Shop Overhaul Rev 8675309

Tom Cancelleri

The plaster continues! The soffit is sanded and ready to prime and paint. I am however covered in plaster dust (worst thing ever). I need to bust out the leaf blower and get a giant fan to blow out the shop. There will be 1 more round of plaster to be done on the wall where the sub panel is. 

On a good note, my plaster skills got a lot better on the soffit then on previous attempts on the walls. I struggle the most with corners where the ceiling meets walls, but everything else was smooth and required no sanding. 

Plaster?   There's no dust with plaster. 

When I do sheetrock, there is very little dust.  The only sanding I do is just a little bit after the final coat.  The trick is not to build the mud up so much to have to sand it down, and to prime after you're sure the first coat or two is not too high.  The primer keeps the final coat from making the first coats swell up.  First and second coats are feathered in with a damp sponge, then primer, then final skim.

• Like 1

You can't take a lot off with the sponge.  It has to be close to start with.  You want to only wipe it a time or two around the edges with the sponge.   For the first coat on taped edges, I use an 18" concrete finishing trowel, and usually only one pass for first and second coats.

For final coat, a clamp on light is clamped to the outer edge of the hawk, and placed right against the wall to shine across it while the final coat is applied, showing every imperfection.

For final sanding, I like the pad sold in Lowes with Velcro.  The only sanding pad I use is 150 grit.  Sanded slowly, the dust falls straight down to be caught with a Shop Vac with bag.  For sanding butt joints, I use a long sanding block designed for auto body work.  http://dura-block.com/sanding-blocks/

The primer is the real game changer.  I've been doing it like that for probably 35 years, but I still hate sheetrock, and will avoid it if possible.  The trick is to lock it in with the primer with nothing too high.  You don't want to have to sand through the primer.  Any water from any coat makes the coat below it swell if it touches it.  Any time a coat of mud swells, it will not go back to exactly where you left it when it was dry.

There are other details too, that I take care of before hand when framing.  Any end sheet butt joints meet on a specially prepared framing "stud" that is doubled so the fasteners aren't so close to the edge of the sheet.  That special double stud is run down 3/32" on the jointer before being put in it's place.  Otherwise, there is no way to do a perfect surface with butt joints without having a raised hump on the wall.

When handling the sheets, care has to be taken not to bruise an edge. No bruised edges or ends are used anywhere.  No butt joints beside door or window openings.  Haste in hanging makes extra work in finishing, and even makes it impossible to reach perfection. 

If you want to talk plaster, I have that down to a science too, but if you can't produce perfection easily, and quickly with sheetrock, you don't want to even think about doing plaster.  With plaster, you get one chance, and not much time for that chance on the final coat.

• Like 1

I have done a lot of drywall and rarely sand, even if I've screwed up and have a heavy mud coat.

I agree with the primer!  PVA primer is the best option as you can water and sponge thru it or apply more mud on top of it.  And, it's cheap to boot.

I never like the PVA because it does dissolve and I don't like the transition it leaves.  I use water based Zinser Bullseye.  I don't want to sand through it, and want it to completely seal the first coats.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-Bulls-Eye-1-2-3-1-gal-White-Water-Based-Interior-Exterior-Primer-and-Sealer-2001/100398391

Shine a light across it before coating with primer.  If doesn't matter if there are still low places, but you want to take any high spots off before coating with primer.  The low spots, which hopefully aren't very low, will be finished off with the final coat after the primer dries.

On flat walls I'm fine, I only get high spots and lines in corners that need sanding. I'm not going for perfect flat and smooth. I just want acceptable, it's the shop ceiling as long as it's painted and not full of horrible spots, in OK with that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I also bought glidden ceiling white with minor imperfection cover. They also make a paint that goes on pink and dries white.

22 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Looks like you will be all done before I drop by and visit you in a few weeks ! I will be in Maryland first week of August. Any work left to do I'd be glad to stop by and help you out !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Sweet! I should be done by then Gonna try to finish up the ceiling by the end of the week. Dedicate next week to finishing the electrical. You might be just in time to build a miter station with me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Looks like you will be all done before I drop by and visit you in a few weeks ! I will be in Maryland first week of August. Any work left to do I'd be glad to stop by and help you out !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Canadian Invasion is coming!  Lock up the women and children!

Tom, looking good!

• Like 1

Tom, having the cords hanging from the ceiling is great - I have a drop to the jointer/planer and table saw (right next to the duct work) in the middle of the shop - it's so nice to not be tripping over wires!

I was originally going to run a length of conduit to the floor and have a bank of outlets at the for with no cords in the way. However I think running the cords up to drops is better

• 2 weeks later...