Hijack!

Llama

19 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The "upper deck" for the monitor could ber a simple shelf on legs, with dowels or dominoes out the bottom that mate to holes in the main desktop, and just drop into place. @Woodenskye is on the money with building the drawers as stand-alone pedestals that the desk top sits on. The 9' span would likely need aprons, but those could be built as an open rectangle, with the short side attaching to the drawer pedestals. You could even make that attachment with french cleats, if you wanted quick, tool-free assembly.

21 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

Cliff I think you should do the drawers you want as pedestal like bases.  As for the top they make counter top bolts that you would route out a spot on the underside and they will pull together.  This should allow you to build the top in 2 or 3 sections to allow you to move.  Sorry no pictures, just a thought.

I think I mostly see what you guys are saying. I'm going to work on a sketchup prototype and bring it here for feedback. I'm not sure on the upper deck if I can have loosely set on there or not. I got some plans for it that may require it to be fixed. 

14 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Which gun and what length pin works best ? I've got the gun that shoots up to 2" pins.

Im looking to get a 23ga pin nailer in the next few weeks. Was thinking of getting the Grex. Was curious if the 2" models are worth the extra size and cost? Can you shoot a 1-1/2" - 2" 23ga pin into hardwood and have it go straight? Or is the 2" more for non hardwood applications?

The 1 1/2” pins go into almost anything. The 1 3/4 & 2” pins will follow the grain on occasion and have come out the side in hardwood. But for nailing trim in the house which is where you want a longer pin I’ve never had a problem. 

So easy to clear a (very infrequent) jam too. On board stored Allen wrench plus a no mar tip. 

They aren’t inexpensive but some of the highest quality I’ve ever used in 20+years using micro pins. The Grex brand pins are great too! I’ve shot probably 100,000 of them & wont buy anything else.

• Like 1

Healing up from some bronchitis and ear infection, plus the cold, made me skip the shop this weekend (and last) - so it was time to start catching up on 3 years of comic books that I have stacked up in my office.  I managed to get 17 read today. Sorted the rest into nice neat piles in order of what I need to read. 

26756489_10155776589300590_7083556972918512055_o.thumb.jpg.1a6ced476d27b9d9fa96361d4e3a9127.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I B said:

@Cliff I don't know if you'd be interested in this or not but my friend and I have started using this place to bind certain collections.

http://www.houchenbindery.com/services/comic-books/

My friend has gotten like 9 or 10 books done so far, he get's the graphic print covers, like big fat trades. I just sent off enough for 4 books on Thursday. 53 X-Files comics from the 90s and 52 books from Batman Eternal. I'm getting the buckram cloth covers so they looks like old library books. I've got enough for about 14 or 15 more but I'm in no hurry.

So wouldn't that binding ruin the value of the books? I mean on something like Batman Eternal, those weekly books were worth nothing really (I threw mine away because I can't justify the space) but anything that might not suffer from dramatic overprinting could be worth keeping in good condition ya?

I like the idea though. 

16 hours ago, Alan G said:

Im looking to get a 23ga pin nailer in the next few weeks. Was thinking of getting the Grex. Was curious if the 2" models are worth the extra size and cost? Can you shoot a 1-1/2" - 2" 23ga pin into hardwood and have it go straight? Or is the 2" more for non hardwood applications?

<gasp> actual woodworking question. This thread has truly run its course.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

A mitered frame around a solid wood top is just asking for problems with wood movement sooner or later. The piece across the end grain isn't going to change length but the wood top is going to expand and contract enough to cause a crack someplace. 

I bet it is a plywood top, but who cares when you've just decided to bull right ahead after having a screw blow through the top of the frame.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Years ago one of my guys found an article on building a trebuchet. Their version would throw a grape tomato the length of a conference room. He scaled it up to throw w tennis ball over 300 ft !  It barely fit in his backseat.

I've seen some pretty big ones built for pumpkin chunk'in

On 1/15/2018 at 9:55 PM, lewisc said:

I came across this mitre join today. Some quality work. 

29F1811C-E002-4EFE-874B-38CDB221E9BF.jpeg

That's a new concept Called La Furniture Jewlery. Soon to be in a gallery near you!

That's a new concept Called La Furniture Jewlery. Soon to be in a gallery near you!