Hijack!

Llama

Interesting that she prefers painted. I've only ever lived with wood cabinets and have had relatives and friends with painted. Some love it some hate it. I've heard from quite a few that say cleaning is a constant endless task as the whites and off whites show finger grime a lot and it takes some elbow grease to get it off of some finishes.

The counter argument is if the grime is there you should clean it regardless. My mentality is a little dirt never hurt any one. I also feel we need some germs in our lives to keep our immune systems busy so they don't start fighting our bodies in the form of allergies and immune system diseases.

• Like 1

My parents have had white cabinets for 20 years and they still look clean. I'm okay with painted things at times. Still discussing with my wife about a TV stand. She wants it to look like Ana White farmhouse style and painted but I'm trying to advance my woodworking skills and pocket holed 2x4s don't interest me at this point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

She wants it to look like Ana White farmhouse style and painted but I'm trying to advance my woodworking skills

If you want to try some new joinery and for it to show go with tusk tenons--no amount of paint will cover them up.  Seriously maybe compromise, painted top and natural legs and apron.  

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I think it has a lot to do with the paint applied. Not all of the people with painted cabinets disliked them, i mean they are popular for a reason.

You should work on advancing your woodworking skills. It's always fun to try and do new things. Right now I'm working on a table project that is new for me and is a LOT of fun. If it was painted, George Nakashima would come back and haunt me for the rest of my life undoubtedly. I'm kinda worried about him haunting me anyway for a choice i made.

I personally like hoe wood texture and color allowed for the blending of styles colors and textures in a room. This isn't the case with paint. Having 2 different off whites next to each other can look very jarring. (I was worried about thread hijacking till i realized where this was posted...) I think painting has a place, I just haven't found that place in my house yet.

Legit hijack, we've been getting random wedding gifts and it entertains me when we get some weathered beaten up rustic painted thingys. These people have been to my house and know none of our furniture or decorations are rustic... Hanging a distressed stained and painted sign next to the sideboard I just finished is entertaining but also not happening.

You get the weirdest stuff when you get married. Funny to because it's one of the few times you make a public list of the gifts you want....

Still have some time before I get around to the TV stand. Up first is a whiskey cabinet and then the shaker side table. Unless I get distracted and make the doll bunk bed my daughter wants or helping my dad with a project. All depends on how much time there is in the day.

11 hours ago, Mick S said:

Says who? I publish one semi-annually.

I'm fine with that. My grandfather once emailed his kids and told them they had too much stuff, all they wanted for Christmas was 1/2 cord of firewood.

11 hours ago, Coop said:

I would like to start a go fund me for a new SawStop. Is that unkind and selfish? 

Might as well. People put up crazy things all the time. If we ever saw someone with a wedding registry that had tools I would purchase as many as I could for them. Until then we just write a check.

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

Might as well. People put up crazy things all the time. If we ever saw someone with a wedding registry that had tools I would purchase as many as I could for them. Until then we just write a check.

It's funny i have tools on mine. All the towels and kitchen stuff got purchased and it's only tools left. I think I've been told about 20 times that we don't have any items on our registry.... but there are like 50 items left.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It's funny i have tools on mine. All the towels and kitchen stuff got purchased and it's only tools left. I think I've been told about 20 times that we don't have any items on our registry.... but there are like 50 items left.

We were told the same thing by my wife's office when they had a baby shower for our second kid. We didn't know the sex of the baby so couldn't ask for clothes and already had all the baby stuff. I finally started adding expensive small items so it would be easier for us to return and get the one thing we said we needed all along, diapers.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, legenddc said:

We were told the same thing by my wife's office when they had a baby shower for our second kid. We didn't know the sex of the baby so couldn't ask for clothes and already had all the baby stuff. I finally started adding expensive small items so it would be easier for us to return and get the one thing we said we needed all along, diapers.

Diapers or giftcards/prepaid credit cards are my go to for baby gifts. Friends of ours are having a baby soon and they decided to go with cloth diapers so the first went out the window. I ended up being able to score them a bunch of 2nd hand stuff like strollers etc from neighbors of mine that had grand kids and went a bit to baby crazy. The stuff was free and practically unused.

I can't count how many friends complain about all the stuff they get that gets used once and then stuck in storage.

• Like 1

Well, I posted my 91 Toyota truck last night and sold it in less then 24 hours. Will miss having a truck but this one has a ton of sentimental value as it was my adopted grandfathers truck.

Seemed like having it for 10 years and only putting on 5k miles it was time. Starting to get some body rust and would never some investment soon. Can’t believe used Tacomas go for so much. It retained 40% of its sticker price 29 years later. 

• Like 2