Oh crapola on my roubo

earbogast

I'm with Barron. Assuming you left the front laminate long, cut the tails off and do a single dovetail. 

Edit:  now that I think about it, the end cap really isn't much work. Forget the single dovetail and redo the endcap. Should go faster the second time around. 

Edited by bgreenb

We saw the movie "Burnt" last night. One scene, Bradley Cooper, the chef, screws up and fires off the "F" bomb a thousand times and throws every pot and pan in the kitchen at least twice! I'm thinking something similiar happened in your shop when discovered your mistake?

I'd redo it, but if you do want to try a repair, you might try cutting the center pin deeper into the wood - say an inch or so, then cutting a floating pin that could be glued in place. That's assuming you have enough depth in the end. The face grain glue surface would be strong and I don't see that you'd be losing much, if any joint integrity. 

Edit - after looking at the photo more closely, that wouldn't be a good idea since the pin board grain orientation would mean you were still glueing to end grain. 

Do over!

Edited by micks

Looks like you are only a short way into the tail.  You could finish the tail properly,and then trim the half inch or so off the face of the pins, giving you a flush, yet recessed fit.  You could then cut a single piece to fit into the recess that is decorative.  You lose the decorative twin tail look, but strength and functionality should be retained.  

You could also just bring the pins flush using the same process above, and then cut a small insert to fill the shallow middle gap.  

I'd probably re-cut, but it is an option.

Edited by Chris H

• 2 weeks later...