NOT-Roubo Workbench: Just to be Differnt

wnaziri

Bench looks great. But for extensive hand-tool work there don't appear to be many work-holding options. I couldn't work without my tail-vice bench-dogs and holdfasts. But I agree with Chet ... try building something and see if you feel limited by your work-holding or not.

16 hours ago, Chet K. said:

The bench looks great.  Looks like you still have the drawers to go.  I think if it were me, I would work with the bench the way it is, see how often you wish you had the tail vice and let that help you decide if you need to add it.  Kind of like don't buy a tool until you need it.

Yes, I do have the drawers to do next but at least the bench is now functional and useful.  I have actually milled the lumber for the drawers and will be tackling that next.  I really like your suggestion about using the bench and seeing how much I need a tail vise.

16 hours ago, h3nry said:

Bench looks great. But for extensive hand-tool work there don't appear to be many work-holding options. I couldn't work without my tail-vice bench-dogs and holdfasts. But I agree with Chet ... try building something and see if you feel limited by your work-holding or not.

H3nry, you are correct that I do not have lots of work holding options, at this stage.  However, there is a method to my madness.  I plan to have round dog holes in my bench.  My plan is to drill the holes as I go along and figure out where the holes will make sense.  Since I have never owned a proper workbench before (I have used a picnic table or a piece of plywood in the past), I really had no way of knowing where I would place the holes.  Plus, after having seen lots of pics of workbench builds, I have developed a bit of a dislike for the swiss cheese effect.  I have my drill with 3/4" Lee Valley bit at the ready as soon I determine where dog holes will be most useful.

I should also mention that my bench WILL have a board jack in the front.  I can't install it until I have completed the frame for 10 drawers. 

9 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

Yes, I do have the drawers to do next but at least the bench is now functional and useful.  I have actually milled the lumber for the drawers and will be tackling that next.  I really like your suggestion about using the bench and seeing how much I need a tail vise.

Maybe this is a product of not having it but I haven't had any use for the bc tail vise I paid for and haven't installed yet. 

The board and baton and hold fasts are awesome though

That's a very nice workbench. Well done!

About the tale vise, I find it very useful for face planing. Of course, one can also plane against a dog or a plane stop, or even clamp a parallel clamp in your existing vise (a la Paul Sellers) to support the material.

I didn't think about the details, but a detachable tale vise sounds like something I will have in the future. It will be a twin screw vise, just like the LN dovetail vise, with dog holes on top. I will be able to attach it to the tale or clamp it to the top of my workbench so it becomes like a Moxon vise, for cutting joinery. Just an idea.

Thanks for putting this in a journal, after I finish up my current project I was considering making the FWW bench as next on the list. I'll be interested to see what you decide on the tail vice, I was thinking of making that mod as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, micks said:

Beautiful job! It looks like you opted for a LN twin screw for the front vise. If it is, I'm curious why you're choosing a Veritas for the tail.

Micks, very observant of you.  

For the longest time, I could not decide which end vise to install.  I did look at the LN vise but, but.... that vise requires the chain to be placed INSIDE the jaw.  So, the jaw is essentially hollow.  

Well, as an end vise, I wanted to put dog holes in the jaw.  The Veritas vise construction uses a solid block of wood as the jaw since the hardware is placed outside the jaw.  This will allow me to drill lots of dog holes in the jaw.

• Like 1