Hijack!

Llama

Here's a current link to the spouts.  I still like the Midwest cans, with the good gasket design the best, but since I fixed the tractor, I've stopped using the 5 gallon cans, and went back to my 100 gallon tank for diesel-needed the tractor with the loader fixed first.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/webwings/m.html?ssPageName=&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2654

• 2 weeks later...

So not much reported on the national news but Monday central Iowa had a Derecho (inland hurricane) many counties are reporting 97 % power out, 3 million acres of crops damaged or destroyed, winds reached 112 mph in some areas, crews from all over are here trying to put the power grid back together, lots of homes and property destroyed across the state from the center all the way to the eastern border, gas is hard to find as the stations have no power , our daughter and family are coming to stay, power slowly coming back but it going to be a while yet, thanks to all the power company people who are working 24/7 to get thing back to normal

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, treeslayer said:

So not much reported on the national news but Monday central Iowa had a Derecho (inland hurricane) many counties are reporting 97 % power out, 3 million acres of crops damaged or destroyed, winds reached 112 mph in some areas, crews from all over are here trying to put the power grid back together, lots of homes and property destroyed across the state from the center all the way to the eastern border, gas is hard to find as the stations have no power , our daughter and family are coming to stay, power slowly coming back but it going to be a while yet, thanks to all the power company people who are working 24/7 to get thing back to normal

Sorry to hear that! The damage that I saw on the Benchcrafted Instagram feed looked devastating(I assume same storm)

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Another unfortunate side effect will be loss of "social distance" for a lot of disrupted households. Covid has surged so much here that the local authorities have decided to cancel in-person school openings.

We have several school districts in our area and they are split pretty much, 50-50. The majority, regardless will start the first three weeks online. Not sure what three weeks buys ya? 

@treeslayer, you didn’t indicate if you guys had any damage or power outage? 

I didn't realize derechos got so big until this storm. We had one in my neighborhood about 8 years ago a few weeks after we moved in to our first house. One literally went straight down the street 30' behind houses. It twisted off the tops to a few trees but thankfully no one in our neighborhood was injured.

On 8/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, treeslayer said:

My cousin lost their house. House is still standing but has sever water damage. Insurance is covering everything. They are currently working on trying to figure something out and in the mean time have had to move in with their parents. My cousin's husband is a lineman for one of the power companies in the Cedar Rapids area so he'll be busy.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems odd to me that I've heard much more about Cedar Rapids here on the forum than I have from the TV. 

I know right! I don't watch the news, haven't in two decades, but I do stay in touch online but there has been very little out there. I saw it first on Benchcrafted's Instagram feed even searching for it doesn't yield much. It looks totally devistating from the pics I've seen.

Yeah it’s really bad, 1/3 of the whole states crop is gone, our daughter on the east side by the river just got their power back after 7 days, the media obviously have more important things too do :wacko:and aren’t reporting much at all, Cedar Rapids took a really big hit but it goes from DesMoines all the way to the Mississippi and beyond 

I don't watch much TV news, but the New York Times has done three stories on the storm and its impact over the past week.  The first, which ran right after the storm was fairly brief.  The one that ran a couple of days ago was a pretty extensive article - including lots of photos (in the on-line version).  What a mess - best wishes to all with the recovery!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/us/midwest-storm-farms.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

I don't watch much TV news, but the New York Times has done three stories on the storm and its impact over the past week.  The first, which ran right after the storm was fairly brief.  The one that ran a couple of days ago was a pretty extensive article - including lots of photos (in the on-line version).  What a mess - best wishes to all with the recovery!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/us/midwest-storm-farms.html

Thanks for sharing! That was very insightful.

The neighbors behind us lost a pretty big tree that destroyed 2 parts of our fence.  Also lost a few shingles during the Derecho, but in all honesty we got pretty lucky.  We were w/o power for 7 days and I know many folks in Cedar Rapids and surrounding small towns are still w/o power.

• Sad 1