Hijack!

Llama

5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Sparky that just may happen you have some awesome lumber :)

Truth be told my biggest concern is sheet goods. I haven’t bought lumber there in quite a while I pretty much use a local sawyer for that. But the sheet goods at the big box stores in my experience are well let’s just say crap :o

baltic birch, cabinet grade plywood, etc

They were also my go to for laminate but the worst thing is the employees I came to know a couple of them over the years, just sucks all they way around but I’m sure the condo’s will be nice -_-

Yeah the BB sheet goods and cabinet grade ply is going to suck to loose. I'm going to look into a few places isn't there that one yard in maple lake or soemthing?

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Have you shopped Forrest Products Supply in Maplewood? They say they have hardwood ply and probably carry BB ply as well.

Sad to see Youngblood go as I liked their quality and there staff was always helpful.  Got quite a bit of wood there.

I haven't tried this place yet but they're not far from work.  I just scanned their website and they look to have a pretty good offering.  Might have to swing by there on a lunch hour to take a look.  I have a project in mind that I'll need so ply for.  Their hours look a lot more convenient than Youngblood's - I was always having to get there before Noon on Saturdays to get anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Byrdie said:

Sad to see Youngblood go as I liked their quality and there staff was always helpful.  Got quite a bit of wood there.

I haven't tried this place yet but they're not far from work.  I just scanned their website and they look to have a pretty good offering.  Might have to swing by there on a lunch hour to take a look.  I have a project in mind that I'll need so ply for.  Their hours look a lot more convenient than Youngblood's - I was always having to get there before Noon on Saturdays to get anything.

If you do report back!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Byrdie said:

Take a picture of their price list!

• Like 2

i see the Mississippi on a regular basis, drive over the St Croix (border between WI and MN, tributary of the MS) twice a week and live near the Rum River (also tributary of the MS).  All of them have trees growing out of them where the banks normally would be.  I'll agree that the worst seems to be over but feel concern for those that have to deal with it.  This year has been a bugger.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I have a bunch of wire from my main panel upgrade is it worth anything to a recycler? I don't want to get cash for it i'm just curious if i drop off a few lbs of wire if they will recycle it or just trash it?

If it is still insulated, its worth around $1.50/lb right now. Strip it bare, the price goes up a buck.

I promise, they won't toss free money.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I have a bunch of wire from my main panel upgrade is it worth anything to a recycler? I don't want to get cash for it i'm just curious if i drop off a few lbs of wire if they will recycle it or just trash it?

Just strip the covering off, and save the copper wire.  It comes in handy a lot of times.

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Even if it's aluminum it will get properly recycled. The place I take my scrap wire to has a cool machine that shreds the wire into bits about 1/8" long & then uses an air stream to separate the copper from the insulation. The insulation goes for plastic recycling & the copper goes into 4 L paint cans for shipment. When full they are very heavy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Even if it's aluminum it will get properly recycled. The place I take my scrap wire to has a cool machine that shreds the wire into bits about 1/8" long & then uses an air stream to separate the copper from the insulation. The insulation goes for plastic recycling & the copper goes into 4 L paint cans for shipment. When full they are very heavy.

Do they take the breakers and the old panel as well? My dad is telling me to keep all this crap but i tell him time and time again that he's a borderline hoarder.

3 hours ago, Tom King said:

Just strip the covering off, and save the copper wire.  It comes in handy a lot of times.

I keep the stuff of decent length but anything under a couple feet gets tossed. I grab for the scraps a lot so i agree it comes in handy.

If the panel has copper busses they might, but otherwise it just goes to a scrap dealer for minimal or no value. Old circuit breakers are just junk & nobody pays for them unless you get into the big molded case breakers. If those old breakers are not too ancient & are compatible with the new panel then I'd hang on to them.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 3:39 PM, Byrdie said:

Will do for both of you.  Not far from the Rockler by Maplewood.  I've been there a few times - including last week when I stopped to grab a couple pieces I needed to update my dust collection.  Probably will be later this week.

FYI some guild members told me both Forrest Products and Buffalo Veneer & Plywood have good selections of sheet goods. One also mentioned you could special order BB and other higher quality sheet goods from Menards but said he had never done it. I will check that out with my Neighbor since he is a manager at the Elk river store and let you guys know.

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

FYI some guild members told me both Forrest Products and Buffalo Veneer & Plywood have good selections of sheet goods. One also mentioned you could special order BB and other higher quality sheet goods from Menards but said he had never done it. I will check that out with my Neighbor since he is a manager at the Elk river store and let you guys know.

It looks like you can special order BB/CP grade from menards and price isn't bad. If you do an order there is a $14 handling charge that is the same no matter how many sheets.

I priced out cherry at Forest products and almost did a spit take. 5/4 S&B is 9.85 / BF and 8/4 is 10 something..... :blink:

I might start a business and maintain a tax ID just to buy lumber form Metro. Anyone want to split an order with me? I can't afford those prices.

• Like 1