Hijack!

Llama

I'm looking at stepping up and getting a fuji spray system. Thinking of the semi pro 2 gravity set up. Initially I'm planning to spray shellac, but I imagine I'll get it into other stuff later. 

In addition to the core sprayer, hose, compressor unit what else do I need to purchase right away to get up and running? General related suggestions welcome. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I'm looking at stepping up and getting a fuji spray system. Thinking of the semi pro 2 gravity set up. Initially I'm planning to spray shellac, but I imagine I'll get it into other stuff later. 

In addition to the core sprayer, hose, compressor unit what else do I need to purchase right away to get up and running? General related suggestions welcome. Thanks!

I don't know about the semi pro 2 model but the fuji MM4 i bought came basically ready to go.

You could do the 3M PPS system to cut down on cleaning but it's not necessary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I don't know about the semi pro 2 model but the fuji MM4 i bought came basically ready to go.

You could do the 3M PPS system to cut down on cleaning but it's not necessary.

I am considering the MM3 or 4 as well, but can't really figure out the difference. Something about additional stages of the turbine? What is the benefit of that? 

Spray thicker heavier finishes. I always wanted to leave the door open to be able to spray for automotive work. If your pretty sure you'll just spray clears with it there is not much of a reason to go to a 4 stage a 3 would be about as high as you'd need and a 2 stage would be more than enough. The 2 stage is more of a hobbyist so it might wear out faster but for most people it's still going to outlast them. The fuji systems seem to be very well made.

• Like 1

I've been using a American Turbine 4 stage for many years. It's more of a pro/ commercial unit. It will run 2 guns at once. I use a 30 ft hose.  3 stage should be plenty for most shops. 

Tie your turbine down before spraying. If you get to the end of the hose, snag it on something or trip over it and a running Turbine hits the floor it's days are numbered. I had this happen to me. It still ran but was making funny noises. Finished the job, but during the next job it died spectacularly, screaming and smoking ! 

You guys are great. I can always rely on someone to come back with a more expensive option to make my choice feel Like the lower cost, "practical" option. i don't see myself doing car work or thick paints, so looks like the 2 turbine will suffice. Has great reviews on Amazon (all Fuji systems do).

On 4/6/2018 at 5:13 PM, Chestnut said:

Just remember moment of inertia is (1/12)bh^3

Where
b= base of beam
h= height of beam

deflection is (5wL^4)/(384EI)

Where
w=load per unit length
L= legnth
E= Modulus of elasticity
I=Moment of Inertia

Make sure all units are the same typically inches is used. Wood database has published E values for most woods.

Have fun :D eerr wait you said easier not tougher.

Fortunately this will only be 18" off the ground. Wife is taking care of getting some quotes, but if the Lowe's calculator is anywhere close to accurate I'll just powerwash our current deck and go buy some mulch for the other areas. No reason to spend that much for something we barely use.

If you are patient and have some mechanical skills and tools they will do ok. The jointer just takes a lot of patience to get the blades set right. Radial arm saws (especially the home models) can be dangerous so find the manual online and read it cover to cover. Radial saws will crosscut & angle cut but don't even consider ripping or molding with it. Mine was fussy about staying perfectly square. If you don't have super precice cuts in mind it will crosscut better than using a circular saw. 

I had both, sold the jointer, gave the saw to a friends dad.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, Isaac said:

I have this sprayer.  The Pro 2 comes with a 1.3 needle and air cap if you are going to us it to start with on shellac you will probably want to get 1.0 needle and air cap.  The 1.3 is going to put the shellac down too heavy. 

Also this is a great book and DVD to get you started.  Watch the dvd first.

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Finishing-Simple-Step-Step/dp/1600850928

On 06/04/2018 at 4:13 PM, Chestnut said:

Just remember moment of inertia is (1/12)bh^3

Where
b= base of beam
h= height of beam

deflection is (5wL^4)/(384EI)

Where
w=load per unit length
L= legnth
E= Modulus of elasticity
I=Moment of Inertia

Make sure all units are the same typically inches is used. Wood database has published E values for most woods.

Have fun :D eerr wait you said easier not tougher.

Just when I was starting to really enjoy my retirement, you had to remind me...........:P

• Haha 1