Hijack!

Llama

6 hours ago, I B said:

It didn't come with any blades. I was at a toss up between Starrett and Timberwolf but talked to a couple guys about it and decided to give Starrett blades a shot. I got a couple 1/2" x 4tpi for resawing and straight cuts and a couple 3/16" x 10tpi for curves.

Other than reindeer i haven't had any reason in my work to use the smaller blades on my band saw. I see you have a small jointer there, after i had a jointer and my band saw close together my table saw use has declined for basic ripping. I still use it for joinry and ply products. On mine I've had some issues being able to tighten the guide knobs enough. I want to swap mine out with wing nuts. The issue is my hand strength so not the machine's fault.

Nice spot for it hope that it all works out well.

I learned in an earlier life that no matter how big your space is, within a year you will wish it was bigger.

The company that I worked for at the time bought a 100 foot x 300 foot shop for sheet metal work. We had about eight employees, a shear, press brake, iron worker and a roll. Four of the employees were welders one shear man two layout men (one of them was me) and a press brake man. We all worked together on all of the machines as needed of course.

Within the first year we were crowded and needing more room. We had sixteen employees and a bunch of new machinery of course.

• Like 1

What do you think of this piece? I like the continuity of the grain but the top piece is out of place to me. 

I’ve been looking at some TV units recently. Ours is a 4x2 ikea bookshelf turned on it’s side. Almost time for a replacement. 

24FD7FB4-6300-4526-9CAD-561BEDDECB98.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lewisc said:

What do you think of this piece? I like the continuity of the grain but the top piece is out of place to me. 

I’ve been looking at some TV units recently. Ours is a 4x2 ikea bookshelf turned on it’s side. Almost time for a replacement. 

24FD7FB4-6300-4526-9CAD-561BEDDECB98.jpeg

Not my taste but kinda cool. It almost looks like there is finish on the bottom two rows but not the top. 

Top board is a little too light. But you arrange the boards as best you can and by the time you get the finish on it's a crap shoot. This is one reason I constantly test finishes on scrap from the actual project. But trying to add just a tiny bit of color to that top board usually makes things worse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a pro, but I guess he had never seen a tree like this before.   I would have wanted the notch deeper, and more horizontal on that tree,  cut straight towards the notch, and planned one escape route beforehand.  Also, I almost never make a stumping cut anything but horizontal.   I'm sure that guy knows a lot more about it than me though.

Dead trees are dangerous.  When I was young, and foolish, I pushed one, to push it over, with a loader.  The top fell back on the top of the 955, and left marks.  I never tried to push over a dead tree again.  I was just lucky that I was on a machine that had strong overhead protection.  If I had been on a tractor that day, I wouldn't be here now.

I think the camera might have been on a tripod, as no idiot would stay in that place, and shouldn't have been put there to start with.

Just remember moment of inertia is (1/12)bh^3

Where
b= base of beam
h= height of beam

deflection is (5wL^4)/(384EI)

Where
w=load per unit length
L= legnth
E= Modulus of elasticity
I=Moment of Inertia

Make sure all units are the same typically inches is used. Wood database has published E values for most woods.

Have fun :D eerr wait you said easier not tougher.

• Haha 1