Hijack!

Llama

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

I notice Festool has a lot of sanders, ranging from around $200 to $600 new, if you don't mind, what are the biggest differences? I'm thinking about making the leap and getting a sander and one of their dust extractors. 

So i may not be the most knowledgeable, i got most of my info fromy Shane.

The big difference is size and motor type.

The ETS 125s are a 5" sander (125mm) and the ETS 150 is a 6" (150mm)

They also recently introduced the ETS EC in both sizes 125 and 150. This sander has a brushless motor a bit different design and a feature to detect if they vac hose is connected. It offers a bit more power than the brushed motor models but the big thing for me was the ergonomics. I don't like how tall the ETS line was.

In the above there are different sanding stroke sizes associated from 2mm all the way to 5mm the argument is the larger the stroke the more material is removed but the worse sanding quality. I chose the 3mm ETS EC because i generally use hand tools to do rough finishing and then even everything up with the sander. At the lowest i sand with 150 grit.

Moving away from random orbital to regular orbital is the DTS and RTS sanders. They are delta and square shaped respectively. With them not being round they obviously sand to corners better. With them not being random orbital you should expect more pigtails, I'll confirm this when i get my RTS.

The last is the rotex line. They are a geared orbital sander that when engaged prevents the pad rotation from stopping. This allows for VERY aggressive stock removal that is commonly compared to a belt sander. The sanding quality obviously suffers as a result. The geared drive is selectable so when disengaged the operate similar to a coarse stroke random orbiting sander. The consensus is that the finish quality on the ETS line is superior to the rotex. I don't have first hand experience. I wanted a nice slight easily maneuvered sander so i never really considered the rotex. If your doing a lot of heavy stock removal or refinishing they are a nice sander to have though i'd still again use hand tools for most of the rough removal because i feel it's faster and keep surfaces flatter.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2018 at 8:33 AM, Chestnut said:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b195991ddc48b132bcf89c20713394c5.jpg

Ordered from festool recon and this shipping page is super cool. Not really any point to it but still cool. Kinda excited to try out this RTS 400 bought it honestly for touch up drywall work based off a recommendation on FOG.

Damn Hodgkins. Always holding onto midwest packages too long.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, lewisc said:

This is a serious bit of WOW!.

https://www.invaluable.com/catalog/1w8jhsieo4

It's a deceased estate auction that belonged to a cabinetmaker. Not much use if you're not downunder but there's history there. 

Lewis, that is the most amazing collection I've ever seen.  Wow doesn't even come close.  Tell you what..... offer them $100.00 US and you and I will split the collection between us.  I don't think that guy was a woodworker, he didn't have the time to work wood. He was to busy cleaning and buying.

My wife wants a puppie, and as her cat just passed, I feel obligated. As a Lab owner in the past, as I was a duck and goose hunter, I ‘ve never had an inside/outside dog. My restrictions, no ankle bitter, yapper, or long haired, sweep every day dog. Anyone have a suggestion? Oh, and no damn pit bull, sorry if I pissed anyone off. 

8 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

My wife wants a puppie, and as her cat just passed, I feel obligated. As a Lab owner in the past, as I was a duck and goose hunter, I ‘ve never had an inside/outside dog. My restrictions, no ankle bitter, yapper, or long haired, sweep every day dog. Anyone have a suggestion? Oh, and no damn pit bull, sorry if I pissed anyone off. 

Let me tell you about my favorite dog, the English Mastiff. 

Perks-

1. Lazy. Dog just wants to sleep and snuggle. 
2. Kind, gentle and loving. 
3. Protector. Sweetest dogs on the planet, but turn into raging psychopaths that will do anything to protect their owners when they are threatened. 
4. Not ankle biters.
5. Sheds about 3 times per year. It's not the worst thing ever if you brush them. 
6. They are super careful with children and smaller dogs usually. 

Males get up to 350-400lbs. Females usually 150-225. 

Lot of problems too though-

1. Slobbery. You just get used to it.
2. They are just huge and don't realize it. So when they step on you it can hurt.
3. They eat a lot and you have to buy great food because it needs to be balanced for giant dogs. They can't grow too fast.
4. When they get old they can get arthritis and hip displasia. It's worse if they grow too fast. It's worse if they use stairs a lot or are overworked/excercised. 
5. Costs way more to get flea and heartguard because that stuff goes by weight. 
6. They gotta start taking glucosamine to help with their joints. 

I got two. I've spent around $3000 in the past month and a half because the big one injured herself and we had to buy a 2nd set of everything for the new "baby." This has set my new table saw fund back a lot. 

Still they are amazing pets and friends. Here they are. Left one is 80lbs/10 months old. Right one is 6 years old, 150lbs.

IMG959319.thumb.jpg.af2fa9a958ec92ed73919a20c32db645.jpg