NOT-Roubo Workbench: Just to be Differnt

wnaziri

I like the blue paint i was iffy on it at first but after i read your intentions i can see where your going with this and i like it. I'm excited to see a journal with some of this big iron working. I hope that you include some bits about hwo your liking your space and tools.

DO you ever stand in your shop and wonder what to do with all the space? I'd set aside a corner that was just open if i were you just to be That Guy.

• Like 1

You will enjoy having lots of drawers to keep tools organized and close at hand. I did it the easy way, scrounged 2 of those flat file drawers for architects drawings.

Its always refreshing to see a different approach to a project. I like the blue,it really stands out.

5 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Great googley moogley, is that a northfield no4 in the background? It needs a lid though!

@Great googley moogley: Indeed, IT is a Northfield No. 4.

The lid is in the machine shop getting spiffed up with a flatter top and edges.  I have elected to add the Very Super Cool Tools Biesemeyer fence.  It will be my main working saw.  It is heck of a lot of fun to use.  

Fun Picture - here is the blade the will go on the saw:

IMG_3216.jpg

I had no idea that the blade would be that big.  IT IS YUUUUUGE.

Made a little more progress.

I did pre-finish all the components with 2 coats of Danish oil.  The Federal blue panels also got two coats of the Danish oil.

Assemble went well except the last panel.  

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

But, thank god for some hand tools.  I must note that draw bore technique is quite effective.  

IMG_3291.jpg

The base turned out nice and square.  The top pieces are ready to be planed to thickness and assembled.  I am debating whether I should put some Dominos in these maple top pieces to ensure they remain aligned.  At this stage, the top is composed of 5 pieces, each comprised of three pieces of maple.

Question for all you Ruobo builders: How did you establish straight edges for the top?  My table saw can crosscut 4.5" but I am not sure it would be safe to do so.  I am considering cutting the ends of the table top the old fashion way, with a hand saw.  It could be a great excuse to buy a high end saw (Bad Axe perhaps ?).  

IMG_3293.jpg

I have placed the bench in its final position.  God knows that I will not be able to move it easily after the top is secured to the base.  

Next: the twin screw vise.

I would use the dominos for alignment if you have that available.  Will cut down on your work later!

As for trimming the ends, I have a track saw that did the trick but, I wouldn't hesitate to make the primary cut with a circ saw and finish with a hand saw.

Great progress!

10 hours ago, TIODS said:

I would use the dominos for alignment if you have that available.  Will cut down on your work later!

As for trimming the ends, I have a track saw that did the trick but, I wouldn't hesitate to make the primary cut with a circ saw and finish with a hand saw.

Great progress!

I used this process as well. Domino's for alignment and track saw for ends. A little hand plane work on the ends to remove the line where the two cuts met worked well.

11 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I dig the blue!

Side note:  Dear God, how big is that jointer? 

The more I see of this guy's shop, the more I am almost certain that he walked into an auction and bought $40,000 of equipment for $800. looks like a northfield ts, shaper, big boy delta planer, the 12-16" jointer, and lord only knows what else he is hiding. I guarantee theres a massive 36" bandsaw somewhere in there. If you have the space and 3 phase, a bit of luck and patience produce huge machines for pennies.