Hijack!

Llama

Rant On

There are a few people who have seemingly cornered the market on antique hand planes in the Chicagoland area. I check my local craiglist and rarely see people selling single planes, instead I see guys posting pictures of entire walls of antique hand planes, with a page long list of prices, and of course they want to sell them at premium prices that make me tempted to just buy a new one from Veritas. I guess they have taken the time to tune the antiques up, but I'd rather get them cheaper and handle the tuning up myself.

I realize people can buy and sell as they like and some may prefer to buy one already turned up, just wish a few more slipped through the cracks! :rolleyes:

Rant off 

11 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Rant On

There are a few people who have seemingly cornered the market on antique hand planes in the Chicagoland area. I check my local craiglist and rarely see people selling single planes, instead I see guys posting pictures of entire walls of antique hand planes, with a page long list of prices, and of course they want to sell them at premium prices that make me tempted to just buy a new one from Veritas. I guess they have taken the time to tune the antiques up, but I'd rather get them cheaper and handle the tuning up myself.

I realize people can buy and sell as they like and some may prefer to buy one already turned up, just wish a few more slipped through the cracks! :rolleyes:

Rant off 

I've had really good luck with ebay here. I got both my #4 and #5 tuned them both up and spent less than 80 on both combined. I'm rather fond of the #5 it still has some of the Stanly sticker on the handle.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've had really good luck with ebay here. I got both my #4 and #5 tuned them both up and spent less than 80 on both combined. I'm rather fond of the #5 it still has some of the Stanly sticker on the handle.

yeah maybe I need to check on there more, I guess I just assumed there would be lots of competition driving up the price. 

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

yeah maybe I need to check on there more, I guess I just assumed there would be lots of competition driving up the price. 

When i decided i wanted to buy one i just kept watching the new listings everyone once and a while i'd find someone that would through up a buy it now of a hand plane they'd inherit that was all dirty and rusted but in overall good shape. I saw a #4 i was tempted to buy just now but i don't need to waste $45 on something i don't need. If i had all the time in the world estate sales and garage sales would be my go to for finding them cheap.

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Just stumbled upon this. A rollable tv this could make for some really interesting woodworking opportunities and disrupt the entertainment center once again like flat panel tv's did 15 years ago.

I remember seeing glimpses of this technology a couple years ago, cool to see they've now got it out there as a commercial product. 

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I remember seeing glimpses of this technology a couple years ago, cool to see they've now got it out there as a commercial product. 

Still concept but closer to a commercial product. I imagine that they are still dealing with conductor fatigue and connection issues with the rolling and unrolling, just a guess. I had a guest lecturer in college on OLED displays in 2008 that was talking about all the possibilities of OLED panels. It was very interesting. One of his ideas was a TV t-shirt.

Regarding old buildings, barns and ships, the public library in Athens, TN was an old barn at one time.  One of the staff said they had outgrown the old building  downtown and got the barn and property at a good price.  Nice to see the beams and the plates in the ceiling.  In addition, the part of the property is a marshy place and they have turned it into a gravel nature walk with all kinds of signs about different plants, etc.

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I noticed a few years ago how much the Frosty cups had shrunk. 

A lot of things shrink in the cold.

When your saw horses finally die, can you make wood glue from them?

Also overheard at work today:  "I think the batteries in my chisel are dead".   

3 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

9' top shouldn't be an issue to move unless your trying to use a Mini Cooper! 

So many ways to build furniture out of solid wood that's modular and breaks down.

You wouldn't happen to know any resources to give me ideas? I'm having trouble visualizing the construction. Because I want several drawers, and some pull out shelving drawer slides, and the top will have 2 levels (as in the monitors will be elevated above the desktop on a section that extends across the length)

Cliff I think you should do the drawers you want as pedestal like bases.  As for the top they make counter top bolts that you would route out a spot on the underside and they will pull together.  This should allow you to build the top in 2 or 3 sections to allow you to move.  Sorry no pictures, just a thought.

• Like 2

The "upper deck" for the monitor could ber a simple shelf on legs, with dowels or dominoes out the bottom that mate to holes in the main desktop, and just drop into place. @Woodenskye is on the money with building the drawers as stand-alone pedestals that the desk top sits on. The 9' span would likely need aprons, but those could be built as an open rectangle, with the short side attaching to the drawer pedestals. You could even make that attachment with french cleats, if you wanted quick, tool-free assembly.