Hijack!

Llama

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

My daughter is going to be based in DC for the next 5 months or so I will have to check this out when we are out there.

I"m sure she'll pick up on the tricks. Download the DC circulator map. Around the mall the busses were free to ride to all the monuments. It makes getting around the mall a breeze compared to walking. I also got my metro card mailed to me before i got there to save some time at the airport.

There are some really good food trucks there too. I had tacos at least once every day for 7 days strait and loved it.

• Like 1

That lift is a clone of the General Excalibur lift & it is definitely the stoutest lift I've seen. Massive cast frame that is supported by 4 threaded posts that are connected by chain & sprockets. I have the Excalibur version & like it a lot.

BTW, that same lift is sold by Magnum, King, and at least one other that I can't remember, so accessories will fit any of them. Just today I was shopping for a set of inserts. SawStop wanted $99 (Cdn dollars, remember) for a set of 4, but KMS, a local tool emporium, had a set of General branded ones for  just $29. Made me smile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Did you order for delivery, or buy in store?  

Had to order. The place near me where I bought my sawstop doesn't carry the inline router table for some reason. Should be here the 3rd from amazon. That gives me a four day weekend to play. 

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

That lift is a clone of the General Excalibur lift & it is definitely the stoutest lift I've seen. Massive cast frame that is supported by 4 threaded posts that are connected by chain & sprockets. I have the Excalibur version & like it a lot.

BTW, that same lift is sold by Magnum, King, and at least one other that I can't remember, so accessories will fit any of them. Just today I was shopping for a set of inserts. SawStop wanted $99 (Cdn dollars, remember) for a set of 4, but KMS, a local tool emporium, had a set of General branded ones for  just $29. Made me smile.

That's good to know for the future. Awesome!

Very well done, no pun intended! I have one similiar that a neighbor welder built and his widow gave to me. Something you may want to consider that he did is cutting a lid section out above the fire box and installing a meat rack to cook burgers and steaks directly above the fire/coals. 

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Very well done, no pun intended! I have one similiar that a neighbor welder built and his widow gave to me. Something you may want to consider that he did is cutting a lid section out above the fire box and installing a meat rack to cook burgers and steaks directly above the fire/coals. 

I had a long think about cutting into the firebox. I joined a few BBQ forums and there were some suggestions about not doing to minimise air leaks/drafts. Came to the conclusion that it was less grinding to not do it and keeps it as a dedicated smoker. Gotta get that Texas style brisket! I can always put the fire grate in the main chamber and grill over that. 

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Why paint it? It will never cook better than it does right now! :D

At the very least I'll summon the courage to clean up some of the welding. I've been dreading that part. A coat of paint will help keep it rust free.

Thanks for your comments. I have a feeling if this is a hobby that I'll continue with, I'll probably build a drum smoker or buy a Kamodo Joe or similar. Those overnight cooks are a killer. I'm trying a hot and fast brisket tomorrow so hopefully it'll turn out ok. 

Time to catchup on some forum posts.

5 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

Might try that high temp manifold paint on the outside

That should work.  Tractor store, if you have one near you also has heat resistant paints.  I also oiled the outside of mine when I cured it and the paint is in top notch shape still after 8 years, except the fire box its not quite as nice as the rest.