Hijack!

Llama

I know there are some linux tinkeres and heavy users here so i thought i'd share this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/01/30/the-new-pinebook-pro-will-challenge-google-chromebooks-for-199/#3b1bd47349eb

Looks like it could be a pretty awesome laptop for web browsing and light use. The price is awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I B said:

That's going to be awesome! More psyched for a Linux tablet though.

I guess i was looking at it to buy in install ubuntu Mate on and use it as a regular computer. For what i do it's fast enough to browse wood talk watch youtube and watch videos files on my network.

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I guess i was looking at it to buy in install ubuntu Mate on and use it as a regular computer. For what i do it's fast enough to browse wood talk watch youtube and watch videos files on my network.

Nut, I have installed Linux (and Windows 10, for that matter) successfully on several Chrime boxes. I know it works on the Chromebooks, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nut, I have installed Linux (and Windows 10, for that matter) successfully on several Chrime boxes. I know it works on the Chromebooks, too.

The friend that sent me the link to that article does software development and video editing on a chromebook.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those with experience with clear bag on bottom, fabric filter bag on top type dust collectors, how do you change the bag without making a mess/sending the collected dust into the air? I’ve never seen one of these set up in person. In my imagination, I’d pull the partially filled bag ends together to close it off and a cloud of dust would come poofing out. 

I have that style, and while I’ve only emptied mine a few times, it really hasn’t made a mess. Maybe I’ve been lucky or my last operation before emptying has been on the planer, but I haven’t had any dust noticeably poof out. It seems to settle in nicely. I don’t even recall much of a cloud of dust when dumping it in the woods. 

• Like 1

That was the problem with the cloth bag for me. With the Wynn, I go around it, tapping from top to bottom to dislodge what dust I can, to settle into the clear plastic bag. Occasionally, when I see pressure build up in the plastic bag, I remove the Wynn, place it in a large garbage bag, and git after it. I was really disappointed in the fabric bag as every time I turned it on, it reminded me of Linus in the Peanuts cartoon. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

For those with experience with clear bag on bottom, fabric filter bag on top type dust collectors, how do you change the bag without making a mess/sending the collected dust into the air? I’ve never seen one of these set up in person. In my imagination, I’d pull the partially filled bag ends together to close it off and a cloud of dust would come poofing out. 

I haven't had problems with mine.  Generally the particles in the bag are heavy enough that they trap the fines in with them.

• Like 1

I always tried to reuse them so i would empty at half full and dump in a trash can outside. Id routinely whack the cloth filter sack and shake the unit to get the fines to fall down. I usually waited a bit too empty after use to allow things to settle.

A lot of my dust collector strategy is early and often.

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm expecting to relocate to a new shop space over the summer. It will be another basement shop. I'm hoping to get a dedicated 220 power outlet for at least my dust collection, so I'm looking at these options from grizzly:

2Hp canister filer

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-2HP-Canister-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G0548ZP

3Hp double canister filter

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-3HP-Double-Canister-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G0562ZP

I'm a solo operator, so only one tool running at a time, but it will be in my basement, so I really want to capture as much dust as possible right away, do you think it is worth going for the 3HP option, or would that just be overkill? The price difference isn't too bad.

Would love to add a cyclone eventually, though ceiling heights will make that a bit of a challenge, might be stuck with a make shift barrel option like I have now. 

• Like 1

No i think 3hp is not over kill. If you duct the extra power will allow you to leave 2 blast gates open and hop between 2 tools. I could also argue that you will have slightly better collection.

Those 2 bag units are just double the headache and double the mess...

Like i said in another thread though i think cyclones are worth it. Id save for one of those instead. If i had known this before i drove down here I'd have given you my old HF DC.

29 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

No i think 3hp is not over kill. If you duct the extra power will allow you to leave 2 blast gates open and hop between 2 tools. I could also argue that you will have slightly better collection.

Those 2 bag units are just double the headache and double the mess...

Like i said in another thread though i think cyclones are worth it. Id save for one of those instead. If i had known this before i drove down here I'd have given you my old HF DC.

LOL, I can always rely on you to push for the even more expensive option! ;)

I'm not specifically seeking out a 2 bag unit, it is just that they don't sell a single bag/filter one with a 3HP motor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm expecting to relocate to a new shop space over the summer. It will be another basement shop. I'm hoping to get a dedicated 220 power outlet for at least my dust collection, so I'm looking at these options from grizzly:

2Hp canister filer

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-2HP-Canister-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G0548ZP

3Hp double canister filter

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-3HP-Double-Canister-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G0562ZP

I'm a solo operator, so only one tool running at a time, but it will be in my basement, so I really want to capture as much dust as possible right away, do you think it is worth going for the 3HP option, or would that just be overkill? The price difference isn't too bad.

Would love to add a cyclone eventually, though ceiling heights will make that a bit of a challenge, might be stuck with a make shift barrel option like I have now. 

I have always said, after owning smaller ones, that anything less than 3hp is wishful thinking.   I still own one 2hp that's dedicated to the 24" bandsaw, and if we blow everything outside, skipping the bags, it's almost enough for that one machine.

@Isaac based on many comments over the years on this forum I went with 3 HP and a cyclone.  I am in the basement, so vertically challenged which limited the choices on cyclones. The issue with cyclones (according to the internet) is that an efficient cone needs to be an 11 degree angle and hence the typical cyclones (Oneida, ClearVue) are very tall.  The shorter units like Laguna and Jet have shorter cyclones which are less efficient at separating.  I went with the Laguna because after my extremely scientific evaluation (I looked at pictures of DC units on the internet) I determined that the Laguna cone was the tallest and most efficient.  The Laguna was the tallest cone that would fit under the I-beam in my basement.  

DC is loud and 3 HP DC is like standing next to a jet engine.  I went with the P-flux rather than the C-flux because of the noise reduction design, but I don't think this really made any difference.  If you are moving to a new shop you'll want to give some thought to noise mitigation in the house, no matter what system you choose.    

If you are nearby your welcome to drop by to see and hear it.  

@Immortan D if you're willing to part with the capital Festool came up with a separator attachment for their "vacs" and I think Oneida also has an add on accessory for the Festool.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark J said:

@Isaac based on many comments over the years on this forum I went with 3 HP and a cyclone.  I am in the basement, so vertically challenged which limited the choices on cyclones. The issue with cyclones (according to the internet) is that an efficient cone needs to be an 11 degree angle and hence the typical cyclones (Oneida, ClearVue) are very tall.  The shorter units like Laguna and Jet have shorter cyclones which are less efficient at separating.  I went with the Laguna because after my extremely scientific evaluation (I looked at pictures of DC units on the internet) I determined that the Laguna cone was the tallest and most efficient.  The Laguna was the tallest cone that would fit under the I-beam in my basement.  

DC is loud and 3 HP DC is like standing next to a jet engine.  I went with the P-flux rather than the C-flux because of the noise reduction design, but I don't think this really made any difference.  If you are moving to a new shop you'll want to give some thought to noise mitigation in the house, no matter what system you choose.    

If you are nearby your welcome to drop by to see and hear it.  

@Immortan D if you're willing to part with the capital Festool came up with a separator attachment for their "vacs" and I think Oneida also has an add on accessory for the Festool.  

I appreciate the offer. I'm north of the city, might take you up on it sometime.

I'm hoping to isolate my DC behind insulated doors in a separate closet to reduce the noise substantially, but I won't be able to figure that all out until after I get possession of the home. 

38 minutes ago, drzaius said:

The Oneida V series are pretty quiet.

They look really nice. I’m just curious about the performance of a $1350 1.5hp Oneida cyclone system vs a $795 3hp, double canister model from grizzly. It is a big cost premium for a weaker motor system.

The advantages of a Cyclone are ease of emptying, and longer between filter cleaning.  They do have more of a loss of air movement over a bagger though.  The 3hp canister model will move many times more cubes of air than any horse and a half cyclone.  I can't think of any use I've have for a 1.5 hp of any kind, except maybe to be dedicated to a jointer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom King said:

The advantages of a Cyclone are ease of emptying, and longer between filter cleaning.  They do have more of a loss of air movement over a bagger though.  The 3hp canister model will move many times more cubes of air than any horse and a half cyclone.  I can't think of any use I've have for a 1.5 hp of any kind, except maybe to be dedicated to a jointer.

Thanks Tom. I'm thinking I'd like to start with the bigger motor and add the cyclone later, if desired. I'm not a production shop, so more frequent filter cleaning/changing doesn't really worry me. That is easier for me to deal with than a system that simply isn't capturing the dust to begin with. 

I have  a 3HP Oneida Dust gorilla and while it works amazingly, never had an issue, if I had to do it over again I would have made an enclosure outside the shop becuase it is very loud. Mine is in a closet inside the shop becuase at the time I was concerned about heat and air conditioning concerns but honestly I think I way overthought that. I wear hearing protection and since I don't plan on moving its not going to change at this point but if I were starting from scratch I think I would check out shops that had an alternate location just to see if it was worth having it outside the shop.

55 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Are cyclones by nature much louder than the bag collectors? Many people mention that their DC is super loud, but I was quite surprised how quiet the “2hp” HF collector is. 

I don't know.  I would think any 3 hp motor spinning an impeller would be loud, but maybe the cyclonic motion of the air adds more noise.