Hijack!

Llama

Not as far as I’m concerned, unless he has some sort of patent on it. Before I get too excited and spill the beans, I will try it tomorrow night and let the cat out of the bag. This will give Kev plenty of time to contact his attorneys to file a cease and desist :D

• Like 2

lol..  It's really not a great secret, I've shown it in video..

Make your boards a little longer than needed.  Draw your curve on the board.  Cut at the band saw.  The trick is to cut consistently and smooth.  Failure to get a clean cut and it won't work.

Glue up with your strip in the curve and use a side clamp to pull all your lines back in line.  Then, just trim the ends square and be done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Draw your curve on the board.  Cut at the band saw.  The trick is to cut consistently and smooth.

I've seen this done on a show called Handmade America, Kev, can you put multiple strips in and can they be different widths and still come out lining up correctly?

15 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I've seen this done on a show called Handmade America, Kev, can you put multiple strips in and can they be different widths and still come out lining up correctly?

Yea..  It's all in that side clamp and getting things lined up correctly.

I've posted a few boards here (check the archives) where I've done multiple stripes and they all came out fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ..Kev said:

Not at all..  Nothing wrong with your method.

I shouldn't claim the method, i just know maths and geometry well.

I am going to try your's next. The one thing that i will do an specific experiment is to see if there is a thickness limit where after say 3/8" or something things start to look gappy. I just used 3/8" as an example it's goign to depends on the tightness of the curve and other stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Coop I think, I will try this on one of my cutting boards. If I have any questions can I call you? :)

I don't think you'd like my hours right now..  I'm working nights on the road.

You can drop me a note here tho.  Or, @K Cooper should be a pro by then ;)

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

I was thinking Coop was a pro by now! They always said, if you wanted a good drink of water go to the head of the stream. :)

If you want a very eloquent,  6" wide by 14" long x 3/4" thick cutting board, made from the same board/species, and you need help with it, by all means, give me a call 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Anyone heard from Eric? I half ass liked that guy. Or is this my demise from here for asking? 

I tried to contact him recently, as I was making a trip to his neighborhood, and thought I'd drop by and say hello. Apparently he is on somewhat of a hiatus from the internet.

@moderators I thought the video section was for video stuff and any project showcases were supposed to be under project journals?

I hesitate to ask in support because i don't want to be a bother and make work for someone. I also noticed the description text under some categories doesn't match the category.

I don't even know if this is a moderator thing.....

• 2 weeks later...