye out:lol: seriously coop, nice work, the sapwood looks great, oh yeah, don't forget to sign and date it, it's going to be around for a long, long time

Thanks, you bearded Floridian, I already did, only to make the kids feel guilty when they put it in a garage sale?

I like the sapwood, like REALLY like the sapwood. The apron is too tall. If you were doing a drawer it's the right size but without it seems a bit excessive. There is something about the legs, reminds me of a high school girlfriend who was 6'3" with the most amazing legs. Don't tell my current girl friend i said that ;) I like the long taper.

Looks like a BB gun to me the end of that stock would be less than comfortable with any sort of recoil.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm not bothered by the apron, I think the piece looks good. More critique of your photography than your woodworking but the legs still look distorted in the second photo. How much taper is there?

Thanks to all of you for the compliments and the opnions. The suggestions will be applied to the next project. I think the legs in the example are not splayed. I took a pic of a pic and they do look different in both. The taper is from 2" to 11/4". 

This is personal taste and no fault of your piece, but I like to see a small portion of strait leg below the apron before the taper begins. I think if you left the legs as is and just raised the apron about an inch it would accomplish both what Steve suggested and give the legs more appeal. 

I do like the sap wood, and your clean joinery.

• Like 1

I agree with the comments above about the aprons. Very nice table overall, the tapers are great and the top has just the right amount of sapwood without being overkill. Another option for the aprons would be to incorporate a small cloud lift on the ends. That would certainly make it appear a bit shorter. Could just be my preferences for and G&G design elements but I think that could look cool. Nice job!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cliff said:

I like it. I have no business critiquing anything, and therefore I won't. The sap is great.

The credentials for critiquing are earned by making similar mistakes and learning from them. I built 2 bedside tables for myself and cut the mortices on the outside of the tapered legs. Already had it glued up before I noticed. Damn things look bow legged .

• Like 1