Hijack!

Llama

24 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

The first one you break should caution you about use of impact drivers to set torque. I don’t think it should be done.

When I get new tires put on, I pretty much drive straight home and re-torque them properly.

24 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I had to drill a stud that was over torqued by a highly reputable shop that replaced my clutch. There will always be a new guy assigned to menial tasks like re-installing wheels. The first one you break should caution you about use of impact drivers to set torque. I don’t think it should be done. Many disagree. 

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02450A-Limiting-Extension-5-Piece/dp/B000IX3BSM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514480775&sr=8-3&keywords=torque+sticks

I feel like these are controversial as well but my high school shop teacher showed them to us. I bought a set and checked each one with a calibrated torque wrench and they were all within 3-5%. Every time i change from summer to winter tires i use them beats having to set a torque wrench. I would be highly surprised to learn that many tire shops use torque wrenches to install tires.

22 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

... they were all within 3-5%. Every time i change from summer to winter tires i use them beats having to set a torque wrench. I would be highly surprised to learn that many tire shops use torque wrenches to install tires.

I know. Your vehicle, you will do it right. Maybe the tech grabbed the wrong one? Maybe he could not find them? Maybe he trusted his feel? Setting a torque wrench requires a step that makes you make a choice. When warping a brake rotor is a risk, I find it worth it. That said, I doubt my mechanic friend uses one very often. I have seen his high dollar set like that. I just wish I had found out when they were open so that their tech would learn from the drill out. FWIW, it is impossible to overtorque with the factory supplied lug wrench. 

3 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I know. Your vehicle, you will do it right. Maybe the tech grabbed the wrong one? Maybe he could not find them? Maybe he trusted his feel? Setting a torque wrench requires a step that makes you make a choice. When warping a brake rotor is a risk, I find it worth it. That said, I doubt my mechanic friend uses one very often. I have seen his high dollar set like that. I just wish I had found out when they were open so that their tech would learn from the drill out. FWIW, it is impossible to overtorque with the factory supplied lug wrench. 

Have you used torque sticks before? Honestly i don't think they are something that automotive shops have on had or use. I've poked around a few shops and have never seen them. I've mentioned them to mechanics who call them black magic and would never touch them. To me the material science is simple and it's proven technology that is the underpinnings of far more critical things than lug nuts.

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Have you used torque sticks before? Honestly i don't think they are something that automotive shops have on had or use. I've poked around a few shops and have never seen them. I've mentioned them to mechanics who call them black magic and would never touch them. To me the material science is simple and it's proven technology that is the underpinnings of far more critical things than lug nuts.

Torque sticks were designed to under torque within ten or so ft lbs. I think my friend had a count of how many hits on an impact he expected to hear. I have always seen them followed up with something else after. I have never seen them relied on when the shops liability is concerned. 

18 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

when the shops liability is concerned. 

I'm sure the liability of over torquing is less than the liability of under torquing, now that i think about it. Replacing a stud is a heck of a lot cheaper than having to pay out an injury claim or dare i say worse. The interesting part is the tech for the torque wrench is the same as the stick it's all spring steel. I kind of agree on the liability side that they are risky but i'd rather see one on an impact wrench in a guys hand than nothing between the gun and the socket.

I used to check them all on my cars but then got lazy after each one was right around where it should be. I will say you are right they probably aren't the best way and i'm not right because it's my car. I do a low of wrong things with my car, like put the grippier tires on the front.

The interesting debate is how inaccurate all torquing devices are and how a proper torque can only really be measure with bolt stretch. Too many factors can cause issues with torque like friction between the lug and the wheel and friction on the threads. All of that added up will really make you think about the whole accuracy thing. Interestingly enough the head studs on my engine are torque to yield so the exact holding force is based on yielded steel which is easier to predict and calculate. It also eliminates the need for an accurate torque wrench but the procedure needs to be strictly followed.

I should say i'm not trying to change an opinion just having a conversation.

You know how, when you see a child cry or a woman abused, you get sad yourself. Well, I’m freezing my ass off watching y’alls temps drop. One guy they showed in Erie was using a snow plow in -12* temps. There’s plenty of land down here for sale, just saying! 

2 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I’ll shoot a pic tomorrow. The wrench supplied is the reason I now carry a breaker bar in the trunk. 

Might be a different wrench style supplied with different vehicles. My truck came with a forged steel wrench nearly 20" long.  Given my personal best deadlift, I'm pretty sure I could break a stud. At least, a few years ago.

" Watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow ! " the late great Frank Zappa.

I'm just  grateful that the low today was only 37. Dry and the sun was out , I hate snow and ice ! Out in Colorado it's fun to play in but that kind of weather turns the roads into a nightmare here.