Hijack!

Llama

Yeah, people get killed getting wrapped up in rotary tools (not typically handheld ones, but still). There is a reason they tell you not to wear loose clothing, jewelry, etc. Years ago, a guy in my high school lost an arm after he got it stuck in a mixer at a bakery he was working at part time, I never forgot that. 

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

We had a guy in high school who walked with one crutch, thus his " Tripod " nickname.  

I don't think a hair net would have saved his beard. Do they make beard aprons ? 

They do actually, I have one as I have a majestic beard as well.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:59 AM, Chestnut said:

Yeah i don't really feel sorry for the guy his headphones are wrapped in the thing as well. Dumb person silly beard, he got what he deserved.

I run my headphones, when using them, down in my shirt. And don't hate on us bearded folk, just like with clean shaven people, there are just as many ugly faces out there and there are ugly beards.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, Isaac said:

Yeah, people get killed getting wrapped up in rotary tools (not typically handheld ones, but still). There is a reason they tell you not to wear loose clothing, jewelry, etc. Years ago, a guy in my high school lost an arm after he got it stuck in a mixer at a bakery he was working at part time, I never forgot that. 

In an Intro to Machining class i took for my Mechanical Engineering degree, many years back, we had a kid refuse to put his hair up on multiple occasions, despite the professors stern warnings numerous times. Long story short we were working on the lathes and I got to watch his hair get caught and rip off a large chunk of his hair and scalp. That was fun.

• Like 1

I didn’t want to start a new new thread for this, thought I would throw it in here. Anyone ever make a ZCI for a bandsaw? I have no idea how to start, except for maybe a piece of blue tape across the throat. And no, never made one for the ts, just bought it. Mine is a Grizz G0555X if it matters. 

Copying the exterior shape Is a beginning point. Pretty sure a lip needs to be rabbeted around the exterior. The ones I made from UMHW (the white slippery plastic) have sagged a bit. Phenolic sheet would be a better choice. Accuracy will be important. But once you get a template just right make a bunch. Pattern routing and double face tape should work.  But extra care with such a small part will be needed.

For a quick zero clearance on my bandsaw I just add a scrap of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF to cover the entire table. I drilled 4 holes near the corners for screws and made sure there wasn't any ribs in the way first. A small chamfer is always smart after you drill cast iron. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, K Cooper said:

I didn’t want to start a new new thread for this, thought I would throw it in here. Anyone ever make a ZCI for a bandsaw? I have no idea how to start, except for maybe a piece of blue tape across the throat. And no, never made one for the ts, just bought it. Mine is a Grizz G0555X if it matters. 

Grizzly makes a small slot insert for the G0555x.

• Like 1

I was at an engagement party this evening in a hall that had a half basketball court. I noticed the floor was a herringbone pattern which I’m sure is solid wood. 

How would a floor like this take movement into account? I’m assuming they’d be glued to a substrate of some sort. 

3A5017C8-5D85-48D6-9D3A-68A142BC1A37.jpeg

That floor would have just been nailed above the tongues, just like any other pattern of strip flooring.  It has end matched tongue and grooves, as well as along the sides.  For that pattern, all the pieces just have to be exactly the same length, and came out of some automated machines.  It's free to move, just like any other strip flooring. 

Looks like 2-1/4" strip flooring to me, which isn't wide enough to move enough to matter for a floor.   Only when you get up to 5" wide does it move enough to be noticeable during heating season, and even then, it's not that bad.  When I was building houses, 5" White Oak was my standard go-to.  You can tell the difference in Winter, but it's nothing that matters for a floor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another shipping fail from Acme.  I've made exactly three purchases from Acme, the first two were freight and both freight companies sucked to work with.  This one...a simple reciprocating saw.  No freight, easy peasy, right?  It shipped on 05/17.  It's now 05/27 and the dang thing isn't here.  Shipped through "spee-dee delivery," the tracking shows it in the same city for two or three days at a time before it moves.  Acme it's self is great, nothing but good customer service, but I suppose they contract out to the cheapest shipping companies possible.

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

That sucks. I have three, two never used, all DeWalt, purchased as a package and one is yours, freight paid. We’re talking Sawsall type thingy, right? Pm me and it’s yours, 18 V battery not included. Coop

You're too kind Coop, but that's not necessary.  The immediate project I needed it for is done, and I'm looking to switch over to primarily Milwaukee hand/power tools.  Throw those suckers up on Fleabay and get you some beer money!

On 5/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, K Cooper said:

That sucks. I have three, two never used, all DeWalt, purchased as a package and one is yours, freight paid. We’re talking Sawsall type thingy, right? Pm me and it’s yours, 18 V battery not included. Coop

Damn I'd buy one off ya. I need one of those. And I got several 18v batteries. 

I can’t hardly put a price on an item that nice:D. Let me make sure I still have all three (I could have a 10’ live oak growing in my shop and wouldn’t know it) and if so, will make you the same deal as Blue. I’ll pm you. It’s been hell on wheels at work so if you don’t hear from me in a couple of days, shoot me a reminder, please. 

Pricing question:

a friend has asked about making a coffee table. She said she’d  pay for  materials and time. I’m not so much worried about money for time as it’s not my source of income, it’s for a friend etc. Just enough to cover a small tool or so. 

The first question I asked was:

what’s your budget?

Is a good question to ask straight up? It seems invasive. I figure that will help determine the type of timber that gets used. The other questions were about style, sizes and timber species.