Hijack!

Llama

On 12/28/2018 at 2:49 PM, K Cooper said:

A couple of questions. I am building this hall tree for my dil. 

75767DBA-53A1-47AF-ADDC-D606141061F8.thumb.jpeg.ca76b2b8833a221ef22efe7b9d10ce48.jpeg

Here is the door without a finish.

171D71A6-4688-4B38-AAB7-3503DFB37E50.thumb.jpeg.6792a8309bcc10f4aaa3aa06493ab129.jpeg

The sides of the seat part will have walnut flat panels. So my questions are, should the single panel on each side have their own separate stiles or use the legs as part of the frame? Also, and I hope it’s legible, do these proportions look ok?

8E19694F-95FA-418D-88CE-45C17EB0EE87.thumb.jpeg.7dbc074911d82a735d06030d988ddc4f.jpeg

I’m still working on this. Here is one of the sides of the seat. The panel part is 14” x 14” with 2.5” high rails. The tapered part of the leg is 4” long. It will have a drawer in the front. The front is the same width of the door which is 26”. Question is, do the rails on the front need to be  the same width as the ones on the side. Can they be wider to keep the drawer from being so tall? 

A110ECEC-2658-48DD-9A43-37AB6503C0DD.thumb.jpeg.7be473faaa3229bad644934fc06bc866.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Dave. Yeah, that’s my concern as the drawer won’t be but 12” or so deep and it being that wide, I would like to keep the height down some. Truth is, it probably will never be used. I was seriously thinking of just making an opening without a drawer. 

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

Its basically the same process Coop.  You keep playing around with it until your happy with what you are looking at.

Chet has it right.   It's the eyes that make a piece good or bad.  Try my previous suggestion.... Draw it out till you have what appeals to your eyes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Chet has it right.   It's the eyes that make a piece good or bad.  Try my previous suggestion.... Draw it out till you have what appeals to your eyes.

There lies the problem. I’m having eyelid surgery on the 11th so I can see. Maybe I  should put this off until after the swelling goes down ;)

22 minutes ago, RichardA said:

It's a mental thing, that your eyes see.  Take the break, before when cutting something, you remove a vital part that your wife might miss.

Did as you suggested. I’m making the front face frame from maple. :(

On 1/5/2019 at 8:55 PM, wdwerker said:

Put a door on the front, make the rails match the sides. Or just leave it open... could be a good place to keep a spare pair of shoes ?

If I put doors (this will go in a hall and I think one door would be too wide) would it look funny if I made the panels from walnut as I think I have enough cherry on there already. Or even make them solid from walnut without panels. And I was only joking about making the front face frame from maple. 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

I think I have enough cherry on there already. Or even make them solid from walnut without panels.

You can never have too much cherry, just like you can't have a car that's too fast, a girl too pretty, too much money, too many tools, too much wood and on and on:lol: seriously Coop i think walnut with cherry panels like the sides and back would look great and match very well and i don't think that's too much cherry. IMO i would not make the doors solid it would seem like an odd match to me. if you do go with all walnut i would make frame and panel like the rest of the piece. and just for the nuts of it as long as you asked are you going with pulls, handles or my suggestion magnetic touch latches, won't snag pants legs. 

• Like 1

Thanks bud, appreciate ya. Dil is wanting the black hangers as shown on the white original and I think maybe going one step further and adding an old door knob painted black. This maybe an end of year (2020) project as long as it’s taking me. Drawer pull would be a  rounded shape, for that very reason, also in black.