Hijack!

Llama

14 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Finally ordered this. Will be here Monday. It was a tough decision because I would rather pick up a 15" Grizzly with helical head. If it didn't have a 4 month wait I would have. 

I'm a little concerned about my ability to do the swap. I'm not mechanically inclined. 

You will really like it, Shelix includes easy to follow instructions with the head.  Just take your time it is fairly easy.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Several conversations ago, somewhere on here, mention was made by someone about not being able to find something in their shop. Kev did a video on picture frame construction and shortly thereafter I needed to build a frame. I referred back to his video and he used a Bessy strap clamp and it looked awfully familiar. I search far and wide and couldn’t find one that I thought I had so ordered me one. After receiving it, I toyed with where I should store it, deciding on a drawer that doesn’t get used very often. Yep, there was my Bessy strap clamp. 

That's why I have 4 brayers. It's actually time to buy another, I have no idea where the latest one went. 

17 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Several conversations ago, somewhere on here, mention was made by someone about not being able to find something in their shop. Kev did a video on picture frame construction and shortly thereafter I needed to build a frame. I referred back to his video and he used a Bessy strap clamp and it looked awfully familiar. I search far and wide and couldn’t find one that I thought I had so ordered me one. After receiving it, I toyed with where I should store it, deciding on a drawer that doesn’t get used very often. Yep, there was my Bessy strap clamp. 

The video linked suggested to think of the first place you would go to look for an item, and then store it there.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cliff said:

I have officially found a new love: Milwaukee tools. 

I cannot wait for the M18 Fuel Trim Router. 

When it comes time for me to start replacing my old cordless tools I am going to consider switching over to Milwaukee. 

They make some nice stuff. I also like their m12 line. Nice and compact.

I've only heard good things about the M lines of tools as well.

3 hours ago, Alan G said:

When it comes time for me to start replacing my old cordless tools I am going to consider switching over to Milwaukee. 

Unfortuneatly if i get a new drill when my dewalt wears out i'll be going festool. I already have a bunch of 18V batteries for my other cordless festool tools so it only makes sense. I'd be the M line are better than the festool ones though. Many reports of the festool drills suffering from a lack of torque.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:33 AM, Alan G said:

I agree. I bought the m12 impact driver and hacksaw thing and i'm just looking around the shop constantly for a chance to use them because they are so great. Eventually I'll probably give my dewalt stuff away. 

On 6/15/2019 at 9:45 AM, Chestnut said:

I've only heard good things about the M lines of tools as well.

Unfortuneatly if i get a new drill when my dewalt wears out i'll be going festool. I already have a bunch of 18V batteries for my other cordless festool tools so it only makes sense. I'd be the M line are better than the festool ones though. Many reports of the festool drills suffering from a lack of torque.

The only drill thing I have from Festool is the cxs and it's great. I may end up making it a house only tool though with the m12 line being so great. 

• Like 1

I think this has been talked about a few timeless. I got a FWW offer for 2 years at $35 for just print. Is that a good offer for them or just run of the mill?

I don't think I'd ever do the online subscription but having a mag to flip through would be nice. Less screen time is always better imo.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I got a FWW offer for 2 years at $35 for just print

Seems like a pretty good price.  I just looked at my latest issue and the newsstand price is $8.99 so that is around $54.00 a year.

If you end up liking the magazine they have another program for a little more where you can down load pdf's of past articles.  that way you don't have to hang on to the magazines if you see something you might use in the future.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Seems like a pretty good price.  I just looked at my latest issue and the newsstand price is $8.99 so that is around $54.00 a year.

If you end up liking the magazine they have another program for a little more where you can down load pdf's of past articles.  that way you don't have to hang on to the magazines if you see something you might use in the future.

I think i might sign up. Their special on their website is $35 for only 1 year. I've heard enough positive things about the mag. That is a good idea about the PDF option too.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I don’t remember what I pay for the paper copy but will continue. The laptop is too expensive to take that close to the toilet;).

I don't even want to know what you do at your toilet that makes the environment unsafe for a laptop......

2 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

Now hopefully they bring the online price down a little. $99 for a years access is 3x higher than what I paid a year or two ago. 

The $99 includes the print magazine as well. But there is no way to get online access without the print. I checked. I'm sure that I am not the only one that doesn't want the paper. It seems like a totally backward move in a time when we are trying to make the best use of the resources that we have. So that principle, and the fact that it's not a good value are the reasons why I don't subscribe.

I got an email from Fine Homebuilding this morning advertising their All Access program, which includes the print magazine, web access to to all articles, videos and back issues, as well as other content like step-by-step videos and illustrations. The price is $57.90/year, which doesn't seem too bad for that kind of access. I'm debating whether or not to subscribe. Disclaimer - I do subscribe to the print magazine and find the content valuable.

I hope Fine Wordworking does this as well - $99/year is pretty steep, but $57.70/year is doable.

1 minute ago, pkinneb said:

Telephone, DIrectv, and internet access $270 a month

Cell phones $220 a month

FWW $100 a year...sorry guys not seeing the issue :) 

You forgot Hulu subscription $12/m Netflix $10/m and amazon prime $120/ yr.

Man i'm glad Megan's work pays for internet, and we both refuse to pay for cable tv or satellite. Both of our works pay for our cellphones, so i feel like we get off very cheap.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve heard the names Hulu and Netflix but I’ll be damned if I know what they are. So I guess I ain’t buyin it! I do amazon prime for “Free” shipping. 

Just different things to get you to sit in front of a tv to watch ads of some sort.