Hijack!

Llama

On 11/19/2018 at 8:22 PM, Tom King said:

All my Physicist friends are also Mathematicians, and one does not take precedence over the other.   To be a Mathematician is sort of a prerequisite in order to be a Physicist.  I don't think there are two separate categories, but the rest of the cartoon is absolutely correct.  My best friend is one of the World's top Physicists, and if he wasn't also one of the World's top Mathematicians, he wouldn't be.

I'm a mathematician (statistician, more precisely) and I think you nailed it.  Often the top student in my math classes was a physics major.

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd say that teenage males are worse than animals. Chasing girls, marking their territory but intelligent enough to know how to do the most destruction with the least amount of effort and not aware of how much damage they can cause.

I'm just thankful that they don't have antlers.

I’ve got a drawer with new full extension metal slides. For the very last quarter inch or so of movement, as the drawer closes, the sliding action becomes firm. Similarly,   As you open the drawer, it is firm for that first bit, a little hump you have to get over. I think it may be an intentional feature to keep the drawer from accidentally opening, and I’ve felt this with other instances of the same slides, but wondering if there is a way to get rid of it. 

Not that I know of. I think that’s the nature of the beast. And I agree, as I just built a table with the same. Mine is on my wife’s side of the bed so I don’t have to contend with it, only her moaning. There are on mine, two white clip looking things on the cabinet side of the glide, that fit over the the black piece on the drawer portion that look like they can be clipped or sawn off to relieve this problem. 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Not that I know of. I think that’s the nature of the beast. And I agree, as I just built a table with the same. Mine is on my wife’s side of the bed so I don’t have to contend with it, only her moaning. There are on mine, two white clip looking things on the cabinet side of the glide, that fit over the the black piece on the drawer portion that look like they can be clipped or sawn off to relieve this problem. 

Yeah, I think it’s an intentional feature, just need to figure how to disable it. Will report back. 

I don't know what brand you have but i just bought some for use on my Dining Table build. They operate the same way. I think it's just a quirk in the design. Not all slides are this way. I have some Hickory Hardware ones from Menards that are smooth the whole way  for both heir soft close and regular BB slides. Despite being from Menards i like the quality of the slides and they offer some savings over the other popular expensive brands and are good enough for my unrefined tastes.

@Chestnut / @K Cooper

I solved this problem on my slides. At the very back, on the cabinet side of the slide, there is a black piece of rubber. For me, this was easily removed using a flat screw driver, or anything pokey. Once this is removed, the resistance is completely gone. In my case, that was enough. However, if I desired so, I think I could probably modify the piece of rubber and reinstall it to get a reduced amount of resistance. Certainly I can see the benefit, if the cabinet is installed on a slightly sloping floor and you don't want the drawer randomly creeping open. 

Anyhow, give it a look and see if works in your case, or else, file it away for future reference. 

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I think that is the retention feature that stops the drawer fro rolling open on it's own accord if mounted less than level.

Yeah I guess that is right, though I didn't know specifically what it was called, good to know it can be removed or modified, if so desired. 

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best way to cut a 1/4” groove in the center  edge of a 3/4” board , 78” long? Using a hand held router with a saddle type jig or on the ts with a high fence and feather board? These will be to accommodate panels inside a frame, ie. door style build.