Hijack!

Llama

On 10/25/2018 at 9:20 PM, Chestnut said:

My marking gauge got me again....

What tool in your shop is the most likely to draw blood, and you can't say yourself... :DMine is my marking gauge. Cut myself with it nearly every other time i use it.

If I had to guess.. chisels have been responsible for more blood in my shop than all other injuries combined. 

While my chisels have done some damage, my biggest injuries have been from stupid crap like straining hard to losen some nut on a machine, only for it to finally give, resulting in the back of my hand suddenly scraping against the raw metal edge of some chanel or other component of a tool. 

I have a very small shop, just walking my hip into my tiny bench vice has gotten me a few times, though it doesn’t draw blood per say. 

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

While my chisels have done some damage, my biggest injuries have been from stupid crap like straining hard to losen some nut on a machine, only for it to finally give, resulting in the back of my hand suddenly scraping against the raw metal edge of some chanel or other component of a tool. 

I have a very small shop, just walking my hip into my tiny bench vice has gotten me a few times, though it doesn’t draw blood per say. 

Get a breaker bar and a pipe. Life is too short to beat your knuckles up like that. I use an old junk shower curtain rod as my breaker bar extension.

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Get a breaker bar and a pipe. Life is too short to beat your knuckles up like that. I use an old junk shower curtain rod as my breaker bar extension.

Sure, but the point was more that there is always something to bang into, and most of my injuries come from things of that more than from actually getting hurt by the pointy or sharp ends of my tools... One time I was testing the tracking on my bandsaw blade. Power was off and everything, of course. I just grabbed the upper wheel and gave it a modest spin, but on the down motion I accidentally slid my hand against the metal extrusion of the blade cover. That peeled back a few layers of skin. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I was expecting a picture of a spectacular fountain, then I re -read the post. 

Lol the fountain is a misconception. A hydrants valve is deep underground and they are designed to break away at ground level so there is no chance of creating a fountain. Though I'd love to see it happen. most hydrants are fed from a 6" line and can flow something like 1,500 gallons per minute and the fountain would probably shoot a good 175 feet in the air.

I drove by shortly after a pickup truck had backed over a hydrant & somehow it had broken the valve down below. It was spectacular. Looked like it was just about lifting the back of the truck off the ground. Later that day I saw there was a pretty good sized crater around where the hydrant was.

I tried to find a related thread to hi-Jack but this is the best I could find without consequences. Recently I  bought some of the Stop Loss bags for my ARS and was wondering, since they are clear, if light will affect the ARS in any way? Perhaps I should contact r & d with GF? 

10 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I tried to find a related thread to hi-Jack but this is the best I could find without consequences. Recently I  bought some of the Stop Loss bags for my ARS and was wondering, since they are clear, if light will affect the ARS in any way? Perhaps I should contact r & d with GF? 

I use them and would be interested in what they have to say

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Stop taking your finish bags to the beach with ya. Problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to determine how thick to make a desktop. We bought some cabinets and this will be placed on top of them. The span that will be unsupported is about 33". I've looked at the Sagulator but I can't figure out what the weight is when someone has their arms on the desk or pushes up to stand up.

Would 3/4" plywood work or should I go with 3/4" walnut or thicker?

5 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I'm trying to determine how thick to make a desktop. We bought some cabinets and this will be placed on top of them. The span that will be unsupported is about 33". I've looked at the Sagulator but I can't figure out what the weight is when someone has their arms on the desk or pushes up to stand up.

Would 3/4" plywood work or should I go with 3/4" walnut or thicker?

That is pretty thin. I would try to stiffen it, regardless if you use solid wood or plywood. You could make the entire thing much thicker, like how woodworking work benches are made. One drawback is you use a lot of material and get a massively heavy piece of furniture. The typical alternative is to stiffen the top with a perimeter skirt. It also gives you a place to both hide and attach your legs. 

In general, you are unlikely to actually fracture or snap a desk top, but a flimsy one will not give a good feel.