Hijack!

Llama

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'm not looking forward to the next 2 days. This isn't even bad compared to some places.

download_20190128_202649.thumb.jpg.ba2acbc30e6bcac60c825d4cd46374cc.jpg

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Yeah Drew this is going to be something, exposed skin will freeze in 5 minutes or less, the tires on my truck will freeze with a flat spot on the bottom, where I used to work we would leave the patrol vehicles run 24-7, Thursday the HIGH temp is supposed to be minus 17, stay warm and be careful 

:angry::(:angry::(:angry:

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'm not looking forward to the next 2 days. This isn't even bad compared to some places.

download_20190128_202649.thumb.jpg.ba2acbc30e6bcac60c825d4cd46374cc.jpg

That’s insane! 

I have been complaining about our air temp/windchill but this is next level! 

We will only get down to about -15 air temp but supposed to be 20-30mph winds. Puts wind chill around -45. This is at night.....not 4pm in the afternoon!

I'd like to say that this is the coldest I've ever had to experience but that wouldn't be true. My main concern is the furnace in my house keeping up. That and i found a nail in my tire a couple days ago that cant be fixed and they  don't stock the tire i need. Why would they ever keep something in stock that's useful.

21 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'd like to say that this is the coldest I've ever had to experience but that wouldn't be true. My main concern is the furnace in my house keeping up. That and i found a nail in my tire a couple days ago that cant be fixed and they  don't stock the tire i need. Why would they ever keep something in stock that's useful.

I am just sitting in the kitchen with a cup of coffee listening to the furnace run and hoping it doesn't stop.  At this point we have another three days of this to get through and tomorrow will be substantially worse. 

I guess this must be something like what a ship's captain might feel when forced to sail through a hurricane.  You do everything you can to prepare, which is not actually that much, then you wait to see how the story ends.  

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

I am just sitting in the kitchen with a cup of coffee listening to the furnace run and hoping it doesn't stop.  At this point we have another three days of this to get through and tomorrow will be substantially worse. 

I guess this must be something like what a ship's captain might feel when forced to sail through a hurricane.  You do everything you can to prepare, which is not actually that much, then you wait to see how the story ends.  

Man it's warm there in Chicago. International Falls, MN is the coldest location i know if in the continental US. They make Canada jealous. There is something special about -40.....

Untitled.thumb.jpg.40e470c27da65d5fbf59c5b7a33bcc45.jpg@Spanky@K Cooper But you'll never get to experience peeing out of doors and having it freeze before it hits the ground. If i remember tomorrow I'll take a video of throwing a cup of water and having it freeze before it hits the ground. It's a cool sight to see.

11 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yes I'll post a video tomorrow. I was also just informed that the power went out in our neighborhood. 2.5 hours with out heat is worrying.

Yeah that’s the big thing is having power, we have a gas fireplace to keep enough heat in the house in case we lose power, of course no fan but enough to keep the pipes from freezing. Strange things happen at minus 30, water to snow is a good trick, everyone is canceling everything around here till this is over, no school, garbage pick up and on and on 

I used to like winter mountaineering.  One of my favorite pictures was of my buddy (and my) face on the mt Washington auto road - wind chill was -70.  You can see frost on the cheek hairs of the faces.  (We turned back.)

Back in the 70's, before the "polar vortex" was a thing, as far as I know, wind chills in the Midwest one winter got down to -70 (following a snow, similar to what's going on now.).  I'm guessing that was the polar vortex that hadn't yet been identified.

I'm just glad it missed the West.  Stay warm.

3 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I used to like winter mountaineering.  One of my favorite pictures was of my buddy (and my) face on the mt Washington auto road - wind chill was -70.  You can see frost on the cheek hairs of the faces.  (We turned back.)

Back in the 70's, before the "polar vortex" was a thing, as far as I know, wind chills in the Midwest one winter got down to -70 (following a snow, similar to what's going on now.).  I'm guessing that was the polar vortex that hadn't yet been identified.

I'm just glad it missed the West.  Stay warm.

Never really liked the whole windchill thing always seemed awfully misleading. I'll take 0 and a windchill of -30 than strait -30 air temp any day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Do you keep a plug kit in your toolbox for nailholes? Not good for sidewalls but really handy for tread holes when you need to get back on the road quick. I learned a good trick putting them in (the asphalt coated string type), a quick spray of WD40 will make it slick and easy to push in with the awl then it sets up tight with a twist or two.

When you said it cant be fixed Im assuming the nail ripped the tire a good one and a patch is just useless, eh? Hoping you can get it all good and the snowman dont bite.

8 hours ago, Spanky said:

Coop we need to go to MN and check that temperature out one time. I have never seen it that cold before. We just need to make sure we have the  back door shut up on our long john’s. :lol:

C'mon up ol boy.  Nut and I will make sure you get the full experience.  Snow angels and all.  That is you boys can make em and we'll just watch.

• Like 1

All I know is, I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer at my house and the outdoor part said -22f even though the airport in town was reporting -11f.  It ain't just cold, it's eff'n cold.  Tomorrow is supposed to be colder.  I might just feel something coming on.

2 hours ago, Byrdie said:

All I know is, I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer at my house and the outdoor part said -22f even though the airport in town was reporting -11f.  It ain't just cold, it's eff'n cold.  Tomorrow is supposed to be colder.  I might just feel something coming on.

A trip South maybe?  Tennessee is South. we're only supposed to get down to 10* this week.

• Like 1