Screw & small parts organization

JosephThomas

How do you guys like to organize screw/nails and other little items in your shop?  I don't have a lot of drawers right now, mostly just a messy stack of little boxes inside cabinets, and it's time to fix it... I am mostly talking about 15-20 different kinds of screws/nails/washers and other similar sized items that come in little cardboard or plastic boxes.

I like the idea of little 'drawers' like this kind of thing, because it allows you to organize and quickly get at things, but it takes up valuable counter space I don't have, and is the least mobile solution in the world.  I'm not a tradesman for a living, but I do bring tools over to friends/family's homes somewhat often to help with things, so ease of transport is on my mind...and these suck for that.

image_20078.jpg

On the flipside, I like that little boxes like this travel a little better...but they're super inefficient for someone like me that is mostly using them at home, my workflow with these things goes something like this --> Pull the box out, find a horizontal surface to set it on, fail to find one, try to remove 500 things from my horizontal space, give up, set box on the ground, open it up, retrieve screws, close box, leave it there, trip over it 5 minutes later, rinse and repeat.  Also, many of these type of boxes are cheaply made and just spill from one section into another whenever you stand the box up.

91DhM5zxSDL._SL1500_.jpg

I am sure right about now is the time when the green-kool-aid man will show up and start talking about sortainers, because yeah, they would sorta have the best of both worlds when looking at the 2 items above ...but let's be realistic, my shop is still in its growth phase, and it would just be complete overkill and a poor use of my limited budget.  I have also considered  the l-boxx from bosch, which seems nice, but isn't that much cheaper than festool...and I'm not even sure the price difference is worth it when you consider the quality difference.

What are all you guys doing? Pictures or links are particularly helpful if you guys have 'em. Thanks

I don't.  I just throw them away and buy the hardware I need for each build.  That stuff drives me bananas.  I keep a few boxes of drywall screws in various sizes for making jigs and a few boxes of brads and pin nails, but that is all I really keep in my shop.  

Yeah, you need a sortainer. They are so choice. :) 

Highland sells a systainer with spax screws in it, you basically get a bunch of free screws. It's a really good deal. Otherwise I keep screws in their box on a shelf.

I don't keep a bunch of miscellaneous junk laying around to warrant drawers full of stuff. I got away from hoarding long ago. Most of that stuff is so cheap you can really justify tossing it out every now and again. 

Home Depot sells a Dewalt version of the Stanley thing you posted... It's nice because you can tip it over and the contents don't shift. I keep dominoes in there. I have another one for t-track/incra jig stuff. 

• Like 1

Ive got a couple of these things that my dad's work was throwing out.  They aren't completely organized yet, but it is a start.  I live about 20 miles from town so having stuff like fasteners on hand is a must.  It really sucks when you don't have the right screw to finish a job and have to spend an hour driving to pick up $2 worth of screws. 

540x360.jpg

• Like 2

I recently bought some containers similar to that Stanley Sortmaster you posted there. Got one for bits, stops, and dowel centers and the rest are filled with screws of varying types. Tried to keep similar types together in a way that made sense. Some sticky labels added make it easy to visually see which box I need to grab off of the shelf. Very glad I did it because I kept misplacing the boxes of screws and bits all over the damn place.

I use these boxes from Harbor Freight.  I used to have a bunch of the Stanley boxes you linked to but not being able to remove the trays was a deal breaker for me.  The HF boxes don't take much abuse in my shop but I do carry them around and have never had an issue with parts shifting inside.  If you have several of these boxes you can mix and match the different size trays between boxes.  I have about 15 of them and have been very happy with them.

image_23120.jpg

• Like 1

Plano stopped making these after I had a few dozen.  The Harbor Freight versions are usable and if they ever do fail, they're cheap.

Plano Storage (1).jpg

The cubbies are made from some old t1-11 that I got from a neighbor when he demolished an old shed; reall high class stuff here.

Plano Storage (2).jpgPlano Storage (3).jpg

I hold everything up to about 3/8" bolts in these.  Larger than that and bulk for restocking are in other containers.

• Like 1

Don't waste too much time on storing a lot of hardware. A little here and a bit here and your wondering why my space is cluttered. Storage is the shop killer. As mentioned buy what you need, when you need it.

If you just gotta have it buy a dual sided husky box or similar and convert the smaller drawers with dividers for some hardware and use the larger drawers for useful items like hand tools...

Those staney,milwaukee and dewalt boxes look fine in the begining but they take space., I don't care how you stack em...

It would be extremely frustrating, time consuming, and expensive for me to run to a store all the time. I buy in bulk when I can. Having an extensive storage area is very important to me.

Here is what most of the cabinet shops use to carry cabinet installation fasteners. They build them heavy because they see some pretty hard use. You could probably build a lighter version If you wanted.

106.jpg

I used a little red plastic tool box when I had a cabinet shop,Held everything I needed and some for a cabinet hardware, Cabinet shops buy in bulk to increase profits. When your talking about a small hobby shop, generally your going  back and forth to work enough to hit a hardware store on the way home when something is needed, 

0200809.jpg

I cannot imagine hardware causing a storage concern, and I have way more than some. My framing, roofing, siding, and drywall bulk are in lidded square buckets that stack. A few of these discussed trays in cabinets or drawers are plenty out of the way. The question about lid interface is the key. You don't want to resort a tray Ever. 

5 minutes ago, freedhardwoods said:

It would be extremely frustrating, time consuming, and expensive for me to run to a store all the time. I buy in bulk when I can. Having an extensive storage area is very important to me.

Here is what most of the cabinet shops use to carry cabinet installation fasteners. They build them heavy because they see some pretty hard use. You could probably build a lighter version If you wanted.

It depends on what you build.   A cabinet shop obviously needs to inventory their mostly commonly used hardware.  

I build 3 or 4 pieces of furniture a year.  I keep some drywall screws in 1/2" to 3" lengths, figure 8 connectors, some brad nails, and some pin nails and that is it.   Everything else I order or buy on a per project basis. It all fits in one small drawer.  Most of my projects use almost no hardware (generally just a few screws for attaching tops).   Anything other than that I throw away after each project  

Yeah I build less than 4 furniture projects a year... But I do need a lot of stuff for diy... At my place, my parents, and my in laws house. A few framing nails, 4 or 5 sizes of cabinet screws, drywall screws, 5 or 6 kinds of wood screws for shop projects and cabinet hardware, etc.

I'm in a 1 car garage that is packed full, and I can't afford to make a trip for every little project because I don't operate that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk