Hijack!

Llama

Well, I guess it's lunchtime now after seeing that image.

I keep missing out on good deals on Nextdoor and Craigslist. 20 minutes too late for an entire free shop of Delta/Powermatic tools that an older gentleman was giving away and I missed out on a 14" Ridgid bandsaw for $75 within walking distance of my parents house.

• Sad 3

On 6/30/2018 at 11:45 AM, Chestnut said:

Found a deal on Craig's list for 2 incra gauges for the price of 1. I was looking at the 1000se so i figured the 1000hd would do. Not sure what I'll do with the other but we'll see maybe sell it if i don't use it.

0629182012_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.225c3f3c335a15469b62a1a0971ab3ee.jpeg

Hey Drew, did you setup the 1000HD? Is it worth getting?

2 hours ago, lewisc said:

Hey Drew, did you setup the 1000HD? Is it worth getting?

Lewis,

I have had the 1000HD for 5 years now and it is worth the money.  It took very little set up and has stayed dialed in.  I would recommend it.

• Like 1

I still use my cross cut sled but just for wider pieces. I feel like I have more control over them. Also the cross cut sled engages more of the miter slot (than the 1000hd) before the piece meets the blade. 

One of the few complaints I have about the SawStop is the table size. Which it was  bigger, especially before the blade. I guess you get that on the ICS. 

38 minutes ago, Alan G said:

One of the few complaints I have about the SawStop is the table size. Which it was  bigger, especially before the blade. I guess you get that on the ICS. 

Yeah that's one of the things lost on the PCS sawstop vs PM2000 conversations. Having less i can't really say my world would be changed by it. Do you really run into wanting more space before the blade that often?

13 hours ago, lewisc said:

That’s good to hear. Does it take the place of a cross cut sled or do you use them for angled cuts mostly? 

If I personally was going to buy one and not get an awesome used deal i'd have done the 1000SE. I didn't really see the extra cost for the HD vs the SE as being worth it.

10 hours ago, Chet said:

Yea, I am like Alan, I use it for most cuts.  But I have been giving some thought to getting the Incra sled. :)

One thing i also got in the craigs list score but forgot to mention is the 2 miter gauges came with a miter express. I was going to say you could try that and see if you like the sled option but after looking at the price ...... holy dang incra stuff is dang expensive. Who do they think they are woodpeckers :D .

• Like 1

You should try buying in Australia then. The 1000HD is $285 and the SE is $235. 

One big complaint I read about is that out prices are much higher than over the pond.  We are pretty far away and have a much smaller population so I get that. It’s probaly more too it than that but I don’t pretend to understand things like economy and business matters. 

I’ve also been tossing up buying a woodpeckers square but that’s $220. It’s almost into the custom boutique squares a few makers over here are doing. 

10 minutes ago, lewisc said:

You should try buying in Australia then. The 1000HD is $285 and the SE is $235. 

One big complaint I read about is that out prices are much higher than over the pond.  We are pretty far away and have a much smaller population so I get that. It’s probaly more too it than that but I don’t pretend to understand things like economy and business matters. 

I’ve also been tossing up buying a woodpeckers square but that’s $220. It’s almost into the custom boutique squares a few makers over here are doing. 

Ick guess i know if this engineer thing doesn't work out i could make it in a life of crime smuggling wood working tools into Australia.

Man i woke up at 6am to beat the heat and humidity. Walked outside to a furnace. I don't live in Texas for a reason.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah that's one of the things lost on the PCS sawstop vs PM2000 conversations. Having less i can't really say my world would be changed by it. Do you really run into wanting more space before the blade that often?

Not when ripping but every time I’m crosscutting. 

If I’m crosscutting a wide piece of plywood around 24” (cabinet depth) the sled tends to want to dump off the front of the saw for those first few inches. Annoying. 

I keep meaning to build one of those clamp on support things someone has shown here before. 

8 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Not when ripping but every time I’m crosscutting. 

If I’m crosscutting a wide piece of plywood around 24” (cabinet depth) the sled tends to want to dump off the front of the saw for those first few inches. Annoying. 

I keep meaning to build one of those clamp on support things someone has shown here before. 

Ahh yeah i don't do that kind of work often.

Believe it was gee-dub

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

I agree If I had known I would have bought the ICS as well, other than that I really like the SS better than my PM66. 

Regarding the 1000HD I still use sleds alot but probably use the Incra as often its definitely my go to miter gauge.

I have an Incra miter gauge, offhand I don't remember the model.  But when I need to get something started in front of it and the gauge will drop off the front of the saw.  I simply remove it and bring it in from the back side and start my cut. Then stop the saw and bring it back around to it's natural starting point.  Works every time. 

One thing I’m appreciating about buying stuff that’s made in the USA is the instructions. They’re well written and easy to follow. I don’t need to decipher what they might mean. Some of the cheaper equipment have manuals that aren’t so easy to follow. 

A866C0DB-7AEC-43AF-9DB0-7FFC76CA6FC8.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lewisc said:

One thing I’m appreciating about buying stuff that’s made in the USA is the instructions. They’re well written and easy to follow. I don’t need to decipher what they might mean. Some of the cheaper equipment have manuals that aren’t so easy to follow. 

Congrats on the gauge hope you enjoy it.

I've heard countless times from my friends that are mechanical engineers that good translations are the hardest part to a good manual. Most of the time the manuals are written over seas and the translators that do the work generally don't have the technical background to fill in the information that gets lost in translation.

No body wants a manual written by an engineer, unless said engineer is an industrial engineer than they might do a good job.

• 2 weeks later...

24" Jet clamps are $60 each ! Grab all 8 and sell a few. I've heard great things about the Jorgensen parallel clamps .  I've got 12 - 24" clamps and frequently have them all in use and have to use longer clamps where another 24" would have worked. $30 apiece is a pretty decent price.