Hijack!

Llama

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

Are cyclones by nature much louder than the bag collectors? Many people mention that their DC is super loud, but I was quite surprised how quiet the “2hp” HF collector is. 

My 3hp gorilla pro seems quieter than the hf dc. Though it's not right there.

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

Thanks Tom. I'm thinking I'd like to start with the bigger motor and add the cyclone later, if desired. I'm not a production shop, so more frequent filter cleaning/changing doesn't really worry me. That is easier for me to deal with than a system that simply isn't capturing the dust to begin with. 

This isn't a bad option. The one down side maybe is space. A cyclone unit might be more space efficient but they should both work well.

No offense intended to Sam Maloof - I think his work is beautiful and something I aspire to mimic in some aspects.  However, I think this is another one of those cases where someone is so intelligent they end up overthinking something.  He states that he feels it's the wood that is removed in the mortise that makes the joint weaker.  The fallacy in that is the removed wood is replaced by the wood in the tenon and the glue that makes the bond.  Unless he's worried about lateral forces blowing out the sides of the joint I don't see it.  Even then, the bond from side to side creates a complete unit that shouldn't be any weaker.

Sam's work seems that it was highly sculpted and tended to be delicate. I wonder if it was theoretical or learned from multiple joint failures. Everything has its place its not simple to say x is always the best strongest ect.

It's also well documented that M&T is not the strongest option. It just balances hiding the joint with enough strength for most situations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

De ja vu! And she wanted me to see some kid singing on America’s Got Talent or one of those. 

Ooh man. I put the kabosh on that about American Idol season 8. 

On an unrelated note,  indoor gardens do not like 108* temps. It makes everything very sad.  Including me

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

There has to be an untold story? So how did it get to that temp and how in the world do you grow tomatoes indoors? 

I don't know if he's growing that kind of garden ;).

43 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Ooh man. I put the kabosh on that about American Idol season 8. 

On an unrelated note,  indoor gardens do not like 108* temps. It makes everything very sad.  Including me

My basil and cilantro germinated like 2 months ago and hasn't grown past 1/4" and two leaves in 2 months i'm baffled. though my temps are around 68 on a good day. Thyme & oregano decided they didn't want to even germinate.

44 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I don't know if he's growing that kind of garden ;).

My basil and cilantro germinated like 2 months ago and hasn't grown past 1/4" and two leaves in 2 months i'm baffled. though my temps are around 68 on a good day. Thyme & oregano decided they didn't want to even germinate.

I had an issue last year where everything germinated and then would just not grow much past the initial 2 leaves. Turns out I had the wrong lights, even though the ones I bought were sold as grow lights for plants. Swapped them out for some full specturm 4500K tubes from my shop and they took off.

This year with the correct lights the seedlings are growing as expected.

8 hours ago, Alan G said:

I had an issue last year where everything germinated and then would just not grow much past the initial 2 leaves. Turns out I had the wrong lights, even though the ones I bought were sold as grow lights for plants. Swapped them out for some full specturm 4500K tubes from my shop and they took off.

Yeah it makes no sense when the adult plants are growing like weeds. Unless the germination need something different that the adults.

Attended my second funeral at Arlington National Cemetery yesterday. For anyone who hasn't witnessed a service there it's an amazing thing to watch. Anyone visiting DC should try to visit the cemetery.

Does anyone know if there is an appropriate way to display one of the shell casings from the 3 rifle volley? I have one from the first funeral I attended and I'd like to do something with it.

On 4/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, K Cooper said:

There has to be an untold story? So how did it get to that temp and how in the world do you grow tomatoes indoors? 

In the summer when flowering, my girls need about 2x the normal light and with that, I have a we circulating error system that dumps hot air outside pulling cool air from the house into the garden.  my wife had a busy day and forgot to open the bypass in the morning as it heated up and when I got home everybody was very sad. 

Coop, you ain't never grown already stewed tomatoes? 

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2019 at 4:54 AM, Chestnut said:
On 4/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, Alan G said:

Having the right lights at different stages is important. I have 4 types of lamps for different stages. Although HPS and MH have been adopted for growing, LED's and specifically quantum boards are taking that world over.  Easily adjustable spectrum, intensity, and are dimmable. Great investment for indoor gardeners.

I worked at a lighting supplier about 20 years ago. Every so often someone would walk in inquiring about purchasing a “big” High pressure sodium light, “ like the ones for parking lots”.

they were always so nervous looking. I died laughing every time!

On 4/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, Alan G said:

Have youb tried a seedling heat mat? I clone and germinate in a dome at 90°. The initial humidity and warmth really kicks root development off early. Adding a mycorrhizal inoculant also helps Tons!

4 minutes ago, Alan G said:

I do use heat mats to help with germination. I have never tried an inoculant though.

You can read up on the science. Way too much for me but essentially microryza is a great living additive that helps early symbiosis of the bacteria in your growing medium. 

• Like 1