Hijack!

Llama

19 hours ago, minorhero said:

I finished my second lightsaber today. Sounds and lights all work. Blade not pictured.

Well yeah, 'cause the blade would burn right through the table.  You don't see Luke just tossing his around.  Oh yeah, he does toss his in the last picture.  

Seriously, I'd be interested to see a little more of how you made/make one.  Consider a mini journal post?  

On 2/2/2018 at 9:35 AM, wdwerker said:

Please, please , please post a video of your light saber in action !

On 2/2/2018 at 2:39 PM, Mark J said:

Well yeah, 'cause the blade would burn right through the table.  You don't see Luke just tossing his around.  Oh yeah, he does toss his in the last picture.  

Seriously, I'd be interested to see a little more of how you made/make one.  Consider a mini journal post?  

I spent the day downtown Minneapolis Saturday checking out the Superbowl festivities. I thought some people might be interested in what it was like so i figured I'd trow a couple pictures up. I'm not a football fan of any sort but the people watching was great. Saw a couple celebrities and countless football players wandering around. It was easy to spot the people that were from out of town.

Some drummer people and backwards letters, honestly face the letters the right direction ....

1136832128019251823.thumb.jpg.0201daf9a47c281a35b3018e7bc56114.jpg

This kind of gives a sense of the crowds. Everything was shoulder to shoulder after about 2pm for the 8 city blocks the event was set up on.

5860202107225393091.thumb.jpg.8a26e1366393346087eb82ac3a8fe2c1.jpg

And the endless traffic.

8934414245512664004.thumb.jpg.c93538904ca99975975f7325fe900431.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I think some hipster millennial got a hold of the planning department and determined that dirt was going to be more "environmentaly friendly".

Please tell me this is a poor attempt at humor? I thought you came from far enough north to know they sand icy roads when the budget does not allow for salt. 

9 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Please tell me this is a poor attempt at humor? I thought you came from far enough north to know they sand icy roads when the budget does not allow for salt. 

Apparently it was a very poor attempt at humor, i guess it might not be widely known that there is a huge movement to decrease the amount of paved surfaces that communities put down. There is a large push to reduce parking lot sizes as well as make roads narrower. To "protect the environment" certain groups want  people to migrate to city centers because the suburbs have such a damaging amount of paved surface.

It's not sand it's just slush, it was snowing that day as you can see in one of the other pictures and the plows were not going to make it through that traffic.

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Pretty crazy down there? I didn't get down there but I heard it was pretty cool.

In the nicolet mall area there was stuff going on at every corner and it was shoulder to shoulder people there after 2pm. I got there early and left early so i don't know what it was like at night but my friends that stayed said it got even more crowded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I B said:

kJTzlw1.gif

It's only 304 mortises and 304 tenons. Double that when you make a pair. 

xM1i2Dd.gif

Fuuuuck! It's going to be a long spring/summer. On the plus side, it's not much material.

You brought this on yourself young'un.  But you have done a helluva job for a newbie. Glad you're a part of the group.

• Thanks 1

Ahh in that case, I recommend some of this Japanese paper. It was what I used on a cabinet last year. When you consider the cost of the paper vs. the shipping, it makes sense to order a bunch of sheets at once. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UI78O2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is quite durable and looks great. 

I used this special Japanese rice glue to adhere it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L9YLHQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

though the price does seem to have climbed a couple dollars since last year.

Also, I think you could do many/perhaps all of those joints with dowels. If you don't already have one, a good self centering jig is pretty reasonably priced. 

it diffuses the light. It is made for making shoji screens, paper lanterns, so it is right inline with your Japanese idea. Also, you might consider adding some Kumiko patterns. 

I think with a lot of lamps, you want the light diffused at eye level, so you get a nice glow, but not blinded. You also want the top of the shade open so the light can shoot upward and reflect off the ceiling. So, not sure what bulbs you have in mind, if you want it to produce more light, make sure the top bulb has its base under the bulb, so it doesn't block the light. 

This is my hand right up against it. I think it will work well for you. 

IMG_20180206_134227943.thumb.jpg.54087c80c8add5e6a02b126432165aba.jpg

Journey before destination, i get that and agree. I don't have much furniture and instead of getting stuff for a stop gap i just want to try and get things made faster. The morris chair builds is teaching me i like designing and building a lot more than just the building part. I have some wacky ideas floating around that as soon as i get done with house stuff i'll try making.