Hijack!

Llama

21 hours ago, Cliff said:

Wife's parents got me a couple of tomahawks for my birthday. Two inches thick. Absolutely brilliant. 

26993264_10155793350995590_7959162076409506911_n.thumb.jpg.35fb9b40aebd63b2f3437e0f355085d5.jpg26907964_10155793350920590_6379380237550481116_n.thumb.jpg.a4d7046a6f2a123c69bea29b02151941.jpg

I’ve been wanting to get one of these but they’re about $40-50 each. Maybe for a birthday. 

How do you cook them? My skillet wouldn’t fit it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Whaaat???  See, so many think that California sucks, but at least we can Bar-B-Que any time we damn well please.

I can grill any time i dang well please i just have to dress accordingly and possibly insulate the grill. :D Also we are just envious of cali and have hate because we don't want to admit that we want to live there. If it wasn't for some of their nanny regulations it'd be more of a consideration. Regulations mind you i believe they need there, i don't disagree with them like iv'e said before they just cramp my style.

5 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

35° yesterday and 40°+ today. Feels like spring here already. 

Near 60 yesterday and now we have a few inches of snow in 9 degree temps, and it's still coming down :)

It'll melt by tomorrow, so it's a non issue.

Even though it's 9, it's not THAT cold... Hard to explain. It's not like 9 degrees when I was in Wisconsin. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chet said:

Whaaat???  See, so many think that California sucks, but at least we can Bar-B-Que any time we damn well please.

I just don't care for grilling out when it's 0 degrees or -20. To me there is a grilling season in IL. I'd move to California right now if my wife would. The weather is nice and one of the only 2 states more liberal than IL.

20 hours ago, Chet said:

It was -12f out a few weeks ago, and I grilled.   A real BBQ'r will grill regardless of the weather, a poser will move to warmer climes ;). 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 8:42 PM, Marmotjr said:

It was -12f out a few weeks ago, and I grilled.   A real BBQ'r will grill regardless of the weather, a poser will move to warmer climes ;). 

Maybe. But I've been called worse things. Honestly at 30-50 degrees last few days it's plenty warm. I will still wait I think. No reason to instantly shove them in my mouth. Their day will come. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 7:48 PM, Cliff said:

Wife's parents got me a couple of tomahawks for my birthday. Two inches thick. Absolutely brilliant. 

26993264_10155793350995590_7959162076409506911_n.thumb.jpg.35fb9b40aebd63b2f3437e0f355085d5.jpg26907964_10155793350920590_6379380237550481116_n.thumb.jpg.a4d7046a6f2a123c69bea29b02151941.jpg

How did these steaks turn out? How did you cook them? I grill in most any weather. Only time I dont is when the wind is blowing too much. 

I have been strictly been using the Weber Kettle for all my cooking. Santa Clause brought me slow and Sear and it has changed everything and perfected the Weber Kettle. A steak like that I would do a reverse sear.

5 hours ago, MattF said:

How did these steaks turn out? How did you cook them? I grill in most any weather. Only time I dont is when the wind is blowing too much. 

I have been strictly been using the Weber Kettle for all my cooking. Santa Clause brought me slow and Sear and it has changed everything and perfected the Weber Kettle. A steak like that I would do a reverse sear.

I have not cooked them yet. I had multiple days of events and such that made it so we couldn't eat at home so I had to freeze them. I also use a weber kettle. I'm not really the master of it yet, but getting better. I just made the switch to charcoal last year. If I had my choice I'd use sous vide then sear it, but I don't have a machine to do that yet. 

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

I have not cooked them yet. I had multiple days of events and such that made it so we couldn't eat at home so I had to freeze them. I also use a weber kettle. I'm not really the master of it yet, but getting better. I just made the switch to charcoal last year. If I had my choice I'd use sous vide then sear it, but I don't have a machine to do that yet. 

I don’t have a sous vide either, but would like to play with one. If you are using a Weber Kettle I highly recommend looking into the Slow And Sear by Adrenaline BBQ. It’s an amazing product that turns the Kettle into a cooking machine! 

12 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Does the sound change when you wave it around ? Pretty interesting case ! Is that something you built from scratch using movie still pics for reference ?

I built everything you see from scratch with the exception of the pommel which came from an online store that does nothing but sell parts for lightsabers. Yep that's a thing.

And yes the sound changes as you move it around and changes again if you hit something. Also if you hit something another led goes off in the blade that changes the color of the blade. The blade is made of polycarbonate and strong enough to duel with. It's pretty spiffy :)

• Like 2