Hijack!

Llama

My friends dad offered a lady on the spot for her answer to "Why did you apply for this job" Her reply was a very nonchalant "because it's close to my house and i can walk to work." He said it was the best person he'd ever hired.

The point is sometimes the stuff doesn't make sense but apparently the people doing the hiring have a method to the madness ... :wacko:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

My friends dad offered a lady on the spot for her answer to "Why did you apply for this job" Her reply was a very nonchalant "because it's close to my house and i can walk to work." He said it was the best person he'd ever hired.

The point is sometimes the stuff doesn't make sense but apparently the people doing the hiring have a method to the madness ... :wacko:

I don't know. That sort of speaks to the employees satisfaction and loyalty. If she enjoys the walk and it is very practical for her to fit in with her personal life, those could be strong factors in favor of her staying at the job and her doing a good enough job to keep the position. 

Anyone have a recommendation for security cameras? Cars in my parents neighborhood keep being riffled through, stolen or having their windows shot out with a BB gun. Apparently the police can't catch the people. Fortunately they have their cars in a garage but I'd like to set something up for them in case something happens.

51 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Anyone have a recommendation for security cameras? Cars in my parents neighborhood keep being riffled through, stolen or having their windows shot out with a BB gun. Apparently the police can't catch the people. Fortunately they have their cars in a garage but I'd like to set something up for them in case something happens.

Unifi my friend that is in IT swears by their access points and security cameras. They have a lot of options available are all POE and are commercial grade (he installs them for use in hotels & businesses). They also are a company that gives people the option of privacy to host the service on your own computer or they sell boxes and provide other services.

I have Simplisafe and have been happy with it. I do pay $25 a month which includes monitoring and the camera recording. For reference I switched from ADT 2 years ago becuase the rates had creeped up to almost $70 a month and that didn't include the camera.

5 hours ago, legenddc said:

On my last interview they asked me "what, like, sucks about working for (current company)?".  I've taken a break interviewing since then.

I actually ask that question to the interviewers. What is the best and worst thing about the company. 

6 hours ago, legenddc said:

A friend of mine has a couple of the Ring brand doorbell cams, and swears by them..Pretty high quality, and a decent price, from what I've seen. Near no-brain installation process, too.

52 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I know, same old stuff from Coop every year about this time but I gotta post em!

I just put my tomatoes and peppers in the ground 2 days ago. Though this year i actually have a couple vegetables in my vegetable garden. Those leafy things are rhubarb :D, rest of it is fruit.

8765432143.thumb.jpg.63864cca1864699eea1e0c14a955b246.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Nut, what kind of tomatoes did you plant?

4 Wisconsin 55, 2 heirloom romas

then 4 yellow bells,2 green bells, 2 jalapeno, 2 cayenne, 2 poblano. I'm not sure if the back side of my garage gets enough sun. It's full from noon until 8pm.

9 hours ago, Chet said:

What do you do with the rhubarb Drew.  My mom made great rhubarb pie but I can't find anything close, everybody seems to think you have to have strawberries in the pie.:(

Megan likes to make all sorts of stuff with it. Cookies muffins, she has a rhubarb crisp recipe that is really good. My favorite is my grandma's apricot rhubarb jam.

I think the whole strawberry and rhubarb is over done as well. I also wonder if it got confused because there is a variety of rhubarb called strawberry rhubarb and it's really red and people thought that it was supposed to be strawberries and rhubarb....

• Like 1

My grandma made fantastic rhubarb pie. You can go straight rhubarb or mix it with other fruits, I’m ok either way!

i suggest trying to make rhubarb cherry crisp sometime. I think it is a little easier than making pie and equally as good. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cliff said:

I actually ask that question to the interviewers. What is the best and worst thing about the company. 

Asking what the best and worst thing about the company is totally acceptable. Asking "what sucks", not so much.

We still haven't planted our 'garden' outside. Probably not worth the effort at this point, especially since the squirrels and chipmunks will just eat it all. Maybe I'll get the mulch down this weekend and finish setting up my bandsaw.

22 hours ago, treeslayer said:

I have been wanting some but I want wireless for ease of installing them and I’m cheap so a big subscription fee is out, I’ve been looking at Ring and Nest models and would like to hear if anyone has tried them

I've been thinking about this for a while, but haven't gotten around to setting anything up.

I have a QNAP NAS at home, which can record off a surveillance camera, so no monthly fees.   But I'll probably go with a PoE option, so just have to run a CAT5 cable out of the house which will provide power and network.   I just haven't figured out where I want to put the camera.   Thinking front porch.

Hate to admit it but I got my wireless system at Harbor Freight for a little over $200.  Comes with 2 cameras and can be expanded up to 4 cameras.  The cameras do need to be plugged in for power but transmit wireless to the base.  Add and SD card and you can record for months.  They also offer a wired system that will support up to 8 cameras for about the same price.

Did notice some anomalies - I originally had it set to record 30 second videos but noticed that only one camera can record at a time.  I walked from the field of one camera into the coverage of the other and it wasn't getting the second because the first was still recording.  Shortened the record time up to 15 secs. each and now it works well.  The one camera that's outside sort of faces morning sun and now, after about 1.5 years, the night vision doesn't work - still records but you get a black screen.  Works great during the day.  The camera that's inside my shop works flawlessly - love the shots of a spider crawling over the lens.  New/additional cameras are about $80-100 depending on if you can catch them on sale.

It has a way to transmit to your phone using Skype but I haven't bothered with that (yet) because I don't like my phone.

I've bought cctv stuff from https://www.supercircuits.com/.   I haven't looked at their current offerings, but they have always had the latest things in every price range, and they were always helpful, and nice to deal with.

I put in a hardwired system probably 20, or more, years ago from the barn to the house when we were breeding horses.  First system was B&W.  I put a separate lighting circuit, three wayed to the house, in  the mare's stalls with 25 watt blue light bulbs in them.  IR is probably better now than it was back then.  

I put a run of black poly pipe from under the house to the tack room in the barn.  With a vacuum cleaner, you can pull a line through the pipe to change wires when something new comes along.  I'd advise anyone to do the same with a separate shop building.  Conduit is cheap, but black polyethylene comes in long, continuous rolls, and it's easy to pull wires either way.

• 2 weeks later...