Hijack!

Llama

I keep an eye on ebay and buy real nice pieces when I see them, and occasionally from Bell Forest. Usually the boards are plastic wrapped together, then a layer of bubble wrap at the ends and part way up the board, then a box around all that. I've had great experiences. However I don't think I've ever gotten a deal. It's always been way more expensive to get it online. 

For instance, I was looking at the Bell Forest kit for the Morris Chair build, with guild discount it's about $500 (not sure if s/h gets added onto that.) We're basically talking 50 bdft of quartersawn white oak. I think I can get that locally for less than $300. 

Oh no noble experience i just forgot that i cut all the mortises for the next bookshelf assembly and when i looked over and saw them all cut was super happy. hence happy dance gif.

If there is anything noble to come out of it is to do things in batches. That has lead to as many mistakes as it has solved so not sure if it's that noble.... <shrug>

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Usually when I cut joinery or anything else ahead of time the piece moves enough to make assembly difficult or impossible. Then I have to smash things. 

Ah (I did some work in product manufacturing and quality assurance):  you've just reconstructed the discussion/debate about batch processing vs "just in time".

In batch processing you set the tool once and realize time savings that way -  unless you set the tool wrong, or something else went south in the process, or there's been a change in what  you needed the parts to look like, or...

I can’t figure this one out. My SIL’s church is having a fund raising bazaar so I thought I would donate a couple of cutting boards. After gluing up my boards, I cut out a pattern using 3/4” mdf. It was then that I realized I should have used 1/4” as my bits weren’t long enough to use a pattern guide. So I ran my router base plate along the pattern. I’ve made two cuts in one board and one in the other and I get the same gap in each cut. My router base plate is round but just in case, I made sure the contact point remained the same throughout the cuts. The pic shows the pattern on top of one of the boards. Hopefully you can see the gap. Concentrate on the right side of the pic. 

28A306EE-EC3A-4579-8FAC-088B709B4787.thumb.jpeg.df073316200678f57e32fe5136c516fe.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Not sure I understand your operation, Coop.  Were you running the router base along the edge of the template instead of the bearing on the router bit?

I think this is it. The router bit needs to be directly against the template via bearing. If it is offset by the distance from the bit to edge of the base the resulting piece will not match up.

The tutorial did use a guide bushing but as the template was so thick, my bit in the plunge router was not long enough to make a cut. Yes, I am running the router base along the edge of the template. The lines line up at the start and finish but not in the curves. Again, the point of contact remains constant throughout the cut.

Ken so are you trying to cut all the way through with the base riding along the template?

From my understanding you want to only make a single pass riding along the template and then separate the two pieces using your band saw or jig saw. Then a bearing guided strait bit removes the rest of the material riding along the edge from the guided cut. Making multiple passes along the template increases the change that you'll cut in one spot or another making the opposite edges different causing gaps.

Make Something has a good video on it.

51 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Hmmm....interesting. 

Can you post a pick of your router base?

Will do when I get home tonight.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Ken so are you trying to cut all the way through with the base riding along the template?

From my understanding you want to only make a single pass riding along the template and then separate the two pieces using your band saw or jig saw. Then a bearing guided strait bit removes the rest of the material riding along the edge from the guided cut. Making multiple passes along the template increases the change that you'll cut in one spot or another making the opposite edges different causing gaps.

Make Something has a good video on it.

No, not trying to go all the way thru. Instructions say just 1/4' and then I did as you mentioned, cut the remaining with the band saw and trimmed flush with a straight bit with bearing on the router table. All in all, it's coming together well, just wondering if there was an explanation for the gap?   

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Will do when I get home tonight.

No, not trying to go all the way thru. Instructions say just 1/4' and then I did as you mentioned, cut the remaining with the band saw and trimmed flush with a straight bit with bearing on the router table. All in all, it's coming together well, just wondering if there was an explanation for the gap?   

Is your flush trim bit square to your router table? Is the guide bearing clean? Is the bit worn out?

I don't know if the bit being worn out matters but mine is getting pretty bad and i feel like it's not working as well as it should. I want to get one of those fancy big daddy bits but the cost is standing in the way.