Hijack!

Llama

• 3 weeks later...

So what to do?  Tomorrow I should get the second replacement cast iron top on my bandsaw, which means I will then have two un-needed and not flat enough cast iron tops leaning against the shop wall.  What to do with them?  And before you say it, the wife has already nixed earrings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd use one of them as an outfeed table for the table saw Tap some holes get some hefty bolts and bam done deal. After all this is how  the cast iron wings for a table saw are mounted. The outfeed table for my bandsaw is the best thing I ever did. A cast iron one would be really nice. Too bad shipping just wouldn't be worth it to take it off your hands.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Dude, just lifting one of these up is aerobics, for me anyway.  

I was thinking I could spray them with water every morning and when they finally rusted away I could just vacuum. 

I like your way of thinking. One of my favorite ways of dealing with items on my to do list is to procrastinate long enough that it doesn't matter anymore B)

• Haha 2

A bunch of Tennessee cavers I knew had a good use for such chunks of metal. They kept a pile stashed out in the woods near a spring and would build a large campfire and throw the iron in and heat till they were throwing sparks. Then they were dragged into a sauna tent and splashed with water to steam the sauna to the point you couldnt see your hand in front of your face. When you couldnt stand it any more you could jump into the spring to cool off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran across a John Heitz vid where he tells people NOT to buy glue by the gallon. I thought I'd share with everyone my maths on glue and approximate usage.

I've done the math and, where I buy glue, the break even point is 1/4 gallon (32 oz)of glue used per year. If i used 1/4 of a gallon per year I'll use at least 1/2 a gallon before it goes bad putting the price per ml of glue used identical to that of a 16 oz container. I almost ALWAYS use more than 1/4 gallon per year so it makes sense for me to buy a gallon jug and use ketchup bottlers/gluebot for dispensers. (this is comparing the 500ml (16oz) bottles to the gallon bottles the smaller the bottle the higher the cost per ml so using the 150ml (4oz) bottles it's closer to 1/8 gallon used per year).

Sorry about the metric it was in a youtube comment and the intended audience (John Heitz) who probably won't read the comment any way doesn't understand Oz. I buy glue by the gallon from Menards where a gallon to TB I is $14.50, 16 oz is $3.50, 8 oz is $2.50, and 4 oz is $1.50.

24 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I just ran across a John Heitz vid where he tells people NOT to buy glue by the gallon. I thought I'd share with everyone my maths on glue and approximate usage.

I've done the math and, where I buy glue, the break even point is 1/4 gallon (32 oz)of glue used per year. If i used 1/4 of a gallon per year I'll use at least 1/2 a gallon before it goes bad putting the price per ml of glue used identical to that of a 16 oz container. I almost ALWAYS use more than 1/4 gallon per year so it makes sense for me to buy a gallon jug and use ketchup bottlers/gluebot for dispensers. (this is comparing the 500ml (16oz) bottles to the gallon bottles the smaller the bottle the higher the cost per ml so using the 150ml (4oz) bottles it's closer to 1/8 gallon used per year).

Sorry about the metric it was in a youtube comment and the intended audience (John Heitz) who probably won't read the comment any way doesn't understand Oz. I buy glue by the gallon from Menards where a gallon to TB I is $14.50, 16 oz is $3.50, 8 oz is $2.50, and 4 oz is $1.50.

Didn't see the video, but you are a pretty prolific hobbyist woodworker so it makes perfect sense to me that you'd be buying in bulk.

I can appreciate where he is coming from here. There is a convenience factor of not having to rebottle and store the giant bottle of glue. In either case, glue probably isn't a major cost factor for a lot of woodworkers, especially as stretch into higher quality materials and tools. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I can appreciate where he is coming from here. There is a convenience factor of not having to rebottle and store the giant bottle of glue. In either case, glue probably isn't a major cost factor for a lot of woodworkers, especially as stretch into higher quality materials and tools. :)

Totally agree and good points. I honestly really like the little 4 and 8 oz bottles and for the longest time would refill those. I bought a glue bot because they were on clearance at the local getting spot for $3 or something so figured why not. It's ok but the larger hole is easier to pour into.

I did try carefully to not give a suggestion one way or another for this reason. If you use 1/4 gal a year and appreciate the convince by all means rest assured that your actions are making finical sense. If you are emptying one of the 4 oz bottles ever other day, you might want to consider buying by the gallon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The customers also viewed on that link are quite interesting... Not sure what someone would do with 5 gallons of glue a pair of skinny jeans and a fringe skirt.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I took a beekeeping class together in undergrad. We will have our own hives eventually. Probably once the kids are old enough to understand what they should and should not do around the hives. Honey bees are generally very non-aggressive. Yellow jackets (wasps) are responsible for most “bee” stings.

If you just want them for pollinating your garden you can become a “bee haver” rather than a “bee keeper”. That just means buying (or making) some hive boxes and leaving them out for bees to populate them and do their own thing. Colonies will come and go.

If you want to harvest honey and wax, you’ll need to become a bee keeper. Check on the hive a few times a year and take any necessary action to help the hive.  Honey harvesting takes a good bit of time and equipment, but local beekeeping clubs often have the equipment and let you reserve or rent time with it. 

A strong, healthy colony needs very little help or work, so long as bears, skunks, etc can’t trash them. And don’t use insecticides on your property.

• Like 1