Hijack!

Llama

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Thanks Mick. It doesn’t look like it will be quiet as bad as expected. 6” - 8” compared to previous 10-15”, added to the 4” we got last night. Good sleeping weather ( for the wife) ;)

I'd be wading out to my shop to unplug everything and put up sandbags. That's close to our annual rainfall total.

• Haha 1

Why do we cut right to left on the jointer? I get that's how the blades are spinning and not to do it backwards, but everything Americans,and a lot of other countries, do is left to right. We read left to right, you go in a store you go to the right, , etc. So why weren't jointers set up to go the other way?

The overwhelming majority of humans are right handed.  When standing next to the jointer in feed table, as jointers are presently configured, the right arm is optimally positioned to manage the board across the cutter.  

If one were to stand to the side of the cutter, most people are able to exert greater strength and control bringing the right arm into the body than pushing away, so again it is a superior position for the majority.

So what you may really be asking is "isn't it time for a line of left handed tools!"

Mark - I'm clearly not thinking. That logic makes perfect sense. For some reason when I looked at a jointer listing on craigslist that question popped into my head.

Now I'll have to go figure out how to make left hand jointers, routers etc. Maybe I'll sell them as a one-time tool and paint them red!

• Haha 1

I agree that Mark's logic makes sense for a jointer, tablesaw, drill press, router table, etc. I thought the same thing when I read the question. But that brings up another tool's orientation - the bandsaw. With the exception of Inca bandsaws, every bandsaw I've ever used seems to be oriented for left-handed people. Your main feed hand is the left hand and you're really just holding the material against the fence with the right hand. Inca saws are backward, and to me much easier to control with my right hand and support with my left.

Never has made sense to me.

Never really thought about this until now.  I worked as a meat cutter for 32 years and the bandsaws we used were oriented opposite of the bandsaws we use in our wood shops.  I am left handed and those saws never seemed backwards to me but I am a pretty adaptive lefty.  I was apprehensive about buying the OF 1400 router but it has worked out fine.

27 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I didn't realize meat bandsaws were backwards.

I'm a righty but our close family friend is a lefty and he taught my dad and I a lot about woodworking, fishing, etc. Never realized I was doing it as a lefty until I picked up a normal fishing pole.

What's a normal fishing pole? Cause i cast with my right hand and reel with my left.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

What's a normal fishing pole? Cause i cast with my right hand and reel with my left.

I think we had the reel in our right hand but I"m not sure anymore. It's been almost a decade since I was with him fishing. Learning how to tie knots was especially challenging!

2 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Some things are great and some things are dang awkward.

When I was in high school the desks were the worst, the ones with the arm rest on the right.  Lefties need the support because of the way we right and theres nothing there. :o  I very rarely say I hate something but I hated those desks.

• Like 2

I can't remember who the expert sparkeys are on here (by sparky, i mean those that are familiar with electricity). I have a battery charger that i accidentally hooked up on my car backwards so positive to negative and negative to positive. I don't know if i fried the charger and i don't really want to test it with a battery. Is there a safe way for me to know if it's still good or not?