Hijack!

Llama

Cliff, thanks but a little too big for me. My niece has one and she greats us, on hind legs at the door, is looking down on me thru the window. After she calms down, she’s a great dog. So now, let me put one more restriction in the specs, not more than 60 - 70 lbs. 

p.s. Beautiful dogs bud! 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of large dogs in the house. We tend to adopt mutts, and currently have a 10 year old minpin+something blend. Short haired, sheds a little, but in general pretty clean. Mutts seem to be less prone to the sort of health problems that purebreds tend to have.

If I were to pick a purebred, I'd go with a french bulldog, just for giggles. Bullies and pugs make me laugh every time I see one.

• Haha 1

These are my two puppers. Pixel, the mini Australian Shepard, on the left and Krieger, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi, on the right. Pixel is a year old and a whopping 26 lbs, and Krieger is 10 months old and weighs in at 32 lbs.

Pixel is a bit of a spaz, super high energy, too smart for her own good, listens to commands maybe the 2nd or 3rd time they're said, but damn is she fast and quick on her feet. She's also super pretty. Krieger is a bit slower, but takes corners better, and he is probably the smartest dog I've ever met. We had him fully trained to know sit, stay, shake, lie down, roll over, heel, quiet, speak, up, down, upstairs, downstairs, inside, outside, walk, as well as go find your sister and go get mommy, by the time her was 5 months old. But he's a bit lazy. Smart little loaf. :)

DSC_0075.JPG

Edited by Catco
Added more info

Our chocolate lab sheds 2 a year (winter-spring and summer-fall).  I agree with Cliff, mastiffs are great dogs, however tend to have a short life span.  If I was going to buy a new dog, I would probably think about a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but they need A LOT and I do mean a lot  of exercise.

Coop, since the Mrs. is wanting the pup, I'd suggest a chihuahua for her. They seem to prefer staying curled up in mama's lap more than anything. The longhairs don't shed, and can be groomed to shorthair easily enough. They can be yappie, if not trained properly, but don't eat much, and don't make much mess.

I’m kinda liking Catco’s Shepherd or maybe a Canoe Lab (a smaller lab bred to hunt from small boats).  When my wife and I got married, I had a 5’ Boa that I fed rats, and she hates rats and she doesn’t care for chihuahuas because they remind her of the rats, no offense to chihuahua owners. It’s the main reason the boa didn’t reach the length of 6’ while living with us;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

Our chocolate lab sheds 2 a year (winter-spring and summer-fall).  I agree with Cliff, mastiffs are great dogs, however tend to have a short life span.  If I was going to buy a new dog, I would probably think about a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but they need A LOT and I do mean a lot  of exercise.

I don't know what you heard but my mastiffs are living forever. 

Has any one bought and used one of those big daddy template bits? Are they less prone to try to throw what ever your template routing across the room? I have a pin and a fence and 2 points of contact always but my template bit seems like it's trying to kill me. Easily the most nerve racking thing i do and i would like a way to make it better.

Currently using 1/2" dia strait bearing bit. 2" in cutting length.

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Has any one bought and used one of those big daddy template bits? Are they less prone to try to throw what ever your template routing across the room? I have a pin and a fence and 2 points of contact always but my template bit seems like it's trying to kill me. Easily the most nerve racking thing i do and i would like a way to make it better.

Currently using 1/2" dia strait bearing bit. 2" in cutting length.

I have one it works very well. I usually try and cut close to the template so I am removing a 1/16" or less makes bits much less prone to grabbing the work.

1 minute ago, pkinneb said:

I have one it works very well. I usually try and cut close to the template so I am removing a 1/16" or less makes bits much less prone to grabbing the work.

That's what i try as well. I cut so there was maybe a 32nd of end grain but end grain is prone to grabbing as it is. I might invest in one of those bits. This feeling of impending doom is not fun.

I should say i am being safe grippers, keeping hands FAR away ect. I just hate the router table but it's a necessary evil. Also it's not the fear of bodily harm its more like knowing someone is going to sneak up behind you with an air horn and is going to blow it at any time but you just never know when.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Has any one bought and used one of those big daddy template bits

the price always scares me away but i do a fair amount of pattern routing so i should just bite the bullet, i did however buy a Whiteside downshear cut bit 1/2 shank, 3/4 diameter, 2" cutting length, top bearing and it cuts very well when pattern routing end grain, i think Infinity woodworking has a bit similar to the Big Daddy and if i can find the catalog i just got i'll get back to you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

the price always scares me away but i do a fair amount of pattern routing so i should just bite the bullet, i did however buy a Whiteside downshear cut bit 1/2 shank, 3/4 diameter, 2" cutting length, top bearing and it cuts very well when pattern routing end grain, i think Infinity woodworking has a bit similar to the Big Daddy and if i can find the catalog i just got i'll get back to you.

The big daddy gives similar results to the Whiteside Ultimate trim bit just looks a bit more menacing...I actually use the Whiteside bit as much if not more than the Big daddy but if I need more than an 1 1/8" height I pull out the big  daddy.

• Like 1

My wife had relatives that owned Boxers and as I recall, they were great dogs. And their’s were kept inside. How much physical activity do they require Steve. I work 10 hours a day and my wife, bless her heart, likes to watch Opra and the likes. And we’re still married, I know? 

Don’t mess with sewing machines. 

I normally send my pants to a clothing alteration place to get hemmed up. It’s one of the most worthwhile ways to spend $10. I bought a new pair of pants and needed them for tomorrow so I decided to do it myself. I was almost done and then I heard a bang and then there’s some blood.  Happened so quickly. 

I’m pretty sure the needle hit my nail and deflected to something softer. A new market for Sawstop here. 

5D1B7D81-A9F5-45AD-A43F-85E27C9F56C9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4