Hijack!

Llama

I've never done a side by side comparison, but just think typing I am very found of a rotating headstock.  The Nova has it and the Powermatic doesn't.  However, a lot of good turners do not think a rotating head stock is a desirable feature.  Both lathes have sliding headstocks that can be brought to the end of the bed for larger work and improved access, but I still like the rotate feature.

Beyond that I am unaware of the major differences.  If you have specfics, ask away.  

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I've never done a side by side comparison, but just think typing I am very found of a rotating headstock.  The Nova has it and the Powermatic doesn't.  However, a lot of good turners do not think a rotating head stock is a desirable feature.  Both lathes have sliding headstocks that can be brought to the end of the bed for larger work and improved access, but I still like the rotate feature.

Beyond that I am unaware of the major differences.  If you have specfics, ask away.  

Oh i was just curious your thoughts. The Nova is considerably less than the powermatic so it seems that unless there are specific features desired the Nova is the way to go.

I just stumble upon them from time to time on craig's list and have seen these 2 enough to be curious if there was an obvious superior machine. My initial thought was that there isn't it appears you agree. I'll probably never own either but i'm curious.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Oh i was just curious your thoughts. The Nova is considerably less than the powermatic so it seems that unless there are specific features desired the Nova is the way to go.

I just stumble upon them from time to time on craig's list and have seen these 2 enough to be curious if there was an obvious superior machine. My initial thought was that there isn't it appears you agree. I'll probably never own either but i'm curious.

O, I don't know if I believe THAT. I'd bet you'll have yourself a lathe someday, Nut. 

I have a low end Jet that I bought because the price was right and it has a longer bed.  Thought I'd be making more in the way of spindles and legs.  Two things I'd love to have is a larger diameter swing and a head that rotates so I could do larger diameter turnings off the side of the bench.

I have a picture of a sample leg I turned but can't load it on this system.  When I get back to my desk at my other plant I'll see if I can remember to upload it.  I've promised other pics that I haven't posted yet so don't hold your breath.

This is the Jet lathe I have and a sample leg I turned from a construction 4x4.  I was doing a dining table for someone who wasn't sure what type leg they wanted so I actually did 4 different - straight no taper, tapered on 2 adjoining sides, tapered on all 4 sides and this simple turned leg.  Her first comment was, "You have a lathe?!" and then she went with the 2 side taper.  I kind of like the shape of this one but didn't make more.  I use the prototype table as a Winter work bench in my basement.

Leg 1.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cliff said:

Really looking forward to using this.

I have been thinking about this one.  Until I watched a couple of video demonstrations of the Rotex I had no interest in it.  Now I can't decide between it and the ETS EC 150/5 EQ that I had been planning on. 

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Good work. 2 Years, i don't think i've made it a single year since i first drank the kool-aid.

Yeah I've kind of hit a wall where I honestly don't need anything else. I bought Domino, 1400 router, cxs all within a month or two of each other, and had to smack myself into submission. I'd really like to replace my 150/3 with a brushless though. 

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Congrats Cliff. Is that a new one or reconditioned?

New. One of these days I'll pick up a reconditioned tool from them. If I do it will probably be a CT. I came close a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I have been thinking about this one.  Until I watched a couple of video demonstrations of the Rotex I had no interest in it.  Now I can't decide between it and the ETS EC 150/5 EQ that I had been planning on. 

I love my 150/3, I couldn't deal with life without that. But I definitely find myself needing more aggressive removal often. I'm actually more confident in my ability to keep something flat with a sander than a hand plane, so I use sanders for reasons I probably shouldn't. 

Speaking of Domino, I’m making a simple picture frame using the Domino. I cut one end of each piece with the tight fit and the other with the middle fit and after dry fitting, I find each joint is not level. Upon further observation, I found that the high side was on the end of the tight fit. I went back and recut the tight ones to the middle fit and all joints are now smooth. Anyone have a solution? 

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Speaking of Domino, I’m making a simple picture frame using the Domino. I cut one end of each piece with the tight fit and the other with the middle fit and after dry fitting, I find each joint is not level. Upon further observation, I found that the high side was on the end of the tight fit. I went back and recut the tight ones to the middle fit and all joints are now smooth. Anyone have a solution? 

Any possibility you had the machine tilted a bit, not perfectly flat against the reference face of the stock? I would think the looser fit could tolerate that better than the tight fit.

5 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I always wondered where all this "Golden Ratio" business originated from, then I stumbled across this:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/nature-golden-ratio-fibonacci.html

Now it actually makes some sense!

And now I'm reminded of every job interview I've ever had where someone made me program a fibonacci algorithm. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I always wondered where all this "Golden Ratio" business originated from, then I stumbled across this:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/nature-golden-ratio-fibonacci.html

Now it actually makes some sense!

Interesting presentation.  

I have to say, though, that as much as I "instinctively" like phi and Fibonaci I don't always find them to be the most aesthetic solution for every design, especially when it comes to curves.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

And now I'm reminded of every job interview I've ever had where someone made me program a fibonacci algorithm. 

Man that sounds awful. My job interviews always seemed like a joke.

My favorite was seeing the google interview question typically asked "Why are manholes round".... lol so they don't fall down the hole silly.

Speaking of lathes, the only new large tool I would buy, and one that I really sort of lust after, is a Robust lathe.   A hobbyist here on the lake let me try his out, and I'm glad he did, but wish he hadn't.  In the meantime, my old Delta that you have to change the belt on to change speeds will still serve me good enough for what little turning I do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Man that sounds awful. My job interviews always seemed like a joke.

My favorite was seeing the google interview question typically asked "Why are manholes round".... lol so they don't fall down the hole silly.

Oh yeah my interviews are multiple hour nonsense sessions. More senior I get the stupider they become.

I know that's why manhole covers are round but I really prefer "because people aren't square"