Hijack!

Llama

I stopped by Forest Products today on my lunch hour.  Can't get my phone to sync with my work computer so I'll upload snaps when I get home.  Didn't take too close a look at pricing yet.  They are primarily a cabinet shop that has a lumber room on the side.  They have a pretty good selection on their floor but it's amazing how small a space it's limited to when you compare it to Youngblood.  They do have a nice selection of slabs and the young man I talked to said that anything can be ordered.  I also asked him about deliveries and he said they often ship with Priority (courier) but that if it was close his boss has been known to lend the company van as long as you topped the gas off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I priced out cherry at Forest products and almost did a spit take. 5/4 S&B is 9.85 / BF and 8/4 is 10 something..... :blink:

I might start a business and maintain a tax ID just to buy lumber form Metro. Anyone want to split an order with me? I can't afford those prices. 

Yikes! What does 5/4 cherry normally run in your area?

Can you just tell them you're a sole proprietor and use your SSN and give a made up DBA name?

16 hours ago, JohnG said:

Yikes! What does 5/4 cherry normally run in your area?

Can you just tell them you're a sole proprietor and use your SSN and give a made up DBA name?

The place that closed i'd pay $3.99 and $4.51 for 8/4 Select & betet

I think it's because they don't charge sales tax. I don't know how all the business stuff works but i assume i'd have to have a way to file the sales tax with the state.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:59 PM, Chestnut said:

Take a picture of their price list!

Crappy cell phone so I apologize for any poor quality.  Here's what I saw at Forest Products and snaps of their price lists.  I think one of them didn't turn out so great ...  

20190425_123824.jpg

20190425_124323.jpg

20190425_124336.jpg

20190425_124344.jpg

20190425_124410.jpg

20190425_124420.jpg

20190425_124425.jpg

20190425_124437.jpg

20190425_124445.jpg

20190425_124500.jpg

20190425_124526.jpg

20190425_124531.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Byrdie said:

Crappy cell phone so I apologize for any poor quality.  Here's what I saw at Forest Products and snaps of their price lists.  I think one of them didn't turn out so great ...  

Thanks for heading over and taking the time to post!! I'm with Nut I think there pricing is on the high side even with the guild 10% discount...$150 for a cookie really? More power to them if they really get that, I apparently am missing something lol. I'll report back on what I find at Buffalo Veneer and Plywood when I head over there in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Byrdie said:

Take a look at this place in St Cloud.  Don't know about their prices but the offerings look pretty good:

https://www.renneberghardwoods.com/

I should call them  I've been meaning to also call Siwek in Jordan to see what their pricing is. The big hurdle is finding rough stock. Seems like these wimpy millennials  all want surfaced lumber that you can't do a danged thing with and you pay through the noose to have someone else surface it.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:55 PM, Byrdie said:

Take a look at this place in St Cloud.  Don't know about their prices but the offerings look pretty good:

https://www.renneberghardwoods.com/

So i did their online form and got connected with Carrie that covers inside sales. Cherry is ~$4 BF for 4/4 ~$5 for 5/4 ~$6 for 8/4. This is more than Youngblood but still reasonable. To kick it off she said they deliver for $50 if the order is $400-$800 and if your order is over $800 delivery is $20. I can't drive to st cloud and back for $50 so I'll take my chances not being able to pick the lumber my self.

I tried calling Siwek's Jordan location to get prices for them and to question them. The guy tried telling me that cherry was only sold in 2by sizes so 2x4 2x6 2x8 .... I asked probably 3 times if he was mistaken. In the end i ended the call telling him that they didn't have what i was looking for and i should just go elsewhere. I could have sworn Ronn bought all his lumber from Siwek and had great experiences with them, i must have gotten the wrong person on the phone.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chestnut said:

So i did their online form and got connected with Carrie that covers inside sales. Cherry is ~$4 BF for 4/4 ~$5 for 5/4 ~$6 for 8/4. This is more than Youngblood but still reasonable. To kick it off she said they deliver for $50 if the order is $400-$800 and if your order is over $800 delivery is $20. I can't drive to st cloud and back for $50 so I'll take my chances not being able to pick the lumber my self.

I tried calling Siwek's Jordan location to get prices for them and to question them. The guy tried telling me that cherry was only sold in 2by sizes so 2x4 2x6 2x8 .... I asked probably 3 times if he was mistaken. In the end i ended the call telling him that they didn't have what i was looking for and i should just go elsewhere. I could have sworn Ronn bought all his lumber from Siwek and had great experiences with them, i must have gotten the wrong person on the phone.

Their website has a "special" which reveals some pricing...   But that's at the NE Mpls location... not sure if it applies to jordan.

http://siweklumber.com/category/lumber/

This is about what I remember for cherry... $6 for 4/4, $9 for 8/4... their sale gives about 10% off.   So $5.4 for the 4/4 and $8 for 8/4.  They do have some #2 cherry for $3.20 a bdft... 

I think the Siwek's stuff is surfaced...  That seems to be the trend these days.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 10:30 AM, Chestnut said:

@pkinneb @Minnesota Steve @Byrdie

http://www.startribune.com/youngblood-lumber-winds-down-in-northeast-minneapolis/509141712/

Sewik fired some shots at the end of the article "They only needed 1/4 of the lot size they had....."

Would've liked to read this article but the Strib is just too adamant that I subscribe and I just don't want to.  Youngblood does have a nice note on their website.  Basically says they'll be open day to day until inventory is gone.

1 minute ago, Byrdie said:

Would've liked to read this article but the Strib is just too adamant that I subscribe and I just don't want to.  Youngblood does have a nice note on their website.  Basically says they'll be open day to day until inventory is gone.

Open in private window through your web browers. It blocks the cookies that they use to track that stuff. I right click on the link and it's in the menu somewhere. I'm pretty sure all browers have this. It works for all news sites that i've ran accross so far.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Open in private window through your web browers. It blocks the cookies that they use to track that stuff. I right click on the link and it's in the menu somewhere. I'm pretty sure all browers have this. It works for all news sites that i've ran accross so far.

That worked.  Chrome calls it an "incognito" window.  Thanks!

• Like 1

That's a nice score. Lumber rack looks really nice too.

Anyone have the Grizzly lumber rack? It looks the same as the Portamate one but about 50% of the cost. I'm debating on loading up on wood for the next few projects so I don't have to waste so much time running back and forth to the lumber store. Problem is I need to figure out what the next few projects will be.

Thanks for all the entertainment on this site. Gave me something to do while I waited for my tire to be plugged this morning.

My issue with the Portamate and griz racks is that they can only hold 100lbs per shelf which for oak/cherry density hardwood that's only 25 BF per shelf and 150 for the whole unit.

I've been using units like this.

gray-epoxy-coated-steel-storability-gara

the 14" brackets hold 150 each and with 4 vertical strap things i can fit 150 BF per level. The unit overall is a bit more expensive but the amount of storage and weight capacity is a lot higher.I'm right around the same $50 per 150 BF of storage but i can have more storage in a smaller space. I'll post some details in either my shop thread or shed thread when i finally get organized.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 1:52 PM, Byrdie said:

I stopped by Forest Products today on my lunch hour.  Can't get my phone to sync with my work computer so I'll upload snaps when I get home.  Didn't take too close a look at pricing yet.  They are primarily a cabinet shop that has a lumber room on the side.  They have a pretty good selection on their floor but it's amazing how small a space it's limited to when you compare it to Youngblood.  They do have a nice selection of slabs and the young man I talked to said that anything can be ordered.  I also asked him about deliveries and he said they often ship with Priority (courier) but that if it was close his boss has been known to lend the company van as long as you topped the gas off.

http://www.woodmastersupply.com/ContactUs

Another supplier over by you. Seem like a small mom and pop shop which is awesome.

• Thanks 1