Hijack!

Llama

32 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Dispose of those oily rags safely. Second one of these stories within an hour from me in the last few months.

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2019/09/oily-rags-may-be-responsible-for-1m-brookeville-fire/

I've seen video of it happening and believe it. It's still hard to believe at times though.

6 hours ago, legenddc said:

Dispose of those oily rags safely. Second one of these stories within an hour from me in the last few months.

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2019/09/oily-rags-may-be-responsible-for-1m-brookeville-fire/

There was a guy on one of the other wood forums that had a serious fire in his shop a couple of years ago because of oily rags.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Why does every trestle table i see put the main beam at upper shin height? Do people like hitting their shins on beams?

Maybe better than stubbed toes on a floor level beam?

The trestle table I made last year used an arched main beam. Provides more knee clearance, and allows attachment to the center of the top, forming a sort of 'gusset' at each end. Rigid as it can be.

12 hours ago, legenddc said:

I had a little ARS left over and thought I’d give it a shot. I put a small rag in an old metal coffee can and poured it over the rag and for a little extra measure, I added some saw dust and put it out in the sun. After 3 days of nothing, I filled it with water and put it out with the garbage. Not saying by any means that I doubt this because I’ve heard that it was dangerous. Regardless of this experiment, I always let mine dry before disposing of them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ..Kev said:

I typically lay them out on the floor or drape them over the metal leg on my lathe until they're crispy and then dispose of them in the garbage..

Same here.

The bucket of water thing is confusing to me. Ultimately, the rags need to be exposed to the air to allow the finish to safely cure. Doesn't putting them in water prevent that from happening? After soaking in water, what do you do with the rags?

• Like 1

I always throw mine out on the front sidewalk and will usually put a rock on top so it doesn't blow away. I always wonder what my neighbors think but no one has ever asked.

@K Cooper I've thought about testing it in a safe environment but figured it wouldn't work when I wanted it to. Either way, I enjoy living and having a place to live so, like you,  I'll dispose of them safely.

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I had a little ARS left over and thought I’d give it a shot. I put a small rag in an old metal coffee can and poured it over the rag and for a little extra measure, I added some saw dust and put it out in the sun. After 3 days of nothing, I filled it with water and put it out with the garbage. Not saying by any means that I doubt this because I’ve heard that it was dangerous. Regardless of this experiment, I always let mine dry before disposing of them. 

To catch fire, there needs to be enough oily rags piled up together so the curing finish generates heat faster than the pile can dissipate it. I don't know where that line is, and wouldn't want to accidentally find out :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

Same here.

The bucket of water thing is confusing to me. Ultimately, the rags need to be exposed to the air to allow the finish to safely cure. Doesn't putting them in water prevent that from happening? After soaking in water, what do you do with the rags?

I believe the thought is the water takes the heat out of the equation. You would dispose of the water and rags at the same time. Before you go on about hazardous materials and landfills. Subtitle D the regulation section for MSW landfills in the US ensures they are designed to facilitate household quantities of hazardous material. House hold quantities are approximately 1 quart of paint of finish per household per month.

Drying is still the better option imo.

58 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I believe the thought is the water takes the heat out of the equation. You would dispose of the water and rags at the same time. Before you go on about hazardous materials and landfills. Subtitle D the regulation section for MSW landfills in the US ensures they are designed to facilitate household quantities of hazardous material. House hold quantities are approximately 1 quart of paint of finish per household per month.

Drying is still the better option imo.

But I'm questioning how the finish is going to cure while it's sitting underwater. I'm sure it will eventually, but I could see it taking many days. So you have to leave that sitting around for who knows how long before tossing the rags. And then how are you sure that it has indeed finished curing. I wouldn't want to guess about something like that.

Hang them over the edge of something so the air can get at it & in a day or so you have a nice dry, crunchy rag that you know is not going to get hot in the trash can.

There must be a good reason that I don't know about, cause I read about the water method all the time. Or maybe it's just one of those things that showed up on the internet & somehow gained traction

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

But I'm questioning how the finish is going to cure while it's sitting underwater. I'm sure it will eventually, but I could see it taking many days. So you have to leave that sitting around for who knows how long before tossing the rags. And then how are you sure that it has indeed finished curing. I wouldn't want to guess about something like that.

Hang them over the edge of something so the air can get at it & in a day or so you have a nice dry, crunchy rag that you know is not going to get hot in the trash can.

There must be a good reason that I don't know about, cause I read about the water method all the time. Or maybe it's just one of those things that showed up on the internet & somehow gained traction

I believe it won't finishing curing or at least if it does it will do so very slowly. Oil does float on water so it is possible that the water just stops the runaway oxidation that leads to combustion. I somewhat believe this is to kick the problem down the road to the next guy.

Garbage truck fires and landfill fires come to mind on this. Again I'm not saying it's a good idea i just believe this is the rationale.

35 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Awesome looking wood Cliff, any plans for it?

One piece is going to be a tall  .. bench for lack of a better word. metal legs. but it will have plants on it. My wife specifically wanted to use it. I couldn't talk her out of it. To me it's a bit of a waste. The other piece I'm considering using as drawer fronts for a future dresser build. If not that then panels for something. I want to maximize my usage of it.

25 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Dang, what did you give for it, and I don’t mind me asking! B)

$60 for each. I'd try to think if it's a good deal, but since I've never seen any anywhere else, it's hard for me to place a number on worth. I figured the price was right for me. 

• Like 1

My wife recently bought a painting that I wouldn’t give you 2 cents for and  I bought new guides for my bs and she didn’t understand the need. For many things, value is in the mind of the buyer. Your purchase price sounds good to me. Make good use of that stuff!