Other hobbies?

MisterDrow

I'm a web application programmer by career and have taken on woodworking as a personal hobby both for the enjoyment of doing it and the satisfaction of seeing things I make decorate my home. I'm curious what other hobbies folks here have outside of woodworking (which is a career for many here, I know).

As for myself, I enjoy tabletop gaming, the occasional video game (okay, maybe not so occasional), and I compete in Scottish Highland Games competitions around the region. The tabletop gaming and video games are primarily for bonding time with my kids, though my two youngest (son and daughter) also participate in the kids' division of local Highland Games events.

Woodworking is the hobby that consumes all other hobbies, so the ones I used to enjoy have kind of been eroded over the last decade or so.

I used to be crazy about fly fishing, and I've always enjoyed canoeing, hiking and backpacking.  I recently got into cycling, though with a tree falling through my roof and 110* heat index, I haven't done much lately.  I've tinkered with a million other hobbies over the years but those are the ones that stick around with consistency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Woodworking is the hobby that consumes all other hobbies, so the ones I used to enjoy have kind of been eroded over the last decade or so.

I used to be crazy about fly fishing, and I've always enjoyed canoeing, hiking and backpacking.  I recently got into cycling, though with a tree falling through my roof and 110* heat index, I haven't done much lately.  I've tinkered with a million other hobbies over the years but those are the ones that stick around with consistency.

I used to do a LOT of fishing and camping before I got married. My wife loves fishing but hates camping (can't for the life of me figure out why) but sadly we've only gone fishing 2-3 times in the 16 years we've been married. We have been talking lately about changing that since we also think the kids would enjoy fishing. They're growing too damn fast, anyways, and we need to give them as many experiences as we can, while we can.

2 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Drinking,,Smokeing.For.the.most.part..

... breaking spacebars... :P

I love a good drink, myself... I'm a scotch and dark beer guy for the most part.

• Like 1

hiking, camping and I try to get out on the bike most days but I can be easily convinced that this may not be the best day for it. :D

Also having grand kids is a pretty cool hobby because it gives you the opportunity to over indulge them in a way that you couldn't with your own kids because you where hoping to raise them to be proper adults. 

• Like 1

Hobbies? I have more than I should have, most go by seasons, starting with spring I break out the gold pans, and start cat-fishing, and craft shows then bring in the garden as spring goes into summer mostly camping and fishing, lets not for get cutting the grass and tending the garden as fall creeps in add hunting in the mix,and back to craft shows too hot in the summer,and too cold in the winter, winter is slow spot for me mostly hunting and fishing, processing deer I harvest, all include a never ending quest to learn how to play a cigar box guitar, I can build them just can't play them,. as for smoking any good cigar and fine bourbon or scotch always is close at hand, just need the time to enjoy it

10350524_10201691019347800_3217564407106

• Like 1

My first hobby was fishing! Until I started leaning wood work all I did was work and fish. Now a days all I can think about is wood working it's the most addicting hobby I've ever came across if I'm not in the shop I'm reading or watching something to do with wood working! I love the feeling when you finish a piece and give it to someone or just put it in the house it's a high really. Keeps my mind busy and the design side of wood working is pretty fun I like to be creative and come up with cool and unique things!

• Like 1

Woodworking is my cheap hobby. I have more tied up in photography equipment then i care to share. I've only shared that number with my insurance agent ;). I also like hiking and camping. I tinker with cars and do a fair bit of gardening in the summer months.

• Like 1

I am in healthcare and my hobbies have little to do with my day job.  These days, like @Chestnut, woodworking is my not-so-expensive hobby, but quickly becoming my primary hobby.

One of my favorite pastimes is flying.  I am about to break the 1000 hour mark:rolleyes:.  I have spent a little less time flying over the past 6 months as my woodworking time has increased.  

I also dabble in photography (Nikon, baby!) and love me some golf.     

• Like 2

Hobbies... I read this as activities I enjoy doing when I have time.

I enjoy playing music (fretless bass), playing pool and I used to restore 65-66 Mustangs. No time for much lately.. I do get out one night a week to play music, but I would love to hit the road and make a run at being a pro musician. 

• Like 1

Yeah I don't know if I'd classify beer drinking as a hobby but it's definitely one of my favorite ways to pass the time when I have some to spare.  I've brewed a few batches with friends of mine, and one day I'd like to get more serious about brewing.  The great thing about brewing is that you drink beer while you make beer.  Win-win.

• Like 2

Woodworking is probably my most serious hobby, even though lately I have been spending more time in the garden.   Before woodworking I was really into cooking.   I was pretty serious about cooking but got turned off by the whole foodie culture.  Everyone thinks they are a critic because they watch Top Chef and most people think the stuff you see on Food TV or 5 minute Facebook videos is cooking.  

I think I moved toward woodworking because it a niche hobby and I am a pretty solitary person.   My day job requires a lot of client entertaining and my wife is super social.  So I end up dealing with people way more than I would like.  When most people learn woodworking is my hobby they just say "wow that is cool.  I could never do that" and the conversation pretty much ends, or I can end it on my terms.  Most folks don't want to hear about the differences between cherry and walnut or how to sharpen a hand plane.

Back when I was cooking all the time people would say "Have you seen the new Rachael Ray recipe?  I love her" or some stupid crap like that, and then I'd have to talk about Rachael Ray recipes for an hour.  Everyone was an expert even though 90% of the people did not put the effort into it that I did.  

Drinking is also a hobby of mine.  Mostly beer and bourbon.  Occasionally wine but not so much anymore.  

When we were looking for a retirement home I had 3 criteria;  shop, acreage, and water.  Didn't care if it was ocean, lake or river, a guy has to shoot and fish.  Ended up with a salmon river, built my shop, and back stop.  The shop is for wood (of course) with an area set a side for making hunting knives.  I just came in from 200 dry fires, and 100 rounds.  Practicing for bullseye pistol. 

As far drinking beer is concerned, it ain't no hobby, it is a way of life!,

• Like 2

Painting(water colors, oils, acrylics, printing, gouache, ink, mixed media, etc.
 Fishing.
Climbing. Canyoneering (climbing backwards). Backpacking. Peak Bagging. Canyons of the Southwest.

Mountainbiking/cycling.

Tele-skiing.

Photography.

Literature/books.

Brewing.

Wildflower, wildlife, mushroom, and plant Identification.

Shooting.

Boating the Colorado, Green, and Snake Rivers, plus anything else I can get.

I'm sure there's a few more.

Oh yeah, almost forgot! Woodworking too!

• Like 1

I have a regular 8-5 job, messing with chickens all day.  Started woodworking because of my wife's pintrest obsession, made a piece of crap but thought it was cool to be able to make stuff and it snow balled from there.  I like to fish, hunt, drink beer and occasionally good bourbon.  I like camping and playing golf and other sports but don't get to do any as much as I'd like to.  Another big hobby is yelling and cussing at bad drivers, pretty good at that.

• Like 1