... to quiet the critics ...

collinb

14 minutes ago, Acer Cletus said:

No twine?

I gave it consideration. I may use the twine to make a pulley solution, hang it from the ceiling, and drop it down only as needed. :-)

11 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I be liking it! Wait a minute Collin! What in the heck kind of saw is that in the middle with the 10' blade?

That's a big, old Craftsman miter saw. Might be a Disston, but not certain. It's a quality piece of metal. The wide angel of the phone camera sure makes it look long. It's about 26" as it is.

2 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Were the critics loud because you didn't have enough hand saws? 

Two years ago I got into "saving puppies" mode with hand planes.  Last year I did it, just a little, with hand saws.  Of the four Disston saws present , two will go. I'll be keeping two with differing tooth counts. The Sandvik will also go -- it's unsharpenable. That will leave 4 on a rack that holds 8.  Room for choosing patiently instead of hastily.

20 minutes ago, Llama said:

Which critics will be silenced with this?

The ones that said "build something."  So I did.

3 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

That's the one he reaches out to poke the critics with :-) Nice saw till Collin, thanks for sharing it.

Close enough.

It really isn't very "nice" but it is functional and solid enough that I won't have to rebuild it. Not, at least, until I get to the point of wanting the shop to look "pretty."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

What's the purpose of the sides?  It looks to only barely touch the top. 

Structural support. If it were to be set on a table they would not be needed, but hanging on a wall I wanted some angular support.

1.    Handle rest board is 17.25” long.  Top blade rest board is the same length.
2 inches from each end, each handle slot is 1” wide with ¾” between.
That’s 2 + 1 + 0.75 + 1 + 0.75 +1 + 0.75 +1 + 0.75 +1 + 0.75 +1 + 0.75 +1 + 0.75 +1 + 2
Mark the board accordingly, both on the side for cutting the slots and on the end for matching to the blade rest board.

2.    To calculate the center of each slot, place the edges of the two boards together.
Slide the blade rest board to the right ½”.  Then make a mark that is aligned with the right ide of the handle rest mark.   

3.    If you’re resting a back saw’s spline in a particular position, cut the blade rest wider.

4.    I cut out the handle slots on the table saw with just multiple passes over the blade.  A dado blade would make make cutting faster.

5.    The blade rest slots can be cut on a table saw, a miter saw, or by hand.  The table saw will give a more predictable depth but the miter saw might be faster.  Doing them by hand can also be quick, especially if getting out the power equipment is troublesome for a relatively small quantity of cuts.

6.    The back can be cut to the height you choose.  I simply attached a piece of leftover material of the right width.  A taller piece can keep the blades from impacting the wall behind it.

7.    For a long miter saw blade where weight & length might be an issue, I made an extra notch inside the handle rest to accommodate the tip of the handle.  This keeps the saw from rocking out of the stand.

8.    Side supports were added for structural support.  If it is free standing you may use a heavier back piece and allow it to be movable. This would eliminate the need for side supports.  I chose to make this for wall mounting and wished to avoid flexing under the weight of the saws.  

9.    Assembly was done with 1 ¼” general purpose screws.

sawStandCuts.jpg

Someone said that this device is called a "till."  I think I will name it "Van."  (You have to have a rich theological background to understand that one.)

• Like 1

"Moses supposes his posies are roses..." Colin, I have no problem with the till as an exploration into making, but... does it really need airflow through or were your scraps too small? I guess if the corners don't meet then no one can call the joint bad??

Yes, it does. The airflow allows the blades to cool evenly, after a hard day's work, in a distributed structure.

And if/when I drop a mail or screw or something inside then I can reach from the side instead of pulling the saws out.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Yes, it does. The airflow allows the blades to cool evenly, after a hard day's work, in a distributed structure

Did I missed the sarcasm emoji or was that serious? 

I didn't think it needed one.

• Like 1

I didn't think it needed one.

Normally,  it wouldn't but I can't read you at all.  You're like the cute girl in a Thai bar.. you very well may be a guy. 

There's .o accounting for taste.